Do you use a laptop as a desktop?

Found 23rd May
I'm about to start doing this and wondered if anyone had any tips?

I would have dual screens but the laptop will take up too much room on my desk.

Cheers
Community Updates
AskComputersDesktopLaptop
29 Comments
Get a dock for your laptop, then it can be kept closed and you can still have a dual monitor setup.
What sort of tips are you looking for? Aside from it being a smaller form factor but being significantly more expensive for an equivalent specification, there shouldn't really be any other significant differences when it comes to operation.
Illusionary3 m ago

What sort of tips are you looking for? Aside from it being a smaller form …What sort of tips are you looking for? Aside from it being a smaller form factor but being significantly more expensive for an equivalent specification, there shouldn't really be any other significant differences when it comes to operation.

What do you mean more expensive?
superfreddy16 m ago

What do you mean more expensive?

For the same specification, a laptop will cost more than the equivalent desktop.

Another way to look at it is that for the same money, a typical laptop will have a lower specification than a desktop.
You need to go into your battery settings and set it to plugged in but not charging.
Illusionary3 m ago

For the same specification, a laptop will cost more than the equivalent …For the same specification, a laptop will cost more than the equivalent desktop.Another way to look at it is that for the same money, a typical laptop will have a lower specification than a desktop.

I get that, however I wanted a laptop so that it's portable. So yeah it may have worked out more, but I get the best of both worlds. The monitor is also for games consoles too.
RiverDragon858 s ago

You need to go into your battery settings and set it to plugged in but not …You need to go into your battery settings and set it to plugged in but not charging.

For what sorry?
When you use your laptop you'll always have it plugged into the mains. You need to go into your battery settings and change it to plugged in no charging. This will preserve the life of your battery.
superfreddy10 m ago

I get that, however I wanted a laptop so that it's portable. So yeah it …I get that, however I wanted a laptop so that it's portable. So yeah it may have worked out more, but I get the best of both worlds. The monitor is also for games consoles too.

That's fair enough - but if you're getting a laptop so that it's portable, that's not "using it as a desktop", which was the premise of your question.
RiverDragon816 m ago

When you use your laptop you'll always have it plugged into the mains. You …When you use your laptop you'll always have it plugged into the mains. You need to go into your battery settings and change it to plugged in no charging. This will preserve the life of your battery.

But then surely I'll need to change it everytime I need to charge it?
superfreddy4 m ago

But then surely I'll need to change it everytime I need to charge it?

On my laptop it charges to 60% then stops charging. If you know you need the laptop elsewhere at 100% then disable the battery setting (15 sec's of your time).
RiverDragon81 m ago

On my laptop it charges to 60% then stops charging. If you know you need …On my laptop it charges to 60% then stops charging. If you know you need the laptop elsewhere at 100% then disable the battery setting (15 sec's of your time).

Doesn't it keep topping up the battery to keep it to 60% though? I'm not sure I get you.
On my laptop I can change the battery settings to when it's plug into the mains all the time it will charge the battery to 60% and then stop charging. This preserves the life of the battery. If you always have your laptop plugged into the mains and your battery is at 100% fully charged.... in a few years time the battery will be fked, it kills the battery.
RiverDragon87 m ago

On my laptop I can change the battery settings to when it's plug into the …On my laptop I can change the battery settings to when it's plug into the mains all the time it will charge the battery to 60% and then stop charging. This preserves the life of the battery. If you always have your laptop plugged into the mains and your battery is at 100% fully charged.... in a few years time the battery will be fked, it kills the battery.

Can you do that to 80% then or just 60%?

Surely though your charger constantly tops it up to 60% so it's still always charging it?

I'm guessing yours is always plugged in too then?
You can charge your battery to 80%,90%,100% if you want then stop it charging, that's up to you (if your laptop has this setting). To maximise your battery life you want to charge it at a lower % (my laptop default is 60%).

I did use a laptop + monitor setup for about 8 months.
RiverDragon88 h, 4 m ago

You can charge your battery to 80%,90%,100% if you want then stop it …You can charge your battery to 80%,90%,100% if you want then stop it charging, that's up to you (if your laptop has this setting). To maximise your battery life you want to charge it at a lower % (my laptop default is 60%).I did use a laptop + monitor setup for about 8 months.

Where do you do this?
You can get a dual monitor stand with laptop mount for such a setup which would clear up some desk space.

Like this one.
This whole thread reads like a troll pot although I'm sure it's not!
I work from home, work supplies a laptop.

I use 2 24” 1080p monitors on a clamp style mount off the back of the desk.
Keep the laptop closed towards the back and use a wireless mouse and keyboard.
The laptop makes a handy storage point to rest my Skype headset.
Oneday7750 m ago

I work from home, work supplies a laptop. I use 2 24” 1080p monitors on a c …I work from home, work supplies a laptop. I use 2 24” 1080p monitors on a clamp style mount off the back of the desk. Keep the laptop closed towards the back and use a wireless mouse and keyboard. The laptop makes a handy storage point to rest my Skype headset.

So if you power off your laptop via windows on the monitor, do you then have to open the laptop to start it all up again?
superfreddy5 m ago

So if you power off your laptop via windows on the monitor, do you then …So if you power off your laptop via windows on the monitor, do you then have to open the laptop to start it all up again?

If I power it off yes. I tend to just lock it and let it go to sleep.
Any updates I do restart.
It isn’t like I bury it so can still get access.

I do need to use mini-Display port to HDMI for one screen and HDMI for the other. The laptop has the 2 ports but my monitors don’t support DP or daisy chaining.
The components in a laptop are squashed together as close as possible, so don't last as long as similar components in a desktop, due to extra heat. If you plan to replace the laptop every 3 or 4 years it probably won't matter.

Did you have a desktop before? I'm trying understand what it is you are looking to achieve, your OP is a little vague.
superfreddy11 h, 54 m ago

Can you do that to 80% then or just 60%?Surely though your charger …Can you do that to 80% then or just 60%?Surely though your charger constantly tops it up to 60% so it's still always charging it? I'm guessing yours is always plugged in too then?

Lithium-ion charge loss is very slow so I wouldn't expect much charging to be required.

Charge cycles are a factor in battery life but so are other things. In this case lithium batteries don't like being kept at high or low voltage (charge) for a long period of time, which is why storing them around mid-charge means they hold onto their capacity for much longer.
whats_the_deal1 h, 14 m ago

The components in a laptop are squashed together as close as possible, so …The components in a laptop are squashed together as close as possible, so don't last as long as similar components in a desktop, due to extra heat. If you plan to replace the laptop every 3 or 4 years it probably won't matter.Did you have a desktop before? I'm trying understand what it is you are looking to achieve, your OP is a little vague.

So basically, I prefer a laptop, however I wanted the option to plug it into a monitor to use it as a desktop when I'm in my office.

If I have a desktop, it's not portable which is something I need.
EndlessWaves52 m ago

Lithium-ion charge loss is very slow so I wouldn't expect much charging to …Lithium-ion charge loss is very slow so I wouldn't expect much charging to be required. Charge cycles are a factor in battery life but so are other things. In this case lithium batteries don't like being kept at high or low voltage (charge) for a long period of time, which is why storing them around mid-charge means they hold onto their capacity for much longer.

How do I amend this on my laptop then, and surely if I set it to 75%, it'll keep topping it up being on charge all the time?
You could just use a HDMI cable from laptop to the monitor and shut the laptop lid, while disabling the sleep on lid shut function. If you have two monitors, you might need to find a laptop that supports dual monitor output. I don't know how rare that is, but it is probably something you'll have to pay more money for.
I'm only having one monitor connected to the laptop so dual monitors not an issue.
superfreddy6 h, 23 m ago

How do I amend this on my laptop then, and surely if I set it to 75%, …How do I amend this on my laptop then, and surely if I set it to 75%, it'll keep topping it up being on charge all the time?

HP laptops don't have this setting. Your laptop will fully charge whilst plugged into the mains.
RiverDragon82 h, 12 m ago

HP laptops don't have this setting. Your laptop will fully charge whilst …HP laptops don't have this setting. Your laptop will fully charge whilst plugged into the mains.

Reading online, it seems modern batteries are fine to do this with.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions