Does a DECT phone connect to a fibre router?

Posted 2nd Oct
Just upgraded my ADSL BB to fibre from Plusnet and they are sending a new fibre router. Unsure whether BT Wholesale will be supplying modem and new faceplate that encompasses filter? But now I am worried what my DECT phone will connect to? Will I just need a splitter at the master socket or will the phone connect to the modem or router?

I have nothing fancy in the house - no telephone extensions or Sky or anything.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
Works the same way as adsl unless you've got fibre to the premises which I doubt. So you'll just use a filtered splitter on your socket, they won't give you a new faceplate or separate modem.
My router supports DECT handsets directly. fritzbox.
The DECT part is unlikely to be relevant. The other side is probably more important - is it a POTS wired connection?
InetUID02/10/2019 19:04

The DECT part is unlikely to be relevant. The other side is probably more …The DECT part is unlikely to be relevant. The other side is probably more important - is it a POTS wired connection?

not a clue sorry, but I imagine it is a plain and simple thing - nothing fancy - oldish house with copper wire from telegraph pole - about 300 yards from the exchange. we have been here donkeys years and the DECT phone we have just comes off a filtered splitter with the router/modem going in the other side of the splitter

Is it possible that BT wholesale will fit a new double socket to replace the current single socket with built in filter of course?
Edited by: "tardytortoise" 2nd Oct
tardytortoise02/10/2019 19:17

not a clue sorry, but I imagine it is a plain and simple thing - nothing …not a clue sorry, but I imagine it is a plain and simple thing - nothing fancy - oldish house with copper wire from telegraph pole - about 300 yards from the exchange. we have been here donkeys years and the DECT phone we have just comes off a filtered splitter with the router/modem going in the other side of the splitterIs it possible that BT wholesale will fit a new double socket to replace the current single socket with built in filter of course?

If they are coming to visit to install it. Most likely the socket will be upgraded to latest version which is the nte5c mk4 which normally has a built in filter. So you just plug phone in one side and router the other. If no visit. It’s no different to the current set up but just swap the old router to the new one.
I don't think Plusnet currently offer FTTP.

If it is a typical FTTC "fibre" (fibre to the cabinet) package it still uses the existing copper phone line and you'll receive a VDSL router (plusnet hub one) which still connects to the existing master socket along with your phone via an adsl filter.

thinkbroadband.com/gui…ide
rickyg0102/10/2019 22:58

If they are coming to visit to install it. Most likely the socket will be …If they are coming to visit to install it. Most likely the socket will be upgraded to latest version which is the nte5c mk4 which normally has a built in filter. So you just plug phone in one side and router the other. If no visit. It’s no different to the current set up but just swap the old router to the new one.

yes they are visiting and I am guessing they will replace my existing socket. Sorry to sound thick, but will it have 2 ports? one to plug the phone into and one to plug the new router into? I don't want to afterwards to buy and fit some new faceplate to convert a single to a double. Many Thanks
tardytortoise03/10/2019 08:28

yes they are visiting and I am guessing they will replace my existing …yes they are visiting and I am guessing they will replace my existing socket. Sorry to sound thick, but will it have 2 ports? one to plug the phone into and one to plug the new router into? I don't want to afterwards to buy and fit some new faceplate to convert a single to a double. Many Thanks

Yes it will.
tardytortoise03/10/2019 08:28

yes they are visiting and I am guessing they will replace my existing …yes they are visiting and I am guessing they will replace my existing socket. Sorry to sound thick, but will it have 2 ports? one to plug the phone into and one to plug the new router into? I don't want to afterwards to buy and fit some new faceplate to convert a single to a double. Many Thanks

Have the not said why they need to visit? It's very unusual and was stopped about 5 years ago. It was only the early packages they bothered sending people out. After that you just got a router.
dcx_badass03/10/2019 16:05

Have the not said why they need to visit? It's very unusual and was …Have the not said why they need to visit? It's very unusual and was stopped about 5 years ago. It was only the early packages they bothered sending people out. After that you just got a router.

From what I can gather, they do something at the exchange and cabinet and said they needed to visit to ensure everything is OK in my premises. Maybe, its just a quick check whilst they have someone on the case to avoid a future visit. If they are not planning to do a socket and faceplate change maybe a smile and a cup of coffee will tempt them.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants