Expired

Docking pay illegally?

Found 15th Mar
Hey everyone. I've found out that my boss was going to dock me 15 minutes pay (on minimum wage by the way) because I clocked on ON TIME!
I always stay a few minutes to ten minutes later then I should and don't get paid for it too so it's really annoyed me. Someone persuaded her not to dock me so I have been paid.

i just wondered if anybody KNOWS if this is illegal? I would have thought it was illegal and I'd be getting paid less then minimum wage if they did dock me 15minutes. Please point in the correct direction to find this info out for myself as I've checked acas and can't see anything about this specifically.

also another question for a friend. Is there a different wage for working nights 7.30pm till 5.30am?
Thankyou everyone
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Original Poster
TheRatedSeller46 m ago

It’s £2.. just be grateful that you have a job in the first place.

it's £2 be greatful I've got a job in the first place! Nice attitude. Suppose I could say that to them too couldn't I seeing as they are a multi million pound business and I'm just a 1 person working to survive f they do that every week to me or someelse it's not just £2 in their pocket is it. What a stupid response
Edited by: "LeahsMintytoutou" 15th Mar
cmdr_elito5 h, 1 m ago

No you weren’t because if you were at the clocking in machine at your s …No you weren’t because if you were at the clocking in machine at your start time you were not on the shop floor. If the shops policy is to dock 15 mins it’s very valid. Alternatively they could always give you a written warning.

It might be legal but it's a disgrace... Paying minimum wage and trying to get back 15 minutes of pay from a poor employee who has turned up on time!

This is micromanaging and not a good way to promote a healthy work environment.

Then you have people who do nothing all day in nice offices getting paid even if they drink coffee every 5 minutes and spend the time posting online

And not surprisingly the times were the employee stays past their finishing time aren't paid...
Edited by: "hearts22" 16th Mar
59 Comments
On what grounds was she planning to dock you if you were on time?
Is this a well known company??
are you ment to be in 15 mins to get ready to start your role
It really depends on your terms of employment (should be in your contract) . If they say you must be ready to work at your starting time and it takes you 10 mins to change into uniform /protective clothing they may have a point . Difficult to say without knowing the circumstances . I suggest you clarify that with your boss to avoid any future misunderstandings.
Original Poster
sasultrasonic4 m ago

Is this a well known company??

Yep. I enjoy the job but the boss is ridiculous most of the time it's making me so miserable with these stupid things. I'm looking for another job.
You wouldn’t be earning less than minimum wage as technically you would be working 45 mins due to being late
Original Poster
psychobitchfromhell6 m ago

On what grounds was she planning to dock you if you were on time?

I have no idea
Original Poster
markvirgo4 m ago

are you ment to be in 15 mins to get ready to start your role

rogparki3 m ago

It really depends on your terms of employment (should be in your contract) …It really depends on your terms of employment (should be in your contract) . If they say you must be ready to work at your starting time and it takes you 10 mins to change into uniform /protective clothing they may have a point . Difficult to say without knowing the circumstances . I suggest you clarify that with your boss to avoid any future misunderstandings.

I'm ready when I walk in. There is no getting ready. I'm a sales assistant in a store. When I clock on I'm serving people immediately
Original Poster
cmdr_elito3 m ago

You wouldn’t be earning less than minimum wage as technically you would be …You wouldn’t be earning less than minimum wage as technically you would be working 45 mins due to being late

I clicked on on time and Started working immediately so yes I would be earning less then minimum wage as I was working the whole time
mod
If you clocked in on time, your pay can't be docked - unless there is some specific sneaky clause in your employment contract!

I'd give HR a quick visit and run it by them
As someone already said, you should ask your manager for the reason that she deducted your pay (or was going to). I always turn up late at the office but then I always stay late so it never become an issue.

Sounds like you have a horrid boss. It is always horrible when this happens. I have had some really mean prats for boss, but fortunately I have also had some really nice boss. Life is so much better when you have a good boss that you can get on with.

Here is the policy on night shifts and minimum wage

gov.uk/nig…urs
LeahsMintytoutou3 m ago

I clicked on on time and Started working immediately so yes I would be …I clicked on on time and Started working immediately so yes I would be earning less then minimum wage as I was working the whole time

No you weren’t because if you were at the clocking in machine at your start time you were not on the shop floor. If the shops policy is to dock 15 mins it’s very valid. Alternatively they could always give you a written warning.
Original Poster
cmdr_elito5 m ago

No you weren’t because if you were at the clocking in machine at your s …No you weren’t because if you were at the clocking in machine at your start time you were not on the shop floor. If the shops policy is to dock 15 mins it’s very valid. Alternatively they could always give you a written warning.

Yes I was. I clock onat the till, on the shop floor and immediately serve customers. Clocking in is just swiping my card at the till. That's it.

Say if the time I was supposed to start was 3pm. I clocked on at 3pm and I had served my first customer and it still dead on 3pm. Not 1 minute past or anything.
LeahsMintytoutou1 m ago

Yes I was. I clock onat the till, on the shop floor and immediately serve …Yes I was. I clock onat the till, on the shop floor and immediately serve customers. Clocking in is just swiping my card at the till. That's it. Say if the time I was supposed to start was 3pm. I clocked on at 3pm and I had served my first customer and it still dead on 3pm. Not 1 minute past or anything.

Well my advice would be to get there a few minutes earlier next time.
They can pay normal wage for nights don’t have to pay extra
Original Poster
HutchAW12 m ago

If you clocked in on time, your pay can't be docked - unless there is some …If you clocked in on time, your pay can't be docked - unless there is some specific sneaky clause in your employment contract!I'd give HR a quick visit and run it by them

Thankyou. The manager hates it if anybody rings hr to ask a question and she actually tells us off as if we did something wrong. Think I'm going to have to ask he and not tell them which store I work at. Thanks
Original Poster
cmdr_elito5 m ago

Well my advice would be to get there a few minutes earlier next time.

Hmm I wasn't really looking for advice on my arrival time. I just wanted to know if any KNOWS is it illegal to dock my pay when I started on time. Thanks for help anyway
Original Poster
2tigger24 m ago

They can pay normal wage for nights don’t have to pay extra

Thanks I've literally just found the page on direct gov about this. Thanks a lot
Original Poster
mutley117 m ago

As someone already said, you should ask your manager for the reason that …As someone already said, you should ask your manager for the reason that she deducted your pay (or was going to). I always turn up late at the office but then I always stay late so it never become an issue.Sounds like you have a horrid boss. It is always horrible when this happens. I have had some really mean prats for boss, but fortunately I have also had some really nice boss. Life is so much better when you have a good boss that you can get on with.Here is the policy on night shifts and minimum wagehttps://www.gov.uk/night-working-hours

Yeah manager is good sometimes nnthen something will pee her off, could be a customer or A late delivery and she will take it out on us and chow at us for silly things out of nowhere. Really am sick of it. Neeeed to get out of there for my sanity.
I certainly wouldn't be staying the 10+ minutes after work anymore if that's the Managers attitude
I used to work in retail, they demanded that you arrived 10 minutes before your shift (like you there was no getting ready time). They would actually discipline the staff for only being 8 minutes early. I raised it with her when I left because we were paid minimum wage but not for the 10 extra minutes each shift that they required us to be there. if they want you an extra 10 mins then they have to pay it. And they can’t just take away hours for the sake of it
Your manager sounds horrible.
LeahsMintytoutou1 h, 10 m ago

Yep. I enjoy the job but the boss is ridiculous most of the time it's …Yep. I enjoy the job but the boss is ridiculous most of the time it's making me so miserable with these stupid things. I'm looking for another job.

When i was young and had a low paid job one of my bosses was a right git, so....

Every morning I would offer to make the tea for everyone. When it came to his mug i would blow my nose into his teabag first before pouring thhe water in. So believe me you will feel so much better at work tomorrow if you make your boss a nice brew.
Can you get a print out of your hours to see if they are OK
Original Poster
TheRatedSeller46 m ago

It’s £2.. just be grateful that you have a job in the first place.

it's £2 be greatful I've got a job in the first place! Nice attitude. Suppose I could say that to them too couldn't I seeing as they are a multi million pound business and I'm just a 1 person working to survive f they do that every week to me or someelse it's not just £2 in their pocket is it. What a stupid response
Edited by: "LeahsMintytoutou" 15th Mar
Original Poster
markvirgo25 m ago

Can you get a print out of your hours to see if they are OK

I'm not sure about that. I think I'll have to ask boss for it. I will check against my pay slip next week
LeahsMintytoutou32 m ago

I'm not sure about that. I think I'll have to ask boss for it. I will …I'm not sure about that. I think I'll have to ask boss for it. I will check against my pay slip next week

Note your hours in a diary for a while and just check your payslip against it.
LeahsMintytoutou52 m ago

I'm not sure about that. I think I'll have to ask boss for it. I will …I'm not sure about that. I think I'll have to ask boss for it. I will check against my pay slip next week

Good luck
There's some great, and also some awful advice in this thread. OP and cmdr_elito, please read this piece: worksmart.org.uk/wor…-us
Original Poster
dxx4 m ago

There's some great, and also some awful advice in this thread. OP and …There's some great, and also some awful advice in this thread. OP and cmdr_elito, please read this piece: https://worksmart.org.uk/work-rights/pay-and-contracts/pay/our-employer-asks-us-turn-15-minutes-work-starts-doesnt-pay-us

Wow Thankyou, that's pretty straight to the point and simple. ive read the page you linked too I'll have a further read through some other pages onnthere too tomorrow.. Thank you(y)
Original Poster
Splice7 m ago

Good luck

Thanks splice. I think they won't dock me for it but threatening to do so behind my back when I wasn't even late is bad enough.I'm making sure I check
LeahsMintytoutou21 m ago

Thanks splice. I think they won't dock me for it but threatening to do so …Thanks splice. I think they won't dock me for it but threatening to do so behind my back when I wasn't even late is bad enough.I'm making sure I check

Yeah check your contract anything your unhappy about speak to hr/manager or head office / citizen advice
Splice10 m ago

Yeah check your contract anything your unhappy about speak to hr/manager …Yeah check your contract anything your unhappy about speak to hr/manager or head office / citizen advice

or union. They can be an asset.
LeahsMintytoutou42 m ago

Thanks splice. I think they won't dock me for it but threatening to do so …Thanks splice. I think they won't dock me for it but threatening to do so behind my back when I wasn't even late is bad enough.I'm making sure I check

And no problem
cmdr_elito5 h, 1 m ago

It might be legal but it's a disgrace... Paying minimum wage and trying to get back 15 minutes of pay from a poor employee who has turned up on time!

This is micromanaging and not a good way to promote a healthy work environment.

Then you have people who do nothing all day in nice offices getting paid even if they drink coffee every 5 minutes and spend the time posting online

And not surprisingly the times were the employee stays past their finishing time aren't paid...
Edited by: "hearts22" 16th Mar
Mine tried this back when I was in that line of work. I'd sit in the staff room till the unpaid 15 mins were up and I'd leave the second my shift ended and not stay a second longer. They soon stopped doing it.
Clock in 1 minute early. Clock out ON TIME.. If she questions it, tell her "as she has a problem with you starting on time, by reverse, she must have a problem with you finishing late."

This type of boss is the reason why you end up with staff "working to rule" and doing exactly what their contract suggests.

Poor man management skills is the blight of industry. Give and take creates a far better service and more potential for the business.
"I've found out that my boss was going to dock me 15 minutes pay (on minimum wage by the way) because I clocked on ON TIME!"

Find out the real reason

hearts225 h, 41 m ago

It might be legal but it's a disgrace... Paying minimum wage and trying to …It might be legal but it's a disgrace... Paying minimum wage and trying to get back 15 minutes of pay from a poor employee who has turned up on time! This is micromanaging and not a good way to promote a healthy work environment. Then you have people who do nothing all day in nice offices getting paid even if they drink coffee every 5 minutes and spend the time posting online And not surprisingly the times were the employee stays past their finishing time aren't paid...

Yep life isn’t fair. I’m one of those office workers and yes I do get the occasional coffee but also work many hours unpaid evenings and weekends to get my work done.

I’ve also done minimum wage level work before and know that the rules are normally strict because otherwise those young people who tend to work these jobs will end up being slack and turning up late leaving customers waiting to get into the store outside past opening hours.

Remember you are there for a reason to get the job done, if you don’t they will simply get rid of you and give the job to someone that will turn up a few mins early everyday and work a few mins extra at the end. There are too many people that want jobs even at minimum wage meaning it’s an employers market rather than an an employees market at the moment, it’s been that way since 2007!
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 16th Mar
fern377 h, 18 m ago

or union. They can be an asset.

Unions are a waste of time. Private sector employer will find a way to get rid of you and as long as they follow their stated procedures the union are powerless to do anything. This person is on minimum wage and worried about losing 15 mins pay and therefore probably won’t want to pay for union costs that won’t really provide any support.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants