Expired

Does 3's All-you-can eat work on iPad?

Found 10th Jul 2013
Hi guys,

Looking to renewal my iPad data contract (currently £26pm for 15GB). I noticed that 3 has some "all-you-can-eat" offers for smartphones - would that work on the iPad?

store.three.co.uk/vie…ATE

10 Comments

Banned

yes..

I believe three restrict their phone sims to work in a phone only,

U need to buy an iPad sim with data.

as I can't tether currently (but I am on all you can eat I was thinking about putting phone sim into iPad) but it won't work.

I'm moving to the one plan which is all you can eat and tethering so don't need to buy a 3G iPad anymore

Original Poster

dav465

I believe three restrict their phone sims to work in a phone only,U need … I believe three restrict their phone sims to work in a phone only,U need to buy an iPad sim with data.as I can't tether currently (but I am on all you can eat I was thinking about putting phone sim into iPad) but it won't work.I'm moving to the one plan which is all you can eat and tethering so don't need to buy a 3G iPad anymore

Three's pay monthly packages are expensive, and have 15GB cap. Which is a shame because their internet has fairer fair usage policy - which makes it great in iPad. I'd much prefer to have all-you-can-eat, and not get tied down for another 2 years.

Been looking some people said the smartphone data won't work in iPad - yet some managed to get it to work? maybe they didn't set the right APN setting?

It might also have something to do with the right package. (pay monthly vs sim-only) Apparently 3 started to block iPad use on new smartphone monthly contract - it won't work. But if it's a sim-only you got - it might work. So I'll try the Ultimate Internet SIM 200 plan (£12.9pm). They've got £25 quidco cashback - so even if it doesn't work - still make £12.1. lol

Just wondering if I should put the sim into iPhone first - then swap it into iPad to make 3 think it's an iPhone?

But that might trigger their no sim swap policy. It's as if I'm walking through the minefield. oO

Edited by: "Quicklite" 10th Jul 2013

Banned

dav465

I believe three restrict their phone sims to work in a phone only,U need … I believe three restrict their phone sims to work in a phone only,U need to buy an iPad sim with data.as I can't tether currently (but I am on all you can eat I was thinking about putting phone sim into iPad) but it won't work.I'm moving to the one plan which is all you can eat and tethering so don't need to buy a 3G iPad anymore

Nope,

used an allyoucaneat contract sim card... ran 2 ipads and 2 netbooks teathered, also ps3 online occasionaly.

did the same with a payg unlimited 3 simcard (paid £15 for unlimited data) after the contract finished and again the same as above.

also put the sim in my ipad whilst out and about with no problems.

Vodafone on the other hand restrict the data, by removing the portable hotsopt option when itried one of their sim cards in my iphone...

Original Poster

opalpopal

Nope,used an allyoucaneat contract sim card... ran 2 ipads and 2 netbooks … Nope,used an allyoucaneat contract sim card... ran 2 ipads and 2 netbooks teathered, also ps3 online occasionaly.did the same with a payg unlimited 3 simcard (paid £15 for unlimited data) after the contract finished and again the same as above.also put the sim in my ipad whilst out and about with no problems.Vodafone on the other hand restrict the data, by removing the portable hotsopt option when itried one of their sim cards in my iphone...

That's a relief to hear. But when did you try it? Perhaps this blocking thing is quite recent?

And presumably you put the sim into the phones first - before the iPad?

Banned

Quicklite

That's a relief to hear. But when did you try it? Perhaps this blocking … That's a relief to hear. But when did you try it? Perhaps this blocking thing is quite recent?And presumably you put the sim into the phones first - before the iPad?

TBH it was approx 3 months ago. and yes the sim into an iphone first as it was supplied to me on an all you can eat contract with the iphone. once the contract finished i used a payg doind the same.

maybe the block is a recent thing?

Quicklite

That's a relief to hear. But when did you try it? Perhaps this blocking … That's a relief to hear. But when did you try it? Perhaps this blocking thing is quite recent?And presumably you put the sim into the phones first - before the iPad?

No! It makes no difference, I used my PAYG sim from three to tether on my iPhone and they reckon that is not allowed as well, as long as the sim is the right size, put it in, whats' the worst that could happen.

O I never tried it but it is in their T&C. Hidden way down page 28

Search for points to note and it explicitly says
"Use your SIM in the device category of your price plan.
'You can’t put your voice SIM into anything other than a phone (e.g dongle, laptop, tablet). For example, if you’re on The One Plan you must use you SIM in a mobile handset only, you can’t remove it and place it in a mobile broadband dongle.’"

Edit: I was about to fix the spelling mistake which I somehow managed to get from copying and pasting. Double checked T&C and their document is spelt incorrectly.

Edited by: "dav465" 11th Jul 2013

Original Poster

dav465

O I never tried it but it is in their T&C. Hidden way down page 28Search … O I never tried it but it is in their T&C. Hidden way down page 28Search for points to note and it explicitly says"Use your SIM in the device category of your price plan.'You can’t put your voice SIM into anything other than a phone (e.g dongle, laptop, tablet). For example, if you’re on The One Plan you must use you SIM in a mobile handset only, you can’t remove it and place it in a mobile broadband dongle.’"Edit: I was about to fix the spelling mistake which I somehow managed to get from copying and pasting. Double checked T&C and their document is spelt incorrectly.

As in if you put it into a phone - it's data are locked into that phone;

Or alternatively if you put it into iPad first - it rejects the iPad??

oO

It says put sim into device category for price plan. If you buy a phone plan put it in phone, but a data plan put it into tablet/dongle.

That's my interpretation.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants