Dodgy phone calls pretending to be Vodafone

Found 7th Jul 2007
I've recently started a new contract with Vodafone and have had a couple of calls from 08080000144 welcoming me to Vodafone and wanting to check my account details.

The first call I couldn't take as I was busy at work so she said she would try at a later date.

Something struck me mas a bit odd so I googled the number and got the following results google.co.uk/sea…ta= CLICKY

It seems as though this is a dodgy company trying pretending to be Vodafone to get my account details.

So when they rang again, I asked them to confirm sho they were by telling me my name or date of birth before I was willing to discuss any details with them, she refused and said until I had given my details, she couldn't so she ended the call.

Has anyhone else had any of these calls? Or know who they are, and where I should report this to.

12 Comments

Sloth/Mod

Ring Vodafone direct from your handset and have words with them. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Just rang them, and they don't know what the number is, and have no notes on my account of any calls being made to me.

But other than that, they said just let us know if it happens again and we will pass it onto the fraud department.

Have you got a restrict calls function on your phone? You could always try and block that number incoming.

I believe there are a few networks where people have a similar problem. I know of someone on '3' that had lots of calls from someone saying they were from '3' but in fact they were not.

One other scam that was doing the rounds was a number that would call and cut off before you could answer. If you called them back it was at a higher rate than normal, I think it was a £1.50 charge. I only know as I received such a call but I never call back numbers I do not know.

Instead I looked up the number on google and it was a scam. Similar tricks have had women phoning numbers and asking for help, sounding upset etc.. It then cuts off and when you call back you hear a ringing. The thing is the ringing is false and you are actually connected to a premium line.

There's no end to the tricks people will employ to take money from us. Usually if i sounds too good to be true it's either not true or it's a bargain on here.

As far as I am aware, I haven't had any of these types of calls, but thanks for saying so that I know to keep alert just in case :thumbsup:

Please do not fall for there spiteful trick!! They rang me today wanting me to move my contract from EE to 'Vodafone'. They offered me an outstanding deal that was hard to refuse but sounded too good to be true!!! Free Samsung Galaxy s5, unlimited texts and calls and 8GB of data all for £34.99 a month.. They even added the fact I would get the first 2 months free!!!! I told them i would go a long with this as long as they could sort out my current contract with EE. They told me that wasn't a problem and they would pay off everything. They then immediately started asking for my bank details which I was very hesitant on giving them over the phone! I asked for them to send me an email of all the information we had discussed in writing so I could read it through before committing to this offer. They refused and told me they can't send emails. I rang Vodafone and they told me straight away this wasn't them and they had heard of a similar case with somebody else just a few days ago. This is a scam and I am pleased I didn't sign up to anything I wasn't sure about.. I trusted my instinct! Please no one else be fooled by these awful people!!!!

Banned

What a bump. After 8 years lol

Amohsin

What a bump. After 8 years lol

Always worth bumping these types of threads.8)

skeegan123

01709918629 Please do not fall for there spiteful trick!! They rang me … 01709918629 Please do not fall for there spiteful trick!! They rang me today wanting me to move my contract from EE to 'Vodafone'. They offered me an outstanding deal that was hard to refuse but sounded too good to be true!!! Free Samsung Galaxy s5, unlimited texts and calls and 8GB of data all for £34.99 a month.. They even added the fact I would get the first 2 months free!!!! I told them i would go a long with this as long as they could sort out my current contract with EE. They told me that wasn't a problem and they would pay off everything. They then immediately started asking for my bank details which I was very hesitant on giving them over the phone! I asked for them to send me an email of all the information we had discussed in writing so I could read it through before committing to this offer. They refused and told me they can't send emails. I rang Vodafone and they told me straight away this wasn't them and they had heard of a similar case with somebody else just a few days ago. This is a scam and I am pleased I didn't sign up to anything I wasn't sure about.. I trusted my instinct! Please no one else be fooled by these awful people!!!!

I got a call from this number yesterday too, trying to move me to Voda from o2. I don't think it's a scam, I think they're a third party trying to earn commission, they couldn't beat my current deal, which surely they would have said they could, if they just wanted my details?

I had "John" from "Microsoft" call me last week.

I kept him on the phone for 40 mins whilst he tried to get me to hand control over my none existent PC to him - pretending I was hard of hearing.

It was a slow day that day........

ChrisUK

I had "John" from "Microsoft" call me last week.I kept him on the phone … I had "John" from "Microsoft" call me last week.I kept him on the phone for 40 mins whilst he tried to get me to hand control over my none existent PC to him - pretending I was hard of hearing.It was a slow day that day........

I get people with what sounds like Asian accents call my phone, trying to get me to switch energy suppliers, I try to be courteous when I tell them I'm not interested, but if they call back or won't relent, then I start telling a minute by minute breakdown of my previous day disguised as a story relating to that particular energy.

I've had some on the phone for 48 minutes before, with 45 of those me waffling on. I've also got one particular annoying person to call me back 37 times by saying "Yea I'm interested, what's the rates fo... wait I got to go, call me back 3 minutes"

Edited by: "PittancePincher" 22nd Jul 2015

Banned

That's a scam call, ignore them and publish their numbers on the Internet!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…18406821
    2. Is Black Friday a big con!1722
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7771918
    4. BT Price Increase from the 7th January 2018 for some2748

See more discussions