Expired

Dodgy sounding buyer on Gumtree

Found 23rd May 2012
Hey all, trying to sell an old phone on Gumtree and have the following potential buyer but he sounds well dodgy....how do I ensure I get his money in paypal without him withdrawing it?? Hes even offered me £30 more to post it....which is even more dodgy lol. I havent replied to his last email below yet i.e. havent given him my paypal details yet, any harm in doing this?

CONVO GOES:

HIM: “Thanks for the mail, i agreed with the condition, i will love to buy it. I would have come to pick it up but i am always busy at work all day's, so i will offer you £160 including the shipping amount (P+P)
So please kindly send me your PayPal email address and Name so as to make the payment right now.
Hope to read from you soon
Regards”

Me: “Hi there,
Thanks for your reply. I dont mind posting it, but I forgot to mention, it doesnt come with a box or any accessories apart from the phone itself, the memory card and the battery. Is that acceptable to yourself? If so, please let me know your postal address and I will forward my paypal details.
Look forward to hearing from you
J”

HIM: “The shipping address is registered and confirmed with PayPal.
Kindly get back to me with your PayPal email address and name so as to make the payment asap.
PayPal will get you informed the shipping address after the payment has been made.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Regards”
Community Updates
36 Comments
ask him for his details and send him an invoice?
Don't do it! I had a similar thing happen to me the one time I used gumtree......reply telling the item is now broken....I bet he will still wants to "buy" it
Scam
I personally would just forget about it, buddy. The fact that it's an electrical item sends alarm bells ringing to me. The grammar within his message is suspect also. I would ask him if he has an Ebay account, or has access to one, then suggest the sale on there. Otherwise, no sale, I'm afraid.
Don't do it because he will probably do a charge back. Only sell expensive goods on Gumtree by cash on collection.
Cheers all, thought as much, will tell him to do one hehe

HIM: “Thanks for the mail, i agreed with the condition, i will love to b … HIM: “Thanks for the mail, i agreed with the condition, i will love to buy it. I would have come to pick it up but i am always busy at work all day's, so i will offer you £160 including the shipping amount (P+P) So please kindly send me your PayPal email address and Name so as to make the payment right now. Hope to read from you soon Regards” Me: “Hi there, Thanks for your reply. I dont mind posting it, but I forgot to mention, it doesnt come with a box or any accessories apart from the phone itself, the memory card and the battery. Is that acceptable to yourself? If so, please let me know your postal address and I will forward my paypal details. Look forward to hearing from you J” HIM: “The shipping address is registered and confirmed with PayPal. Kindly get back to me with your PayPal email address and name so as to make the payment asap. PayPal will get you informed the shipping address after the payment has been made. Hope to hear from you soon. Regards”

Defiantly stay away. He could be a nice, but just the bit's I've highlighted sounds like a scam,
when I was selling my motorbike I got tonnes of them, saying the same thing...
I'm more than happy to pay full blardy blar.
Please kindly get back to me blar blar.
Tell us what you say to him
No doubt you won't get a reply
Cheers dylan, replied with the following (thought I would continue the 'banter' for a bit longer lol!). Will let you know what he says

ME: "Hi there,

Thank you most kindly for your reply. Could you please advise which country you are based in, just so I know roughly how much postage and packing will be? You seem like a very honourable person, so I am eager to complete the sale asap

Kind regards"
I'd never use PayPal in gumtree. Cash on collection only. I've sold a few high value items in there and always got the odd dodgy email, I just ignored them.
jagtag

Cheers dylan, replied with the following (thought I would continue the … Cheers dylan, replied with the following (thought I would continue the 'banter' for a bit longer lol!). Will let you know what he says :)ME: "Hi there,Thank you most kindly for your reply. Could you please advise which country you are based in, just so I know roughly how much postage and packing will be? You seem like a very honourable person, so I am eager to complete the sale asap :)Kind regards"

You seem like a very honourable person ha
Grill

Don't do it because he will probably do a charge back. Only sell … Don't do it because he will probably do a charge back. Only sell expensive goods on Gumtree by cash on collection.

Can someone please explain what it means by chargeback, as I thought if you were paid via PayPal, and the money was then paid into your PayPal account - it couldn't then be withdrawn by the original payer.
Gumtree = Collection only & Cash
punkstoner1

lol

How is that even funny?
Gumtree + Paypal = scam! Don't do it!
He has responded as follows

HIM: "The Postage and Packing is just £15 and i have already add it to the amount am offering you.
so kindly get back to me with your PayPal email address so as to make the payment asap"

Sounds like he's getting a tad impatient
It's a scam!!
He will probably e-mail you a bogus Paypal receipt.

