Do your young children know how to contact emergency services?

Posted 27th Oct
I was having a conversation with someone about this and my little girl is 6 years old but doesn’t know how to contact emergency services. We tell her but then she forgets after a few months. Everyone used to have a house phone and it was simple to pick up the phone and call 999.
I made a scenario that I have collapsed and the neighbours aren’t in, only my mobile phone is to hand which has a passcode, on the iPhone you first have to press the power button, then the home button to bring up this screen
3317078-alchj.jpg
Then press the emergency button in the bottom left then dial 999 and press the call button. You can also set the power button to call after quickly pressing it 5 times but this makes a very loud bleeping noise, not good if you were trying to call the emergency services discreetly. So most kids know which number to call but do they know how to actually do it? Test your children, it could save a life.
Community Updates
Misc
6 Comments
My 7 and 11 year old know. My 3 year old doesn't
Edited by: "nadhaw" 27th Oct
You can also press the homelockbutton 5 times and it brings up the medical id and emergency s.o.s
Edited by: "DanSpaghetti" 27th Oct
DanSpaghetti27/10/2019 10:07

You can also press the home button 5 times and it brings up the medical id …You can also press the home button 5 times and it brings up the medical id and emergency s.o.s

I’ve managed to return someone’s phone using this method as it brings up emergency contact numbers of family members even if the phone is locked.
On the iPhone you can make certain contacts “favourites” and then you add this list to the swipe right screen. My 3 year old and 6 year old know how to access this so perfect for calling family members in emergencies especially as my phone has a passcode.
I don’t have kids but I have young siblings. Their school taught them the number (999) in some sort of song to help them remember. For sure, it’s vital even for young kids to know the number even if it will get abused on occasion.
I’m learning
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants