Does Amazon Prime hurt competition?

Found 17th Jul
It seems to me that if you pay Amazon yearly for postage (with other perks) then you are less likely to user other suppliers, even if they are cheaper. Eventually you will stop looking at other suppliers only to find that Amazon no longer has to keep prices low because it has crushed any opposition.
Amazon prime = ease + service = locked in customers + less competition.
Community Updates
Misc
21 Comments
Doubt it does. Most retailer price match with Amazon ( Sold and Distributed by Amazon). It’s down to each individual who want to purchase from a competitor.
Nah not really paying £7.00 a month to only use it a couple of times put me off tbh
I'm an Amazon Prime Mug . Its just for laziness , next day delivery (sometimes !) . Many Amazon items are cheaper on eBay or elsewhere (often from the same seller) for less money . Check a few common items (batteries , sd cards etc ) and you will see that "Prime next day (maybe )" are more expensive than the same "non prime" item .

Amazon "Prime " is for lazy mugs (like me ) who occasionally want an item immediately and is very rarely the best deal available . Folks who use Amazon exclusively are just being daft unless they use the Camels to check the price of an item on Amazon -which always have inflated RRPs on their listings .

As I have said many times before - "You can lead an HUKD member to water but you can't make them drink "

Do your research before buying and you will find that Amazon do not have a monopoly on the best deals .
I shop around and to be fair amazon are normally cheaper for me and there customer service is very good plus if you work full time last thing you want to do on your day off is walk round shops so next day delivery at your place of work is spot on .
Yes I think so, you only have to look at Tesco direct closing recently as proof of this.
A lot of people waiting for Amazon to price match Tesco instead of buying from Tesco themselves.
Not good for competition and I think we the customers will lose out in the long run after Amazon have wiped out the competition
killerboy321 h, 2 m ago

Yes I think so, you only have to look at Tesco direct closing recently as …Yes I think so, you only have to look at Tesco direct closing recently as proof of this.A lot of people waiting for Amazon to price match Tesco instead of buying from Tesco themselves. Not good for competition and I think we the customers will lose out in the long run after Amazon have wiped out the competition

Price matching is important (via asking them) like with John Lewis and Richer Sounds.
When Tesco Direct started charging for collections and then changing clubcard stuff, that didn't help them.
And a lot of items weren't sold by Tesco themselves.
Amazon are good but they aren't enough to take over the entire market. If they start having walk in stores then the rest are screwed
Edited by: "rev6" 18th Jul
I tend to avoid argos for their flat rate deliver fee of just under £4, most other places I shop for with delivery fees included would still be cheaper than there without. £4 delivery for furniture is a great price, for something the size of an envelope is laughable.
Also avoid them delivering anything because I have bought form their ebay outlet in the past and had things go to the wrong address, then had to wait 3 weeks for royal mail to send it back to them as they were unable to do anything
No they do it because they love unicorns.
Not with yesterday's "deals"
Wongy1106 h, 52 m ago

34403041-lATXt.jpg
The Narwhals ended the Unicorn menance a low time ago....
Wongy1107 h, 28 m ago

lol, yeah I'm pretty sure the whole point of Prime is to encourage you to shop with them once you are a member.
I have prime but I use ebay quite a bit as its cheaper and if you can get sellers who post everyday. Last week needed a present £11 with prime, bought on ebay for £6.99 with free 1st class which arrived the next day. I always check both sites before purchasing.
Its a shame Tesco dropped out as I feel there aren't really many more alternatives than ebay/amazon.
Edited by: "splatsplatsplat" 18th Jul
No, not everyone is stupid enough to pay £39/79 a year along with mostly high prices for the items
Evolve or die. If you sell commodity then price matters. And getting it delivered to you quickly rather than having to go get it matters as well

Amazon offers what people want (Oh no it doesn't/Oh yes it bloomin well does!)
But the £79 isn't just for postage though is it?

For me, £79 a year for unlimited next day delivery, unlimited photo storage, Amazon Music, Prime Video, Twitch, Kindle Unlimited, lots of random prime freebies that you get throughout the year and share the benefits with another member for free, I genuinely think its unbelievable value!
Toybhoy10 m ago

But the £79 isn't just for postage though is it?For me, £79 a year for u …But the £79 isn't just for postage though is it?For me, £79 a year for unlimited next day delivery, unlimited photo storage, Amazon Music, Prime Video, Twitch, Kindle Unlimited, lots of random prime freebies that you get throughout the year and share the benefits with another member for free, I genuinely think its unbelievable value!

It doesn't give you kindle unlimited, it gives you a cut down version last time i looked. But i agree with the rest.
CoeK3 m ago

It doesn't give you kindle unlimited, it gives you a cut down version last …It doesn't give you kindle unlimited, it gives you a cut down version last time i looked. But i agree with the rest.

Ahh sorry Prime Reading, that';s right. I got mixed up cos I recently took up a Prime only offer of 3 months free Kindle Unlimited. There's always Prime offers and freebies so just adds to the value
Toybhoy1 h, 39 m ago

But the £79 isn't just for postage though is it?For me, £79 a year for u …But the £79 isn't just for postage though is it?For me, £79 a year for unlimited next day delivery, unlimited photo storage, Amazon Music, Prime Video, Twitch, Kindle Unlimited, lots of random prime freebies that you get throughout the year and share the benefits with another member for free, I genuinely think its unbelievable value!

Not very often I agree with someone of your footballing persuasion but absolutely spot on!

The missus watches far more on Prime than she does on Sky and we got the full package with Sky Q minibox in our bedroom too.

As for what others are saying about you being able to get items cheaper elsewhere, well yeah and that is why you do a few searches with other retailers and consult Mr Google before pulling the trigger.

Being a Prime subscriber don't make us use them that much at all, in fact yesterday and the day before was the first time we'd bought anything from Amazon in over two months.
Most other online retailers are doing pay £20-30 and get next day free for a year. You can’t buy everything on amazon and neither would anyone buy wholly from amazon, for example clothes aren’t something most people buy from amazon.
The reason I use Amazon is because so many suppliers now charge insane prices to ship to the Highlands if they even shipped at all then ebay also offered sellers the option not to sell to people in the Highlands. In addition to that Amazon returns are quick and easy whereas others (ebuyer and Scan particularly) could be challenging and time consuming.

Prime is certainly a sweetener but I only use it because other stores are so bad.
Amazon have released the statistics that show that prime members spend a higher percentage on Amazon that non prime members (as you would expect), therefore prime causes it's members to spend more on Amazon that other stores, therefore Prime does hurt it's competition to a degree.

On a personal level, I buy most things off of Amazon as it have my payment saved, my multiple addresses saved, super quick delivery, lockers available, good customer service. That's all worth paying a tad extra for me, the sheer convenience.

Also prime is fantastic value for money, especially on the student rate.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants