Does a business have to be a business customer for phone contracts?

Found 12th Nov 2017
The company I work for pays for my sim contract, and they are a business customer on o2 - and the rates are just stupid. Like for the price my boss is paying for a sim only he could get the same deal for an iphone 8 with the same data and minutes

I got a text saying the contract is ending and will be renewed soon so I was going to ask my boss if he would let me pick out a different deal (with a handset) for the same cost, cause I really need a new phone.

But I don't wanna do this and sound cheeky for no reason if there is a reason he has to be a business customer rather than just going for the best deal.
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
When I used to look after my companies small Orange account (about 10 years ago) the rates were 40% cheaper than the public and handsets were provided bi-annually.

I had to provide bank statements for the company and company letter heads everytime the account was changed in store so yeah I'd say if you want a business account, they'd want to see you're a proper business.
This is how comanies make money. Bill gates for example did not make his billions selling windows for personal use for £30. He got it from selling to businesses for £200+ .
666FU15 m ago

This is how comanies make money. Bill gates for example did not make his …This is how comanies make money. Bill gates for example did not make his billions selling windows for personal use for £30. He got it from selling to businesses for £200+ .

Interesting theory but you’re way out.
darlodge24 m ago

When I used to look after my companies small Orange account (about 10 …When I used to look after my companies small Orange account (about 10 years ago) the rates were 40% cheaper than the public and handsets were provided bi-annually.I had to provide bank statements for the company and company letter heads everytime the account was changed in store so yeah I'd say if you want a business account, they'd want to see you're a proper business.

it's the opposite of what I want, it is already a business account but for the same price on a personal plan we could get an iphone 8
murtgurge19 m ago

it's the opposite of what I want, it is already a business account but for …it's the opposite of what I want, it is already a business account but for the same price on a personal plan we could get an iphone 8

Probably something to do with getting VAT or putting it in as expenses to offset tax.
i think it sounds like the company just didn't do a good job in researching and negotiating a phone package.

as darlodge states, businesses should be able to get cheaper tariffs than customers (assuming there are enough lines). my company for example pays peanuts for sim only plans, probably less than half of retail, but we do have hundreds of lines so the economy of scale pays off.

worth checking if you can negotiate a larger number of lines
How do you plan on having the company pay for your new contract?
I know the way ours works where it's not an allowance on each sim but the total allowance goes into one big pot across everyone. Also we receive x percentage back per sim cost (the more sims the higher that percentage goes) which goes into a pot, that pot can be used to buy hardware or to take off your bill. It's not just as simple as looking at the cost of one sim. Also you get all the reports company wide and at sim level, if you where on a personal contract the company could not look at your bill/itemisation.The hardware also remains property of the company, which it wouldn't if it where a personal contract, to add to that, companies will have data protection policies along with other policies especially if the device is connecting to company wifi or systems. This wouldn't apply to a personal phone.
You can also have the abilty to manage these devices, pushing out apk's, updates etc group wide. Taking that even further if any of those devices are running a company app, you can tell the GPS location (and history/activity history) of those devices while they are logged into that app incase anyone missplaces a device (you have to be logged into the app as you cannot be tracked outside of work).
If you might be required to make phone calls while driving, the company must ensure the car has hands free if not provide the user with a hands free kit, again not applicible if personal device.
When we looking at designing or buying a new app for example we also know our estate of devices along with firmware,OS versions and any applied patches to ensure full compatibility across the hardware estate.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 12th Nov 2017
if it is a big company they will have a policy in place and you won't be able to choose your own. the company will need to put the costs through their company accounts so allowing you personal contract will not allow them to do this, not to mention the logistic of paying the private bill.

i doubt it will work.
Explain your feelings to your boss stating you think the company is overpaying. Take it from there
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants