Expired

Does any here have any experience with taking Amitriptyline?

Found 22nd Oct 2014
Just wondered if any one else here had taken Amitriptyline before?

I've been prescribed it to take to help me with my sleep.

I'm a little worried that its gonna have some adverse affects on me. I'm a fairly big guy anyway, but I do swim 2-4 times a week to keep active. I know the doctor said it acts as a mild anti-depressant as well, which in experience I had an anti-depressant before and gained a fair amount of weight whilst on it.

Anyone with any feedback/experience appreciated.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
23 Comments

Depends on your dosage, I was taking 30-40mg per night but was dreadful the next day, felt like a bad hangover.
I was prescribed it for toothache, it didn't help at all.
Most anti d meds can cause weight gain unfortunately

I have Long-term insomniac who really struggled to get a sleep med that helped. It's incredibly hard to say how it's going to affect you, as we are all different.

I found it put weight on me a bit (quite a well-known side effect), and I felt too hungovery and sluggish in the mornings. I thought it was pretty horrible.

Zolpidem I sleep a refreshed sleep with, but my GP will only prescribe it for a few days.

I finally stayed on, and stuck with, Mirtazipine (15mg). I don't know why, but unmedicated, I find I only "doze" and don't get fully knocked out.

Doctors are understandably reluctant to prescribe any meds long-term but my history has been pretty terrible for the last 20+ years and I think they've decided to leave me to it!

Also, boyf (who has Addisons/Type 1 Diabetes and a few injuries from his past life as an athlete/kamikaze sporty person) gets prescribed Amitriptyline to help with nerve pain and muscle spasms, it seems to work for him.

I have tried things like 5HTP, Melatonin (bought online) to try and help me sleep, to get off prescription meds. Not much luck there, sadly.

I hope you manage to find a solution that works for you.

I imagine if you keep up the activity, Amitriptyline won't affect you too much (re the weight gain).

The worst effect that i have with this is dry mouth. It's used for many type of aliments from depression (original aliment) to nerve pain and cramps. A side effect is tiredness, but this effect doesn't last long, I have been taking 75mg nightly for 4 years and within six months the tiredness effect wore off.

Original Poster

I think my dose is 1 x 25mg tablet a night.

Took my first about 1 hour and a half before I went to bed. I was feeling quite drowsy which was good and I slept better for it as well. I actually woke up today feeling quite refreshed which is unusual lol. I'm not a morning person but I felt quite good througout the day and I feel my appetite this evening is slightly suppressed but I've only had one tablet so I highly doubt it's that but feels good nonetheless.

A dose of 10 -25 mg should do you no harm whatsoever. I'd think you should start on 10mg though. Dry mouth and some possible hangover in the morning which should settle are usual. Give it a go and see how it suits you. It's a well established therapy option

Used it for a couple of years 20mg per night also for insomnia and back pain.... I found it increased my appetite significantly, especially at night, and although I slept better I did feel groggy in the morning. My mood was more even because I had slept better but I also felt kind of demotivated to do anything, so ended up gaining some weight. Eventually stopped taking it because of these side effects, and seem to be sleeping OK on my own now without anything, when my baby lets me that is! good luck.

Argoj

The worst effect that i have with this is dry mouth. It's used for many … The worst effect that i have with this is dry mouth. It's used for many type of aliments from depression (original aliment) to nerve pain and cramps. A side effect is tiredness, but this effect doesn't last long, I have been taking 75mg nightly for 4 years and within six months the tiredness effect wore off.

75mg is quite a lot isnt it? Just wondering because my partner has lower back pain, sciatica, and wondering why his doctor onlt prescribed 10mg a night...

It will probably make you feel a little hungover the next day. It's an old school anti-depressant.

Zopiclone is the best choice for occasional use but it's addictive.

mamof3

Depends on your dosage, I was taking 30-40mg per night but was dreadful … Depends on your dosage, I was taking 30-40mg per night but was dreadful the next day, felt like a bad hangover.I was prescribed it for toothache, it didn't help at all.Most anti d meds can cause weight gain unfortunately

You need a new Doctor if he prescribed that for toothache.

Original Poster

Checked the box it's actually 10mg per tablet.

Will monitor it over 3-4 weeks but it's a low dose so fingers crossed with little amount of side effects

espirit77

75mg is quite a lot isnt it? Just wondering because my partner has lower … 75mg is quite a lot isnt it? Just wondering because my partner has lower back pain, sciatica, and wondering why his doctor onlt prescribed 10mg a night...

I take that at night and 10mg in the morning. The maximum dosage is 100mg daily. I have a degenerative condition and take this for neuropathy and muscle cramps. It may be an old drug but it was by far the most effective for me. We are all different though and it may not be as effective for others.

moob

You need a new Doctor if he prescribed that for toothache.

amitriptyline is used for pain around the temporomandibular (jaw) joint and is quite effective in treatments of toothache , however not in my case.

I've been on Amitryptiline for over a year now, due to the horror that is esophageal spasms (which took several years to diagnose).
It was developed as an anti-depressant (and used at 70mg+ per day), but they don't use it for that any more. It tends to be used in smaller doses just for its side-effects
I take 2 tablets (20mg) a day as it helps with motility issues in the esophagus. It doesn't prevent ES attacks, but it mostly helps prevent them developing into full-on episodes. At that level there is no anti-depressant effect.
Personally, I've experienced no particular side-effects ... Maybe a little weight-gain, but nothing that a bit of exercise wouldn't sort out (if I could be bothered).
Good luck!

I've been on 25mg at night for the last few years for fibromyalgia. I take it at 6pm so that I don't feel hungover the next day. It's definitely caused weight gain & terrible dry mouth, but you need to weigh up the positives & negatives & for me the positives outweigh the negatives. Good luck!

I was on 20mg a night for 2 crushed discs in my spine. I found they helped me sleep but weren't effective at controlling the nerve pain. I'm on gabapentin now and that helps a lot more.

Hi Stephen i was initially put on it on 20mg. I was put on it for various reasons following having my 4th child, suffered extreme anxiety / panic attacks, depression and couldnt sleep. I had tried various others prior which didnt agree with me. I was taking it just before bed and what a mistake that was, i couldnt get up of a morning, i then spoke to a few people who had also had this medication and they told me to take it a couple of hours before going to bed, that way it does its job but you are able to get up of a morning. It helped loads. On 20mg i did have really dry mouth, but recently had to cut it down to 10mg due to being pregnant, and the dry mouth has now gone, and its still doing its job. So 10mg should be fine for you. It took a few days to a week or so to kick in fully, but it will work, and initially i felt a bit odd, and worse but that settled. If you feel wierd, or have any side effects just speak to your GP as he/she knows best.

Edited by: "missgem" 23rd Oct 2014

I too have taken it for fibromyalgia. The side effects i had was tiredness in morning - headache - dry mouth through night- puffy eyes and weight gain. I have stopped taking them due to the side effect - but will probably have to start again due to the cold wintery days and nights.

I have been on it for 2 years for restless leg, type 1 diabetes for 36 years, take 80mg (1 x 10mg 3 times a day and 2 x 25mg at night) no real side affect but works ok for me

mamof3

amitriptyline is used for pain around the temporomandibular (jaw) joint … amitriptyline is used for pain around the temporomandibular (jaw) joint and is quite effective in treatments of toothache , however not in my case.

It's hardly the first line treatment for analgesia. Come on Google Doctor.
Edited by: "moob" 23rd Oct 2014

Original Poster

I think my dose is 1 x 25mg tablet a night.

Took my first about 1 hour and a half before I went to bed. I was feeling quite drowsy which was good and I slept better for it as well. I actually woke up today feeling quite refreshed which is unusual lol. I'm not a morning person but I felt quite good througout the day and I feel my appetite this evening is slightly suppressed but I've only had one tablet so I highly doubt it's that but feels good nonetheless.

I had it prescribed to me about 18 years ago and only 5mg per night to help me sleep after a heart valve replacement as the "clicking" kept me awake, after about 1/2 of taking it I was sleepy but some times I would stay awake but not know what I was doing or saying ! ! Very frightening remember on day talking to my son at breakfast about a film I wanted to see He Just stopped what he was doing and stared at me When I asked what was wrong he said "We watched that last night !" I couldn't remember it I stopped taking them that day
Post a comment
@
    Text