Groups

Do your Children use the Roblox gaming app? Check their messages / activity

SuperEd
    My children downloaded this a few months ago, it's extremely popular with kids their age and very similar to a Lego / Minecraft type platformer.

http://mspoweruser.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/roblox.jpg

I was amazed at the instant messages asking for friend requests from various people and could type what they wanted without any restrictions, i refused to let them have it and deleted it, now this has come to light dailymail.co.uk/new…tml and it doesn't like they're the only one.

Girl, six, was sent a message on mobile gaming app Roblox asking her to call a stranger 'daddy'

You can read the full story on the above link but just a heads up to check the app and whats being said or do what i did and just bin it.

Some filters are in place but obviously still lots of issues with child safety

Hope it helps some of you anyway!

Also Turning safe chat mode on Thanks to antony4462

Update 14th Feb, messages still being sent
    mirror.co.uk/new…213

32 Comments

Thanks for this! Personally I think parents shouldn't just skip over this. It's important!

Original Poster SuperEd

robyn_mcarthur

Thanks for this! Personally I think parents shouldn't just skip over … Thanks for this! Personally I think parents shouldn't just skip over this. It's important!

No problem at all, i was concerned before hence why i removed it from their tablets after about 20 mins and couldn't see a way of blocking messages and comments whilst playing the game.

Well worth checking for peace of mind!

You can't type whatever you want without restrictions. There are banned words and phrases.

Original Poster SuperEd

treeofthefiddy

You can't type whatever you want without restrictions. There are banned … You can't type whatever you want without restrictions. There are banned words and phrases.

when it was used a few months ago, people where getting around the filter and obviously there is still a lot of issues regarding messages - i'd rather people check and be safe, many may not know, it's just a heads up

It's Rated 13+ for a reason. Young children shouldn't be left to play this unsupervised!

hazelthompson1988

It's Rated 13+ for a reason. Young children shouldn't be left to play … It's Rated 13+ for a reason. Young children shouldn't be left to play this unsupervised!

I agree these days people must look at the age restrictions on games they are there for a reason...well said.

my son has been playing games for some time now on his Ipad and Xbox One.......I never knew this was possible so I will be having a closer look when I get home on his account and will be asking some questions to make sure this hasn't happened to him......thanks for the heads up about this, u have to be soooooo careful these days

Thanks for the heads up OP though. My kids haven't got this but will make sure they don't get it for sure.

hazelthompson1988

It's Rated 13+ for a reason. Young children shouldn't be left to play … It's Rated 13+ for a reason. Young children shouldn't be left to play this unsupervised!

Exactly this! It's an online game. Definitely shouldn't be unsupervised whilst playing an online game with built in messenger

My daughter plays this with my nieces, they all meet in the game and play but she had reveived messages, nothing serious but wasnt happy that anyone could contact her. Has been deleted from everything and shes been warned about downloading again. Hate technology sometimes.

My 8 year old plays this and he knows all about stranger danger and online safety. We talk about it a lot to him. Someone called him fat and ugly the one on roblox and he reported them to Admin before telling us so he is being sensible. Admin will suspend play for a person if they feel they are not playing to the rules or even block if it were serious enough.

My youngest used to play this last year and I noticed a few dubious remarks from a friend - I removed all her 389 friends! Warned her not to accept requests. I now monitor her game play very closely.

My 8 year old son had this game but didnt make an account i wouldnt allow him can he still receive messages or just kids with accounts? Ill defiantly be having a closer look at it. Hes mainly on xbox these days than tablet but offline xbox..

Turning safe chat mode on

Best way is to educate your children and monitor what they are doing. Show interest in what they are doing, learn how the game works so you understand how the game works and identify any dangers.

Original Poster SuperEd

antony4462

Turning safe chat mode onBest way is to educate your children and monitor … Turning safe chat mode onBest way is to educate your children and monitor what they are doing. Show interest in what they are doing, learn how the game works so you understand how the game works and identify any dangers.

I'll add that into OP also, thanks

Cheers gooner, had never heard of it, but just asked my son and he says he plays it. Asked if he had ever received any weird messages, and he actually said yes... thankfully, he also said he just ignores anyone he doesn't know and just deletes them. I'll definitely be enabling the safe chat mode later though.

Original Poster SuperEd

miikeyblue

Cheers gooner, had never heard of it, but just asked my son and he says … Cheers gooner, had never heard of it, but just asked my son and he says he plays it. Asked if he had ever received any weird messages, and he actually said yes... thankfully, he also said he just ignores anyone he doesn't know and just deletes them. I'll definitely be enabling the safe chat mode later though.

No problem at all! Rather members / people double check and looks like it's been worthwhile posting

Justjo69

My 8 year old plays this and he knows all about stranger danger and … My 8 year old plays this and he knows all about stranger danger and online safety. We talk about it a lot to him. Someone called him fat and ugly the one on roblox and he reported them to Admin before telling us so he is being sensible. Admin will suspend play for a person if they feel they are not playing to the rules or even block if it were serious enough.

My son is the same. He reports everything lol and I get the whole story about it all.

My kids go to a really good school which educates parents on these things. One of the first websites they mentioned to us was roblox and club penguin. very popular with little ones but also too many adults luring kids. Thank you op always good to keep an eye on your kids as you think they're safe in the home but technology has advanced so much that even then they're not safe.

omg good call

My kid had this for awhile, guest account, its a strange game I don't understand it, it looks like it for kids but its full of oddballs and is a freeware sort of thing that people make money from, all very odd. My kid ha not played it in several months i told him not to write messages, its not on his account anymore.

Commen sense story's like this grind my gears seriously the parents should have the safety features added or check up in what there kids r doing my boy loves roblox and am a vigilante parent that checks and keeps an eye on him

I cannot believe this!! Thanks for bringing this awful thing to my attention. As if this is still happening in 2017. Please, as a message to all parents, check your kids' apps to make sure they aren't playing cheap rip offs, seriously spend the extra few quid and get minecraft

Skankhunt43

I cannot believe this!! Thanks for bringing this awful thing to my … I cannot believe this!! Thanks for bringing this awful thing to my attention. As if this is still happening in 2017. Please, as a message to all parents, check your kids' apps to make sure they aren't playing cheap rip offs, seriously spend the extra few quid and get minecraft

It's nothing like Minecraft its just odd

hazelthompson1988

Even if it is rated 13+ these types of messages are unacceptable. Realistically, you can expect a parent/guardian watching what their kids play 24/7.

There are some really good learning resources here re. online safety for kids produced by CEOP/National Crime Agency:

https://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/

Well worth going through it with them before allowing access to online gaming etc.

IMO in this day and age it's almost impossible to keep them away from the online world and associated dangers, so super important that they're educated about how to engage appropriately.

Edited by: "ammssuma" 28th Jan

I deleted this app after seeing one of the worlds someone had made was called 'sex' and had nude roblox people having sex, couldn't believe it.

goonertillidie

No problem at all! Rather members / people double check and looks like … No problem at all! Rather members / people double check and looks like it's been worthwhile posting

I'm generally pretty clued up on this stuff too! Just glad he's got sense though, he's been told enough times.

just asked my daughter if she ever got any weird messages as shes currently playing it as i type. she says you can only recieve messages from people you add as friends. she says only friends she has is her brother and cousins. is she b/s me about only get messages from added friends as ive never played it only seen she does.

good post - really this goes for any online game not just one that's managed to end up in the headlines. Better to double check than miss something. Little and often talks about stranger danger seems to be the way to go both about online and offline

diamondrfc

just asked my daughter if she ever got any weird messages as shes … just asked my daughter if she ever got any weird messages as shes currently playing it as i type. she says you can only recieve messages from people you add as friends. she says only friends she has is her brother and cousins. is she b/s me about only get messages from added friends as ive never played it only seen she does.

My younger siblings and cousins play this and after overlooking what they are doing I've come to the conclusion that you can kinda only recieve messages from people you add. However, most lobby's have their own chat and everyone in the lobby can write messages.
    I've made sure my cousins and younger siblings who play with each other have the chat with themselves and not any random person or the lobby chat.
    It's always worth explaining the kids why you are worried, I'm sure if she knows how to play the game she would understand!

Hey, parents, THANK YOU FOR RUINING ROBLOX. Now, ever since you let your kids on the site, and when one bad thing happen and report it all over the news, ROBLOX IS RUINED. I can't have a decent conversation without it being filtered. Thanks guys, you are the reason why roblox sucks today. Because of you guys posting every single detail all of the internet changing the way how roblox functions. You ruined it. Thanks.

Dude you have to be kidding me, roblox is not even fun anymore. thx thx thx
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …277960
      2. word association Game72944191
      3. Best advert ever to be seen.1820
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764565

See more discussions