Set up a second e-mail addy, and send him it.
Don't do it OP,I'll offer £50 extra for postage to me.
Hahah that's funny.
OP reply with Okay then that's great.
Here is my details.
bob@stopwastingmytimeyoulowlifescammer.getajob.com

Something like that
Scam works as follows

Buyer pays using Paypal
Buyer collects item
Buyer claims item not received through PayPal
PayPal refunds buyer as you can't prove it was delivered - no tracking, no postage receipt etc

Seller loses goods and money.
Oooh, now the cat comes out of the bag (if that's the correct saying?? haha):

ME (in response to his previous email): "I would like to confirm this myself, please let me know which area and country I am posting to
Regards"

HIM: "No 16, Bolarinwa Street Agbowo UI, Ibadan, Oyo State 23402, NIGERIA"
I had to read again to understand who the scammer was when I saw "I forgot to mention, it doesnt come with a box or any accessories apart from the phone itself..."
jagtag

Oooh, now the cat comes out of the bag (if that's the correct saying?? Oooh, now the cat comes out of the bag (if that's the correct saying?? haha):ME (in response to his previous email): "I would like to confirm this myself, please let me know which area and country I am posting toRegards"HIM: "No 16, Bolarinwa Street Agbowo UI, Ibadan, Oyo State 23402, NIGERIA"

Hahahahah
Bloody hell.
Copy and paste this into google...Normal search not maps.

16, Bolarinwa Street Agbowo UI, Ibadan, Oyo State 23402, NIGERIA

dylanjb100

Bloody hell.Copy and paste this into google...Normal search not maps.16, … Bloody hell.Copy and paste this into google...Normal search not maps.16, Bolarinwa Street Agbowo UI, Ibadan, Oyo State 23402, NIGERIA

Genuine then...

Sell
I had one of these scammers once.

The fact that they offered to pay any postage I wanted should have bee the first warning sign.

After them promising to pay via paypal and me sending them a paypal invoice, they then asked for the item to be sent to Nigeria.

Unsurprisingly, they said that they had paid the money, which they hadn't, so of course I didn't send anything.

My advice if you are going to use methods such as Paypal, is to obtain a verifiable address, landline and mobile telephone numbers and check out each, ringing both numbers to ensure that they are at least UK based.
Slash

I had to read again to understand who the scammer was when I saw "I … I had to read again to understand who the scammer was when I saw "I forgot to mention, it doesnt come with a box or any accessories apart from the phone itself..."

I thought exactly the same thing.
Slash

I had to read again to understand who the scammer was when I saw "I … I had to read again to understand who the scammer was when I saw "I forgot to mention, it doesnt come with a box or any accessories apart from the phone itself..."

What, I told him in the first email reply. Its not as if hes 'paid' for it already :P
send him an email saying you know he's a scammer and threaten to bring him down
dylanjb100

Bloody hell.Copy and paste this into google...Normal search not maps.16, … Bloody hell.Copy and paste this into google...Normal search not maps.16, Bolarinwa Street Agbowo UI, Ibadan, Oyo State 23402, NIGERIA

Crikey, the boy gets about doesnt he lol. He must be running the nigerian version of Amazon, selling all his stuff on thats hes conned out of people.
theboyyy786

send him an email saying you know he's a scammer and threaten to bring … send him an email saying you know he's a scammer and threaten to bring him down

LOL! Reminds me of this....in fact I might just send him this link hahahah

youtube.com/wat…B8F
HAHAHAH, typing it into google is amazing.

http://us3.memecdn.com/seems-legit_o_205222.jpg
DO NOT INTERACT WITH THIS CON ARTIST ANY MOREE !!!
he wanted to buy my playstation 3 !! offered me £270 instead of £240
he said he was busy at work and couldnt collect just like he said to you

offered me £30 for postage

i should have realized by this point it was a scam but i proceeded anyway
received an email from "paypal" for £170
so i rang paypal and they told me they never sent an email
and to have no further contact with this man

I hope this helps !!! And that you haven't been scammed

Sam Bailey
samandjess

DO NOT INTERACT WITH THIS CON ARTIST ANY MOREE !!! he wanted to buy my … DO NOT INTERACT WITH THIS CON ARTIST ANY MOREE !!! he wanted to buy my playstation 3 !! offered me £270 instead of £240 he said he was busy at work and couldnt collect just like he said to you offered me £30 for postage i should have realized by this point it was a scam but i proceeded anyway received an email from "paypal" for £170 so i rang paypal and they told me they never sent an email and to have no further contact with this man I hope this helps !!! And that you haven't been scammed Sam Bailey

Haha.
samandjess

DO NOT INTERACT WITH THIS CON ARTIST ANY MOREE !!! he wanted to buy my … DO NOT INTERACT WITH THIS CON ARTIST ANY MOREE !!! he wanted to buy my playstation 3 !! offered me £270 instead of £240 he said he was busy at work and couldnt collect just like he said to you offered me £30 for postage i should have realized by this point it was a scam but i proceeded anyway received an email from "paypal" for £170 so i rang paypal and they told me they never sent an email and to have no further contact with this man I hope this helps !!! And that you haven't been scammed Sam Bailey

Did you post the playstation?
a guy tried to con me..sent me sms..it came up with his name not number
thats strange..told me he want to buy and to send my paypal or bank details
i sent back i am a careful seller...cash on pick up only..did he get back to me...no way..
Edited by moderator: "." 6th Nov 2012

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants