Dodgy eBay listings

Posted 5th Jul
I'm on the lookout for a new iPad and have been checking the usual places, including eBay. Today this popped in my frequently searched list - ebay.co.uk/itm…4Hs

The seller has a few similar 'boxes' listed. The description, and title all make it clear they are buying just the box but it doesn't seem right to me. I think that someone has bid in a hurry after skim reading the info, and think they have grabbed a bargain. They'll be very dissapointed when the parcel arrives.

Has anyone else spotted anything similar, and what's the best way to report them?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Description clearly says “empty box”, if someone was willing to bid around £200 surely they would have read the description first
Why would you report them? Both in the title of the ad and the description it clearly states - empty box.
If someone buys that thinking they’re getting an IPad in it they clearly just have not read the ad.
Edited by: "Kratos69" 5th Jul
spoo06/07/2020 03:12

Auction title includes the text "Wi-Fi 256GB Space Grey" - all of that …Auction title includes the text "Wi-Fi 256GB Space Grey" - all of that information is completely irrelevant if you're just selling an empty box, why mention it unless you're attempting deceit? Also they have conveniently chosen as the first image a picture of the box taken at just the right angle so it could be mistaken for a picture of an actual ipad. True, it wouldn't fool most people but all it takes is one.So you think if someone is gullible that makes them fair game for fradusters? Nice.

Of course that information is relevant. The person looking to buy an empty box is likely selling the exact iPad mentioned and misplaced their box and knows an item is easier to sell when it is boxed. The box therefore needs to align with the iPad. And buying a box for a couple of quid can increase the value of their item by a good amount.

Note the seller has 100% positive feedback. The item also did sell for £200 previously and clearly this sale was cancelled before ever sending the item so I think it is unfair to make out this seller is dodgy and would send an empty box for that kind of money.

I never said it makes them fair game, but they have a responsibility to themselves to actually read the title and description. I do not see anything fraudulent in the listing description.

Again, how do you suggest they list an empty box in which any seller is perfectly entitled to sell? I do not see what more they can do so IMO if the auction ends and the buyer thinks they bought an iPad, the only explanation is they did not read the description before bidding which is of course solely their mistake. The seller cannot make them use their eyes and read the information they have provided.
Edited by: "RYANdeals" 6th Jul
The relisted item says 'Empty Box' in the title and description and bidding is at £1. If anyone thinks they are getting an iPad for that price, then the blame is on them.

How else would you suggest the seller list their empty box they are trying to sell?
Edited by: "RYANdeals" 5th Jul
23 Comments
Why would you report them? Both in the title of the ad and the description it clearly states - empty box.
If someone buys that thinking they’re getting an IPad in it they clearly just have not read the ad.
Edited by: "Kratos69" 5th Jul
Kratos6905/07/2020 22:41

Why would you report them? Both in the title of the ad and the description …Why would you report them? Both in the title of the ad and the description it clearly states - empty box.If someone buys that thinking they’re getting an IPad in it they clearly just have not read the ad.

I agree with the OP. This is clearly going to leave a buyer disappointed and they’ve priced it at a price point a buyer will think it’s more than a cardboard box.

It’s clearly going to cause distress.

I’d report the listings if I saw them

EDIT: just seen it was an auction & looks like shill bidding too. The seller was clear but it’s also obviously been misunderstood and will lead to disappointment, hassle & expense.
Edited by: "sicklysweet" 5th Jul
Description clearly says “empty box”, if someone was willing to bid around £200 surely they would have read the description first
The relisted item says 'Empty Box' in the title and description and bidding is at £1. If anyone thinks they are getting an iPad for that price, then the blame is on them.

How else would you suggest the seller list their empty box they are trying to sell?
Edited by: "RYANdeals" 5th Jul
Very caring of you
sicklysweet05/07/2020 22:53

I agree with the OP. This is clearly going to leave a buyer disappointed …I agree with the OP. This is clearly going to leave a buyer disappointed and they’ve priced it at a price point a buyer will think it’s more than a cardboard box.It’s clearly going to cause distress.I’d report the listings if I saw themEDIT: just seen it was an auction & looks like shill bidding too. The seller was clear but it’s also obviously been misunderstood and will lead to disappointment, hassle & expense.

How do you tell its shill bidding ?
I thought eBay banned the selling of selling empty product boxes.
To me it seems wrong, like seeing someone drop their wallet, picking it up and returning it but taking out the cash.

Maybe I’m seeing it differently, but it’s certainly something I’d not do, and would be absolutely gutted if it happened to me.
18 people bid on that item, I really hope the winning idiot paid the £200, because they are definitely not getting it back
I know this may sound daft but have you looked at liquidation or police auction?
RYANdeals05/07/2020 22:58

How else would you suggest the seller list their empty box they are trying …How else would you suggest the seller list their empty box they are trying to sell?

Auction title includes the text "Wi-Fi 256GB Space Grey" - all of that information is completely irrelevant if you're just selling an empty box, why mention it unless you're attempting deceit? Also they have conveniently chosen as the first image a picture of the box taken at just the right angle so it could be mistaken for a picture of an actual ipad. True, it wouldn't fool most people but all it takes is one.

RYANdeals05/07/2020 22:58

If anyone thinks they are getting an iPad for that price, then the blame …If anyone thinks they are getting an iPad for that price, then the blame is on them.

So you think if someone is gullible that makes them fair game for fradusters? Nice.
Edited by: "spoo" 6th Jul
Agree with the OP this is an obvious ploy to trick someone into buying a box thinking there is a phone inside
Edited by: "ashmac" 6th Jul
Kids these days have bank accounts and eBay accounts etc. They have all social media accounts so why not eBay!
Now can you imagine that teenager kept quiet about his huge 1st mistake?

15 years ago I was looking for a mobile and the title was the brand and the word Bluetooth. Back then their were no screen front mobiles like we have now but it came as a Bluetooth receiver! Took me 5 years to digest I’d lost money over that stupid thing!
shadowfall05/07/2020 22:57

Description clearly says “empty box”, if someone was willing to bid around …Description clearly says “empty box”, if someone was willing to bid around £200 surely they would have read the description first

Must be the same people who are paying over £100 for a £50 Amazon gift card.

Auction title includes the text "Wi-Fi 256GB Space Grey" - all of that …Auction title includes the text "Wi-Fi 256GB Space Grey" - all of that information is completely irrelevant if you're just selling an empty box, why mention it unless you're attempting deceit? Also they have conveniently chosen as the first image a picture of the box taken at just the right angle so it could be mistaken for a picture of an actual ipad. True, it wouldn't fool most people but all it takes is one.So you think if someone is gullible that makes them fair game for fradusters? Nice.

It's not irrelevant at all,I know a chap that repairs iPhones and sells them,he'll only sell them in boxes with information which matches (where possible).

I think the bidding pattern is dodgy,without a doubt, but the actual listing is fine in my opinion.

Of course that information is relevant. The person looking to buy an empty box is likely selling the exact iPad mentioned and misplaced their box and knows an item is easier to sell when it is boxed. The box therefore needs to align with the iPad. And buying a box for a couple of quid can increase the value of their item by a good amount.

Note the seller has 100% positive feedback. The item also did sell for £200 previously and clearly this sale was cancelled before ever sending the item so I think it is unfair to make out this seller is dodgy and would send an empty box for that kind of money.

I never said it makes them fair game, but they have a responsibility to themselves to actually read the title and description. I do not see anything fraudulent in the listing description.

Again, how do you suggest they list an empty box in which any seller is perfectly entitled to sell? I do not see what more they can do so IMO if the auction ends and the buyer thinks they bought an iPad, the only explanation is they did not read the description before bidding which is of course solely their mistake. The seller cannot make them use their eyes and read the information they have provided.
Edited by: "RYANdeals" 6th Jul
It’s been delisted and relisted £1 bidding atm
The original listing finished, winning bid of £200, and straight away the seller listed again.

It just strikes me as wrong!
Sim06/07/2020 12:51

The original listing finished, winning bid of £200, and straight away the …The original listing finished, winning bid of £200, and straight away the seller listed again.It just strikes me as wrong!

But why is it wrong? If you were to purchase an empty box, labelled clearly everywhere by the seller as an empty box, for whatever price. Would you be upset that it turned up empty? The ad states numerous times the box is empty.

Question... What is the difference in what this person is doing? Or the other 10000+ watch boxes for sale on eBay.
ebay.co.uk/itm…181

Would you report this one? It clearly doesn’t come with 20 watches. Please explain.
ebay.co.uk/itm…166
I guess it comes down to if you could sit back and let someone pay £200 for an empty box
Sim06/07/2020 14:40

I guess it comes down to if you could sit back and let someone pay £200 …I guess it comes down to if you could sit back and let someone pay £200 for an empty box

Clearly no one paid £200 for an empty box as the item was relisted which would indicate the seller cancelled the sale upon informing the buyer it was not an iPad.

In bidding on eBay, you agree to the terms and that you have read the description. People sell plenty of empty items. Empty steelbooks, games, alcohol bottles etc. I just do not understand how you want the sellers to advertise these items?
Sim06/07/2020 14:40

I guess it comes down to if you could sit back and let someone pay £200 …I guess it comes down to if you could sit back and let someone pay £200 for an empty box

In all honestly, if someone is dumb enough to not see the huge “empty box” in the heading and then the “empty box does not contain iPad” in the description, then pay £200 for a product that they haven’t even read the title or description of, they deserve to lose their money. I actually feel sorry for the seller because if it’s been relisted, it’s due to the fact they had an idiot buying it in the first place and they’ve been honest and had to refund when in all fairness, they could have shipped an empty box out, cashed in £200 and had to answer to nobody.

If you walked into a shop and saw a box for sale with “empty box” on it, then asked the owner for a description and they said “it’s empty it dosent contain any product” would you buy it, take it home then ask for a refund when you see nothing is inside it? That is exactly what you are saying.
Edited by: "Kratos69" 6th Jul
Post a comment
@
    Text