Groups

Do you want to...

...build a snowman

25 Comments

dcx_badass;4216900

Two in court over assault killing Also the 15 year olds mum should be … Two in court over assault killing Also the 15 year olds mum should be locked up!

wouldnt agree about his mum. sometimes people can turn out to be scum, doesnt mean the parents have done it.
    My brother is on drugs and all that yet i turned out ok. That wouldnt make it my mums fault.

Sometimes fair enough, the parents are no good, but where is the evidence this kids mum is no good?

Can anyone explain to me why we don't still hang people for acts of violence like this and knife crimes? I think this country would be a safer more humane place to live if people knew the consequences of their violence against another person.

Courts handing out ASBO's to teenagers that mug and vandalise the community, who then laugh at the judge because they know they see the ASBO as something to brag about to their friends and give them a status in their gang!!

Teenage murderers that get put in a young offenders unit (with TV's, latest games consoles and their own room) for 4-6 years only to come out well educated, given a re-location anywhere they want, new name and the chance to get a good job with no-one knowing who they really are.

WHY???? :x

stefor;4217215

Can anyone explain to me why we don't still hang people for acts of … Can anyone explain to me why we don't still hang people for acts of violence like this and knife crimes? I think this country would be a safer more humane place to live if people knew the consequences of their violence against another person.

How exactly would taking someone else's life be humane? :?

dcx_badass;4217352

Well the boys sister was taken away and put into a juvenile detention … Well the boys sister was taken away and put into a juvenile detention centre place a few years ago when she was like 15 because she took a hammer to a park with the intent of using it as a weapon. So after that the mum should have cracked down on the boy!

In my belief, some people can not be cracked down on. They will do what they want, bad parent or not

jah128;4217430

I'd be more inclined to call it justice, and a good way to remove some of the fecal matter of society... And maybe put the fear of God into the rest of those hoodlums.

jah128;4217430

It would be a more humane place because thugs wouldn't think of plunging the knife in if they knew they would definitely die for it, so stopping the act in the first place!!

9 out of 10 violent street crimes get solved because of thugs bragging to mates, evidence and CCTV. At the moment they just get locked up. That doesn't teach them anything, they come out harder, more clued up and more angry. Would anyone stamp on another persons head, knife or shot someone if it was definite that they would die for doing it?

stefor;4219503

It would be a more humane place because thugs wouldn't think of plunging … It would be a more humane place because thugs wouldn't think of plunging the knife in if they knew they would definitely die for it, so stopping the act in the first place!! 9 out of 10 violent street crimes get solved because of thugs bragging to mates, evidence and CCTV. At the moment they just get locked up. That doesn't teach them anything, they come out harder, more clued up and more angry. Would anyone stamp on another persons head, knife or shot someone if it was definite that they would die for doing it?

Yeah of course thats right, after all, there are no murders or other violent crimes in American states with the death penalty are there :roll:

PS Think about some of the garbage you write sometimes. "9 out of 10 violent street crimes get solved because of thugs bragging to mates, evidence and CCTV." What does that even mean - its a stupid statement to make, its makes so little sense you can't have even copied it from the gutter-press.

jah128;4219989

Yeah of course thats right, after all, there are no murders or other … Yeah of course thats right, after all, there are no murders or other violent crimes in American states with the death penalty are there :roll:

Have you ever seen a TV show featuring people on death row in America?

jah128;4217430

DragonChris;4218215

I'd be more inclined to call it justice, and a good way to remove some of … I'd be more inclined to call it justice, and a good way to remove some of the fecal matter of society... And maybe put the fear of God into the rest of those hoodlums.

stefor;4219503

It would be a more humane place because thugs wouldn't think of plunging … It would be a more humane place because thugs wouldn't think of plunging the knife in if they knew they would definitely die for it, so stopping the act in the first place!!

Typical thread on this topic. The occasional thoughtful person like jah128 makes a serious contribution followed by obtuse posters attempting to close down thought by trotting out received conservative rubbish.

The fear of 'god' ???! It frightens me to know I'm surrounded by so many imbecilic judges.

You can lead a horse to water jah128 but you can't make it drink... :-(

Liddle ol' me;4220642

Typical thread on this topic. The occasional thoughtful person like … Typical thread on this topic. The occasional thoughtful person like jah128 makes a serious contribution followed by obtuse posters attempting to close down thought by trotting out received conservative rubbish. The fear of 'god' ???! It frightens me to know I'm surrounded by so many imbecilic judges. You can lead a horse to water jah128 but you can't make it drink... :-(

I wasn't commenting on the humanity aspect - Clearly people who commit these crimes have very little humanity about them - So why show them more respect than they deserve? Apologies if I want to rid the world of heartless scum, by being equally heartless in my opinions.

The difference between killing the thugs and killing the victims, is that the thugs earned their spot on the chopping block.

*edit* Who says we're not being serious?

Liddle ol' me;4220642

Typical thread on this topic. The occasional thoughtful person like … Typical thread on this topic. The occasional thoughtful person like jah128 makes a serious contribution followed by obtuse posters attempting to close down thought by trotting out received conservative rubbish. The fear of 'god' ???! It frightens me to know I'm surrounded by so many imbecilic judges. You can lead a horse to water jah128 but you can't make it drink... :-(

You are probably surrounded by more 'imbeciles' than you think. Whenever public opinion is tested on capital punishment, the results are always in the balance. Maybe this thread is typical for this topic because many people are in favour of capital punishment as a natural reaction. "An eye for an eye", "they have lost their right to live" etc.

Your response to this?

Label them imbeciles and trot out the cliched 'horse to water' line. It may not be typical, but a thoughtful and serious contribution it most certainly is not.

:lol: @ cliche. "An eye for an eye", "they have lost their right to live" etc.

Can you be sure that everyone that you would take glee in seeing killed is guilty? Miscarriages of justice do occur, actually quite often. Perfectly innocent people have been killed in the name of 'justice' - how can that ever be condoned?

DragonChris;4220849

I wasn't commenting on the humanity aspect - Clearly people who commit … I wasn't commenting on the humanity aspect - Clearly people who commit these crimes have very little humanity about them - So why show them more respect than they deserve? Apologies if I want to rid the world of heartless scum, by being equally heartless in my opinions. The difference between killing the thugs and killing the victims, is that the thugs earned their spot on the chopping block.*edit* Who says we're not being serious?

Never apologise for something you mean. It's insincere.

If you read my post carefully you'll see that I didn't claim any lack of seriousness on your part. Quite the opposite, as condoning killing is a serious business in my mind. But I did accuse you of imbecility, obtuseness, social conservatism, and being frighteningly full of received nonsense. I stand by every one of those claims.

smidav;4220993

You are probably surrounded by more 'imbeciles' than you think. Whenever … You are probably surrounded by more 'imbeciles' than you think. Whenever public opinion is tested on capital punishment, the results are always in the balance. Maybe this thread is typical for this topic because many people are in favour of capital punishment as a natural reaction. "An eye for an eye", "they have lost their right to live" etc. Your response to this?Label them imbeciles and trot out the cliched 'horse to water' line. It may not be typical, but a thoughtful and serious contribution it most certainly is not.

If public opinion is in the balance about this, then I'm probably surrounded by less imbeciles than I thought. I was thinking 60-70%.

You are right about my post though. But you might have discerned a large dose of disdain and surrender in it. Tbh, I'm a sick of arguing with social conservatives on these issues, as they aren't open to nuanced conversations. But at least with clichés I can give them the type of language they understand!

jah128;4221048

:lol: @ cliche. "An eye for an eye", "they have lost their right to live" … :lol: @ cliche. "An eye for an eye", "they have lost their right to live" etc.Can you be sure that everyone that you would take glee in seeing killed is guilty? Miscarriages of justice do occur, actually quite often. Perfectly innocent people have been killed in the name of 'justice' - how can that ever be condoned?

Miscarriages do occur, how often I would not know. Of course killing innocent people cannot be condoned, although I see no glee expressed here at the prospect of guilty people suffering such fate.

I'm playing Devils advocate here, I don't have the answer, but I find it hard to sometimes justify the existance of people found guilty of committing such horrendous crimes. If the people reported in this case are charged and found guilty, they will almost certainly be free to walk the streets again before reaching the age of the man they stand accused of killing. This can only sway the public away from a more humanitarian solution.

What I'm trying to say is that you serve your argument better when constructive statements or questions are put forward.

smidav;4221342

Miscarriages do occur, how often I would not know. Of course killing … Miscarriages do occur, how often I would not know. Of course killing innocent people cannot be condoned, although I see no glee expressed here at the prospect of guilty people suffering such fate.I'm playing Devils advocate here, I don't have the answer, but I find it hard to sometimes justify the existance of people found guilty of committing such horrendous crimes. If the people reported in this case are charged and found guilty, they will almost certainly be free to walk the streets again before reaching the age of the man they stand accused of killing. This can only sway the public away from a more humanitarian solution.What I'm trying to say is that you serve your argument better when constructive statements or questions are put forward.

What a mealy-mouthed answer. You "find it hard to sometimes justify the existance of people found guilty of committing such horrendous crimes." That means what exactly? That you think it is acceptable to extinguish their existence? :?

Your post contains neither constructive statements nor any questions, the two things you claim make an argument better. Instead it attempts unsuccessfully to hide your argument from what I can see That's my reading of it anyway, but I remain open to the idea that you are genuinely uncertain about whether you support capital punishment or not. :thumbsup:

dcx_badass;4221398

Here's an idea, stay on topic and don't debate the death penalty or get … Here's an idea, stay on topic and don't debate the death penalty or get the **** out my thread.

What? Your thread? Like you own this space, this bandwidth on a misc forum on deals site and you get to decide exactly what is and isn't written? Get over yourself :roll:

What exactly is the topic? "Murdered when buying a bottle of wine." This?"Also the 15 year olds mum should be locked up!" Or maybe this?

dcx_badass;4221398

Here's an idea, stay on topic and don't debate the death penalty or get … Here's an idea, stay on topic and don't debate the death penalty or get the **** out my thread.

jah128;4221532

What? Your thread? Like you own this space, this bandwidth on a misc … What? Your thread? Like you own this space, this bandwidth on a misc forum on deals site and you get to decide exactly what is and isn't written? Get over yourself :roll:What exactly is the topic? "Murdered when buying a bottle of wine." This?"Also the 15 year olds mum should be locked up!" Or maybe this?

Give the OP a break jah128. The people who post these 'crime and punishment' threads are often the least able to deal with the debate that they bring out. ;-)

I don't know if its true in this case or not but many of these sorts of incidents can also be linked with low intelligence and lack of opportunity. I am not saying that everyone of low intelligence or who has lacked opportunities will kill. Just that the incidence of this sort of thing is likely to be higher in areas where this is the case. Thats my theory anyway.
    Persons with less strings to their bow may in some instances be more likely to act in ways that others would not. Education is possibly the best answer as this will teach skills that have been missed. These are just as likely to be social skills as academic ones.

Liddle ol' me;4221517

What a mealy-mouthed answer. You "find it hard to sometimes justify the … What a mealy-mouthed answer. You "find it hard to sometimes justify the existance of people found guilty of committing such horrendous crimes." That means what exactly? That you think it is acceptable to extinguish their existence? :?Your post contains neither constructive statements nor any questions, the two things you claim make an argument better. Instead it attempts unsuccessfully to hide your argument from what I can see That's my reading of it anyway, but I remain open to the idea that you are genuinely uncertain about whether you support capital punishment or not. :thumbsup:

I don't know how much clearer I can make this for you. I am not in favour of the death sentence, but in some cases I find it hard to justify why people who commit the most heinous of crimes should contiunue to live along side those of us who do not.

I believe that the all-too-lenient sentences handed down to those found guilty of the worst kind of offences fuel the fire of those who support the sort of punishment you so vehementily detest. Is that constructive enough? Maybe I hide my questions/statements as well as you hide your surrender to the 'opposition' ?

You are right about one thing however, in certain cases I am uncertain about whether I support capital punishment or not. So far there is nothing at all in your arguments presented here to pursuade me to follow your beliefs.

smidav;4227516

I don't know how much clearer I can make this for you. I am not in … I don't know how much clearer I can make this for you. I am not in favour of the death sentence, but in some cases I find it hard to justify why people who commit the most heinous of crimes should contiunue to live along side those of us who do not.

READ:I am in favour of the death sentence for some people...

smidav;4227516

I believe that the all-too-lenient sentences handed down to those found … I believe that the all-too-lenient sentences handed down to those found guilty of the worst kind of offences fuel the fire of those who support the sort of punishment you so vehementily detest. Is that constructive enough? Maybe I hide my questions/statements as well as you hide your surrender to the 'opposition' ?

READ:...but rather than admit my position openly, I will make the case for capital punishment in others' names. ( I am a bit cowardly like that.)

smidav;4227516

You are right about one thing however, in certain cases I am uncertain … You are right about one thing however, in certain cases I am uncertain about whether I support capital punishment or not. So far there is nothing at all in your arguments presented here to pursuade me to follow your beliefs.

READ: But on second thoughts, because I'm sure you can read me like a book, I'll hedge my answer and half-admit to what I hold to be true.

;-)

I'll try again, see if you can READ: this ok

I am not in favour of the death sentence for anybody, though sometimes I find myself searching my conscience.

If I am asked for justification of why some of the worst offenders (those without conceivable defences such as age, mental health, provocation etc) should live, I struggle. Your complete lack of any reasons to oppose the death penalty suggest you do too. But as you mentioned earlier, you've surrendered to that argument. :thumbsup: I guess you are a bit cowardly like that.

Still prevaricating I see.

Remember my cliché? If you actually want answers, then that drink is on you.

As for my arguments on this topic, they've been laid out in detail on this forum on more than one previous occasion. If you wanted to, you could find them. But tbh, I doubt there is very much in them you haven't heard before.

So on this occasion I'm trying a different tack. A subtle, changeable wind requires a light hand on the wheel!

Liddle ol' me;4221638

The people who post these 'crime and punishment' threads are often the … The people who post these 'crime and punishment' threads are often the least able to deal with the debate that they bring out. ;-)

Often but not always eh?

Fair enough, maybe I will look for them some time. I trust they will be more constructive than labelling people imbeciles!

smidav;4232357

Fair enough, maybe I will look for them some time. I trust they will be … Fair enough, maybe I will look for them some time. I trust they will be more constructive than labelling people imbeciles!

Maybe not. But only one way to know for certain.

Btw, you gotta love some of the definitions Google throws up:

imbecility - retardation more severe than a moron but not as severe as an idiot :w00t:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?1830
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …3421245
      3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846329
      4. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…1530

See more discussions