"Do you want to add gratuity?"

Found 2nd Nov 2017
I was wondering if there are any big restaurant chain workers here than can confirm what actually happens to all the tips left after the meal.

And whether it's different for physical or digital via the card machine prompt.

Do you get full cut of it, or does it just go into a massive pot for all, or you get nothing?
Community Updates
Misc
46 Comments
I believe it entirely depends on the on the policies of where they work.

I gave up leaving mandatory tips in this country in the early 2000's. Tony Blair ensured everyone on less then about £30K was getting some form of benefit!

I don't mind dropping a couple of quid directly in to someone's hand who did a bit extra for me.

I did not want to get in to propping profit margins at resturaunt chains but paying people extra!
Edited by: "groenleader" 2nd Nov 2017
groenleader23 m ago

I believe it entirely depends on the on the policies of where they work. I …I believe it entirely depends on the on the policies of where they work. I gave up leaving mandatory tips in this country in the early 2000's. Tony Blair ensured everyone on less then about £30K was getting some form of benefit! I don't mind dropping a couple of quid directly in to someone's hand who did a bit extra for me. I did not want to get in to propping profit margins at resturaunt chains but paying people extra!

your motivation wasn't just about being a bit tight then?
ft.com/con…63b

FT MAY 2, 2016 by Kate Allen, Political Correspondent

Restaurants will have to hand over all tips to their staff under new proposals set out by the government.

The plans are designed to stop restaurants from using traditional gratuities to subsidise staff wages.

A government review began last year after it emerged that some restaurant chains were taking a share of tips rather than passing them on to staff. The government also wants restaurants to spell out that tips are to be given at a customer’s discretion and to publish in a prominent place what happens to tips.

The proposals will initially tighten up an existing voluntary code of conduct, but Sajid Javid, the business secretary, said that the government would legislate to force restaurants to comply if necessary.

“We want workers who earn a tip to be able to keep it,” Mr Javid said. Restaurants are facing rising costs after the minimum wage rose to £7.20 an hour for over-25 year olds on April 1.

Several of Britain’s best-known restaurant chains have come under fire in recent weeks for cutting staff perks in response

Zizzi became the latest to do so this week, reducing the range of free food that staff can choose from.

80% Of customers want tips to go directly to staff

It also said that waiters would now only keep half of credit card tips and service charges, with the remainder to be shared out among supervisors and kitchen staff. Previously the split was 70:30.
The chain’s decision highlights the discretion that restaurants currently have over how their takings from tips is spent.

The government has trumpeted the rise in the minimum wage with the slogan “Britain deserves a pay rise” but ministers are dismayed by the way some employers have responded.

87% Of customers leave tips

Last month George Osborne, chancellor, said it was “not the spirit of the law” and warned companies to be “much more careful about their reputations”. Mr Javid said he was “disappointed by the tipping practices of some of our well known chains”. Payments for service should be voluntary for consumers, received in full by workers where appropriate and transparent to the consumer who makes them, Mr Javid said.

A government consultation found that more than 80 per cent of customers wanted tips to go directly to staff, either directly to individuals or split via a kitty.

A recent survey by OpenTable found that 87 per cent of customers left tips and on average they tipped 9 per cent of the total bill. The government is also considering whether to ban or limit restaurants’ use of fees paid by staff on the sales they make, which are known as table sales charges.

The charges are sometimes deducted from the tip pool before it is distributed. The measures will be set out in a consultation to be published by the government on Monday, after a review of restaurants’ tipping practices.
groenleader28 m ago

I believe it entirely depends on the on the policies of where they work. I …I believe it entirely depends on the on the policies of where they work. I gave up leaving mandatory tips in this country in the early 2000's. Tony Blair ensured everyone on less then about £30K was getting some form of benefit! I don't mind dropping a couple of quid directly in to someone's hand who did a bit extra for me. I did not want to get in to propping profit margins at resturaunt chains but paying people extra!

I was on less than £30k in the early 2000's and got no benefit at all. Think you must be making things up as an excuse for being tight.
Except for a few rare occasions , service has been generally mediocre at best when we have eaten out lately and we still tip out of habit regardless. We tipped the server in malmaison in her hand then noticed a service charge in the bill also .. Doh
Went to Aruba on all inc basis in July and the Americans are tipping crazy . One guy got 2 Pepsi and bunged the barman $10.
groenleader2 h, 11 m ago

It does not depend on the policies, it depends on the decisions executives. Policies are dead objects and are incapable of decision making.

The consumer is a decison maker for tips. When a consumer does like decision makers decision and service, the consumer gives tips.

Why do you combine state benefits with service tips for good consumer services?!
Edited by: "splender" 2nd Nov 2017
CoeK1 h, 36 m ago

I was on less than £30k in the early 2000's and got no benefit at all. …I was on less than £30k in the early 2000's and got no benefit at all. Think you must be making things up as an excuse for being tight.

I assume he means the £20 a week child benefit for the first kid and £13 a week for the second which i believe has a cut off point of 26k
Segata-Sanshiro5 m ago

I assume he means the £20 a week child benefit for the first kid and £13 a …I assume he means the £20 a week child benefit for the first kid and £13 a week for the second which i believe has a cut off point of 26k

That must be where I went right then.
Segata-Sanshiro10 m ago

I assume he means the £20 a week child benefit for the first kid and £13 a …I assume he means the £20 a week child benefit for the first kid and £13 a week for the second which i believe has a cut off point of 26k

CoeK4 m ago

That must be where I went right then.

Tight may be the right word, at least as a minimum a thought process disorder of some sort when conflating welfare benefit which is justified on a universal social need/good with an independent event of tipping for good consumer service for a specific meal.
Edited by: "splender" 2nd Nov 2017
splender1 m ago

A disorder of some sort when conflating welfare benefit with an …A disorder of some sort when conflating welfare benefit with an independent event of tipping for good consumer service.

Give it 5 more comments until brexit is involved.
But this is an excellent thread. I do want to know what the big chains, at least, do with the tips. If I don't like what they do I avoid them. I dislike the fact that tips go towards making up the minimum wages.
Pizza express takes 8% as admin fee of all credit card tips and they are also taxed in usual way and then paid via salary.
Cash tips go straight to waiters.
Ruffuz6 m ago

Pizza express takes 8% as admin fee of all credit card tips and they are …Pizza express takes 8% as admin fee of all credit card tips and they are also taxed in usual way and then paid via salary.Cash tips go straight to waiters.

Tips are supposed to be taxed, if a company isn't doing that they are breaking the law.
splender18 m ago

But this is an excellent thread. I do want to know what the big chains, at …But this is an excellent thread. I do want to know what the big chains, at least, do with the tips. If I don't like what they do I avoid them. I dislike the fact that tips go towards making up the minimum wages.

That final point especially.

I worked minimum wage in Tesco when I was younger and have zero tips to bump up my salary. Still do not fully understand the USA wage issue either, when here in the UK we must get taxed a ton more anyway, which should balance it?
darkstryder3604 m ago

That final point especially.I worked minimum wage in Tesco when I was …That final point especially.I worked minimum wage in Tesco when I was younger and have zero tips to bump up my salary. Still do not fully understand the USA wage issue either, when here in the UK we must get taxed a ton more anyway, which should balance it?

In the USA customers subsidise low wages for service workers.
as someone has said, it depends on the restaurant. the idea is that whether the tip is cash or paid with the card, it should go into a big pot to be divided among all staff as the tip is supposed to be for everyone who works there and not just the waiter or waitress, like the chef or the barman for example.

the employer can also take a cut of it as far as i understand. some restaurants will add an automatic service charge and although you can refuse to pay this, most people will not bother to dispute the automatic addition of the service charge and when they do, staff arent always trained to understand that customers are within their right to refuse to pay the automatic service charge added.

i tend to think that tips given in cash will also be shared out without the tax man getting involved so it is best to leave tip in cash if you have cash around.

i notice that our esso station asks for tips when we buy fuel, which i find surprising, what service have they provided that merits a tip
CoeK22 m ago

Tips are supposed to be taxed, if a company isn't doing that they are …Tips are supposed to be taxed, if a company isn't doing that they are breaking the law.

gov.uk/tip…tax
Ruffuz3 m ago

https://www.gov.uk/tips-at-work/tips-and-tax

Isn't that what I just said?
mutley111 m ago

as someone has said, it depends on the restaurant. the idea is that …as someone has said, it depends on the restaurant. the idea is that whether the tip is cash or paid with the card, it should go into a big pot to be divided among all staff as the tip is supposed to be for everyone who works there and not just the waiter or waitress, like the chef or the barman for example.the employer can also take a cut of it as far as i understand. some restaurants will add an automatic service charge and although you can refuse to pay this, most people will not bother to dispute the automatic addition of the service charge and when they do, staff arent always trained to understand that customers are within their right to refuse to pay the automatic service charge added.i tend to think that tips given in cash will also be shared out without the tax man getting involved so it is best to leave tip in cash if you have cash around.i notice that our esso station asks for tips when we buy fuel, which i find surprising, what service have they provided that merits a tip

Cash tips will also be taxed.
CoeK22 m ago

Isn't that what I just said?

Company is responsible to tax credit card tipa only.
It would be almost impossible to monitor cash tips.
mutley140 m ago

as someone has said, it depends on the restaurant. the idea is that …as someone has said, it depends on the restaurant. the idea is that whether the tip is cash or paid with the card, it should go into a big pot to be divided among all staff as the tip is supposed to be for everyone who works there and not just the waiter or waitress, like the chef or the barman for example.the employer can also take a cut of it as far as i understand. some restaurants will add an automatic service charge and although you can refuse to pay this, most people will not bother to dispute the automatic addition of the service charge and when they do, staff arent always trained to understand that customers are within their right to refuse to pay the automatic service charge added.i tend to think that tips given in cash will also be shared out without the tax man getting involved so it is best to leave tip in cash if you have cash around.i notice that our esso station asks for tips when we buy fuel, which i find surprising, what service have they provided that merits a tip

Tips for Esso station staff, that is so ridiculous!
Ruffuz22 m ago

Company is responsible to tax credit card tipa only.It would be almost …Company is responsible to tax credit card tipa only.It would be almost impossible to monitor cash tips.

If their staff take cash tips and don't share them out they are supposed to let HMRC know and then HMRC will tax based on the info given.
davewave21 m ago

Tips for Esso station staff, that is so ridiculous!

Given the source of the information, I think you should wait for confirmation from someone else.
When I used to go out to restaurants with the late wife we used to ask the waiting staff who gets the tips and decide from there.

I do remember when we were in Cancun, Mexico being chased down the road by the waiter asking "Didn't you like my service" etc. We'd spent almost a £100 on a good nosh and the change left was a good £7 equivalent. Not a bad tip to most UK and far off shores you'd think. We didn't know at the time and didn't agree that the minimum had to be 10% (some USA policy/standard) - fact is we weren't in the bloody USA
Edited by: "philphil61" 2nd Nov 2017
deeky42 m ago

Given the source of the information, I think you should wait for …Given the source of the information, I think you should wait for confirmation from someone else.

Just found the thread.

hotukdeals.com/dis…213
CoeK2 h, 57 m ago

Give it 5 more comments until brexit is involved.

There has got to be some sort of Godwins Law that can be attributed to Brexit (and Trump) in discussions.

EDIT: this new interface doesn't seem to allow quick error corrections just before you hit the submit button. Some kind of delay.
Edited by: "Uranus" 2nd Nov 2017
Tipping only benefits restaurant owners and encourages minimum pay.
Taxis and hair dressers are a different conversation altogether.
darkstryder3602 h, 21 m ago

That final point especially.I worked minimum wage in Tesco when I was …That final point especially.I worked minimum wage in Tesco when I was younger and have zero tips to bump up my salary. Still do not fully understand the USA wage issue either, when here in the UK we must get taxed a ton more anyway, which should balance it?

The minimum wage for bar staff/waitresses in the US is $2.13 ph , some places pay more, tips are taxed and some places even count tips against your wage (say you get tipped 10 in an hour + 3.50 wage, they will take your wage out of the 10, so you will just get 10 minus tax) tips are quite literally how they get payed.
Yes the Workers should get the tips when left, the restaurant itself would benefit from repeat custom so should not expect any additional contribution.

I tip when a waiter/waitress or the chef has gone "above and beyond" what a standard waiter/waitress or chef would do.
If they provide a mediocre, bog standard service then they cannot expect a tip. (like if we are kept waiting for a great length of time or if the food is sub-standard or cold)

A Fast and polite service, large portions with hot & tasty food can allways expect a tip

At the end of the day, they are just doing a job they are paid to do (I don't recieve tips in my line of work) so i don't automatically leave tips unless i have recieved very good service.

I remember once on a trip to the USA, we went to an italian restaurant and the food was sub-standard at best. USA typically adds a default service charge to the bill, on this occasion we were near the end of the trip and using up loose change anyway - so I left money to the exact amount including the tip.
The waiter replied "oh, we don't accept change" - "fine" i said, and took all the change (and the tip) away. He diddn't look overly pleased but i diddnt care as it was our last night there anyway!
Destard24 m ago

Tipping only benefits restaurant owners and encourages minimum pay.Taxis …Tipping only benefits restaurant owners and encourages minimum pay.Taxis and hair dressers are a different conversation altogether.

You'll find waiting staff get payed f-all tips or no tips, it's a minimum wage job, even high end places don't pay much more.
Destard1 h, 22 m ago

There has got to be some sort of Godwins Law that can be attributed to …There has got to be some sort of Godwins Law that can be attributed to Brexit (and Trump) in discussions.EDIT: this new interface doesn't seem to allow quick error corrections just before you hit the submit button. Some kind of delay.

perhaps the law could be named after Destard-Coek?
davewave1 h, 54 m ago

perhaps the law could be named after Destard-Coek?

Always wanted a law named after me, thanks Dave.
darkstryder3603 h, 44 m ago

Just found the …Just found the thread.https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/esso-asking-for-tips-2706213

Ok, thanks fanpag... Oh, I mean darkstryder
As you were davewave, seems it's legit
No worker has yet replied on this thread with what happens to tips for any company.
So, here is some old news,

(2015 news) In 2009 new rules were brought in to stop restaurants paying staff a basic wage below the minimum wage and using tips to raise their pay above the level. A spokesperson for Cote said: “At Cote the optional service charge is used to increase the pay of all restaurant level staff above what would typically be seen as market standard. Whereas the base salary for a waitress in the industry would typically be minimum wage, currently £6.50 per hour, we are able to pay more like £7.50-8.00 per hour through using the service charge.

(2016 news) Zizzi SLASH waiters' tips and perks in aftermath of new minimum wage

My analysis of the whole system with the way these tips are used (or abused) is that I avoid these large chains or corporates which are household names. I stopped using Cafe Rouge , for example, some 6 years' ago. My opinion is that the evidence, such as the two links above, is illustrative of the economy showing up these businesses as unsustainable businesses made sustainable at the expense of disruptions of labour resources globally with a reliance on workers needing access to other income sources or welfare subsidies. While I accept that this a useful part of our economy, the rapid growth of this service sector is cancerous to the overall economic well-being of the people.

I prefer to choose single unit restaurants where there is no service added automatically, usually shown by a printed text or a rubber stamp marking "Service is not included", then I put on about 10% extra as "pocketable" cash. (I never put tips on credit card as this is unpocketable without some naughty fingers taking a grope as I suspect if hidden costs are paid using this pooling of tips such as credit card charges, accountant fees, administration fees to split out the tips from the overall bill..etc.)
I'm tight yes, I have worked in restaruants a few years ago, and really did not care if peeople left a tip, if they did i was like result ill slip that in my pocket (we was told to put in till and it was split, 3 months i got like 30£ although probs put 400£ in the till and was only 4 staff on most of the time)

I don't feel working in a restaruant is any harder then a shop worker, they both get paid the same, so why leave a tip?

if they go above and beyond? very rarely does this happen as what can they possibly do?
big groups yes i agree as it was a pain to deal with

I knew half the people eating there who are supplying the business money to pay my wages was not rich and can't lash out tips, i was greatful they just came in to provide me hours
deeky2 h, 7 m ago

Ok, thanks fanpag... Oh, I mean darkstryder As you were davewave, …Ok, thanks fanpag... Oh, I mean darkstryder As you were davewave, seems it's legit

Sorry, I was still trying to decipher all of what splender has typed above.

The text reminds me of one of those puzzles were you have a collection of words, & the same quantity of gaps in various sentences, & you are expected to insert an appropriate word into a gap for the paragraph to make sense.
We typically remove the gratuity from the credit card machine and give or own tip...in cash, to the ones who provide the service. A standard tip is around 10%, more for a better service sometimes zero for bad service. As far as I'm concerned my contract with the restaurant is, they provide the food for an advertised price and to a minimum standard. If they improve on that I acknowledged that with a tip.
I always tip in cash, so they aren't taxed by HMRC or the company taking a wedge either.
i worked as a waiter for 20 years. Loved it, the tips made our terrible wages up ( no minimum wage then ) and i could make a fortune.I bought 2 houses, several cars over the years and lot's of holidays. the work was hard though and the hours were long, and putting up with moaners like the usual ones on HUKD MISC was a pain. we kept all our tips and the management never took anything. it's all changed now with all these big chain restaurants which i never go to, Stick with local run restaurants, which are far better and not the same old food as all the rest
groenleader15 h, 30 m ago

Wait what. I started working full time in 2002 when I was 16 and only getting about £4.50 per hour at the time. I got nothing in form of benefits.

In 2004 I got my first job as a waitress and again earning about 10k per year and no benefits. I relied on tips to be able to survive properly, i wouldn't have been able to cope from my wage alone back then.

btw I left home at the age of 15. I wasn't living with my parents being supported and just earning pocket money and worked alongside various other young people who were making their own way in the eorld
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants