Expired

Does A Facebook Non-Friend (No Mutual Friends) Get A Phone Notification When The Message Is Sent To Their "Other" Folder?

Found 29th Oct 2014
As above. I've just spotted an old friend from 10+ years ago on Facebook. I can't remember if she had an "Add Friend" button but there was definitely a "Follow" button on there when I first found her. All of her "About" details were blank.

Sent a message last week but Facebook said it sends it to the "Other" folder. Would she get a phone notification? Is there any way I can see whether she's read it?

She updated her Profile picture last night (she doesn't seem to go on a lot) but haven't heard a thing. Just trying to figure out if she's not noticed the message or isn't replying. Thanks.

I've read older posts about Facebook saying messages in the "Other" folder can sit there unnoticed for years! But the posts are a few years old...not sure if Facebook has made miscellaneous Messages easier to see nowadays.

12 Comments

Whenever I receive a message from somebody who isn't on my friend's list.. It does goes to my 'Other' folder. I don't receive a notification what so ever, on Web Browser or even my iPhone. It's quite annoying.

Edited by: "IHaveFangs" 29th Oct 2014

No theirs no notification. It's happened to me a few times

Original Poster

Thank you I have had non-mutual-friends "talk" to me on Messenger and I've heard the "ping" on my phone and PC, but it's been on a Public page. I'm guessing that situation is slightly different. Guess I'll only know if she replies.

Don't see a "Seen" notification on the message, either, so not sure what to think!
Edited by: "louiselouise" 30th Oct 2014

Did a box not come up to pay so it went to her inbox? When I wanted to contact someone who didn't have the add friend option it let me pay to send it to her inbox was only 50p or around that I think.

Original Poster

Yes, there is an option to pay or for the message to go in the "Other" folder. I'm really not that familiar with Facebook so I don't know if she's read the message in the "Other" folder or not. Or if she's changed her Privacy settings last night.

Can you have "Follow" showing as well as "Add Friend"? I remember seeing "Follow" there, but not the other option. I always think it's more polite than just randomly firing out Friend Requests, as my profile is quite private too.

people can only check 'other' messages from PC. it's where all the junk goes. some people don't notice for months. I didn't know about it at first til last year and had messages from 2009

Banned

Well I get my messages. Try to unfriend your friend then message them to see if it works . You may need to change settings

Original Poster

sofiasar

Well I get my messages. Try to unfriend your friend then message them to … Well I get my messages. Try to unfriend your friend then message them to see if it works . You may need to change settings

Erm, she's not on my Friends list!

Banned

louiselouise

Erm, she's not on my Friends list!

Yes I know that! I mean one of your other friends

Original Poster

sofiasar

Yes I know that! I mean one of your other friends

You didn't make it very clear, though your intentions are good, I'm sure. If you said "existing friend" I'd have got what you meant.

Banned

louiselouise

You didn't make it very clear, though your intentions are good, I'm sure. … You didn't make it very clear, though your intentions are good, I'm sure. If you said "existing friend" I'd have got what you meant.

I said so because she is not your friend at the moment so I thought you would understand, I ment your friends as other friends like your pals .
never mind.

Original Poster

I'm happy to report (a month later) that my Friend messaged out of the blue yesterday, "Oh my God, I've just read this, I've looked for you a few times!" (my profile is Private)

Patience is a virtue sometimes

I even had an ex-boyfriend wish me well after I realised he'd relocated back to Glasgow and sent a non-Friend message (though it took him a week or two to read it), so it was nice to revisit the past and stay friendly
Edited by: "louiselouise" 25th Nov 2014
Post a comment
@
    Text