Does Android Pay need an active data connection ?

Found 25th Jun 2016
As per subject...
When paying do you need an active data connection ?

Thanks
Community Updates
17 Comments
no

found on google in about 3seconds
I did read that occasionally it may ask for it for security check but I've not heard anyone say they've had this happen.
I found it slightly concerning that your phone doesn't need to be unlocked for payments upto £30 just the screen turned on, so I keep my NFC turned off that way no one could use my phone for payments without knowing the secure pattern as you can't access the drop down toggles with a pattern/pin/password on your lockscreen (which the Android Pay app requires you to set up)
I've found using it works really well and easy with some scanners just holding your phone slightly above it, but with some others (maybe older) you need to actually touch your phone onto it for it to detect it
jco83

I did read that occasionally it may ask for it for security check but … I did read that occasionally it may ask for it for security check but I've not heard anyone say they've had this happen.I found it slightly concerning that your phone doesn't need to be unlocked for payments upto £30 just the screen turned on, so I keep my NFC turned off that way no one could use my phone for payments without knowing the secure pattern as you can't access the drop down toggles with a pattern/pin/password on your lockscreen (which the Android Pay app requires you to set up)I've found using it works really well and easy with some scanners just holding your phone slightly above it, but with some others (maybe older) you need to actually touch your phone onto it for it to detect it

​Screen needs to be on and your phone needs to be 5cm or less away from a terminal for payment to work. Also a notification will appear and stay. Phone beeps and vibrates. Think you Nfc chip in your bank card that's always active has more chance of being used without you knowing.
jco83

I did read that occasionally it may ask for it for security check but … I did read that occasionally it may ask for it for security check but I've not heard anyone say they've had this happen.I found it slightly concerning that your phone doesn't need to be unlocked for payments upto £30 just the screen turned on, so I keep my NFC turned off that way no one could use my phone for payments without knowing the secure pattern as you can't access the drop down toggles with a pattern/pin/password on your lockscreen (which the Android Pay app requires you to set up)I've found using it works really well and easy with some scanners just holding your phone slightly above it, but with some others (maybe older) you need to actually touch your phone onto it for it to detect it

why are you concerned about the unlocking part. if the screen is off you cant pay for anything accidentally. how often your phone will turn on in your pocket?
mattsokolinski

why are you concerned about the unlocking part. if the screen is off you … why are you concerned about the unlocking part. if the screen is off you cant pay for anything accidentally. how often your phone will turn on in your pocket?

If someone else got hold of my phone somehow or I left it somewhere, if NFC is on all that's required is to press the power button to wake the screen and you can make payment up to £30. When I heard that I thought it seemed silly they would allow that, but that's how they've done it.
For payments over £30 the phone needs to be unlocked.
jco83

If someone else got hold of my phone somehow or I left it somewhere, if … If someone else got hold of my phone somehow or I left it somewhere, if NFC is on all that's required is to press the power button to wake the screen and you can make payment up to £30. When I heard that I thought it seemed silly they would allow that, but that's how they've done it.For payments over £30 the phone needs to be unlocked.

​if your nfc is turned off it cant be turned back on without unlocking the screen. its alot more secure than a contactless card. if youre unsure about it just dont install the app.
i just turn off nfc and if i need to pay via android pay (because of forgetting my bank card etc) i always have a backup.
jamierichardson129

​if your nfc is turned off it cant be turned back on without unlocking t … ​if your nfc is turned off it cant be turned back on without unlocking the screen. its alot more secure than a contactless card. if youre unsure about it just dont install the app.

jamierichardson129

i just turn off nfc and if i need to pay via android pay (because of … i just turn off nfc and if i need to pay via android pay (because of forgetting my bank card etc) i always have a backup.

That's exactly what I said above
jco83

That's exactly what I said above

yup thats why i liked your post
jco83

If someone else got hold of my phone somehow or I left it somewhere, if … If someone else got hold of my phone somehow or I left it somewhere, if NFC is on all that's required is to press the power button to wake the screen and you can make payment up to £30. When I heard that I thought it seemed silly they would allow that, but that's how they've done it.For payments over £30 the phone needs to be unlocked.

​If you lost your phone there is this webpage... https://www.google.co.uk/android/devicemanager

And it's a bit of hypocritical since if you lose your wallet anyone can do anything with your card
Cheers. I've tried it today with and without data and it worked fine.
Thanks
mattsokolinski

​If you lost your phone there is this webpage... h … ​If you lost your phone there is this webpage... https://www.google.co.uk/android/devicemanagerAnd it's a bit of hypocritical since if you lose your wallet anyone can do anything with your card

I see what you mean
jamierichardson129

jamierichardson129

I found it strange that they made it so you don't need to unlock your phone for payments upto £30. Safer to make it so unlock is always required I thought
jco83

I found it strange that they made it so you don't need to unlock your … I found it strange that they made it so you don't need to unlock your phone for payments upto £30. Safer to make it so unlock is always required I thought

No idea what this is all about being able to make payments with device being locked. Possibly everyone has the screen off but that does not mean your device is actually locked. I've tried today twice with my Nexus 6P in two different stores with my device locked and payment would not work until I unlocked my device. Google website and other all say the same. In settings>security two settings > Lock device after x seconds/minutes and Power Button instantly locks toggle (mine is set to on). Another slightly related setting is your screen timeout so after x time screen goes into sleep which then activates the setting for the phone lock.
When installing Android Pay or many banking apps they force you to place a lock on your phone if you do not already have one. Without placing my fingerprint onto my phone I can't unlock it to pay using android pay.
Back to the OP's question as others have said a data connection is not needed. You device is sending your details to the payment device, said payment device has the secure and encrypted data connection. Your device is simply passing your payment details to payment device, that device is then handling the transaction (it has the data connection). In other words it is not your device that is handling the actual payment transaction hence no need for data connection.

Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 26th Jun 2016
jco83

I found it strange that they made it so you don't need to unlock your … I found it strange that they made it so you don't need to unlock your phone for payments upto £30. Safer to make it so unlock is always required I thought

i agree,​especially as a lot of phones are using fingerprints now. its so quick and easy and secure to unlock this way.
Android Pay can only perform a limited number of transactions in dead zones.

To understand why, let's back up and talk about Host Card Emulation, or "HCE." Whenever you make a purchase, a "token" is created, which replaces your real credit card number with a 16-digit dummy number. That way, if there was ever a credit card data breach and your transaction information was exposed, your real account number would be protected.

With Apple Pay, tokens are generated in a chip called the Secure Element. With Android Pay, they're generated in the cloud, which is what Host Card Emulation is. If you're without Internet and need to use Android Pay, the app will tap into a limited number of stored tokens on the device.
(lifted from CNET.com)

So if you're out of tokens, and in a dead zone, your super phone pay system is suddenly useless.

Not good if you're using it on the tube (London underground) and you can't touch out of the station. Had to use a different card and then apply for refunds for 2 incomplete journeys!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants