Expired

Does anybody know anything about Carpet / laminate flooring buying / fitting?

14 replies
Found 13th Nov 2009
Hello - just out of curiosity as much as anything else - I recently moved, and need to get new carpet &/or laminate flooring..... The question is - I saw an advert for B&Q claiming to be the cheapest etc and further to that if you find it cheaper they will give you an additional 10% off.....

However, am I right in thinking that they are much of a muchness.. I haven't had to buy this sort of purchase before, and obvioulsy, I am going to have to pay to get it fitted too, so ideally I would like buy it and pay for the fitting from the same place I guess.....

Now Carpetright has gone... I was wondering where to start as much as anything else?

Fanx everso muchly for any tips or suggestions or help.

Cloud the purrring cat

xxxxx

14 Comments

You may have trouble finding it elsewhere t oget the 10% as a lot of B&Q is own brand so you can't buy it anywhere else.

Other than that Wickes are usually good for laminate flooring.

we got our laminate at focus. their own brand and it was really cheap. Did our living room for 88 quid. However, i dont know how big the living room is and youve never visited so you dont know either pmsl..Fitting i think youd have enquire through a carpet shop. same for carpet and i think looking round the smaller private carpet shops might be better you cud haggle them down a bit. Or charm them down in your case lol

Just remember this is going to down for a long time so choose the best flooring you can afford don't buy cheapo flooring. We got the pergo laminate floor not the cheapest but very good quality i also bought the silent step underlay for extra noise control and spring.

Original Poster

Hmmmmmmm??? Some good cmments thjere... Seee I KNEW you lot would know!
I like all of the above vbalid points.... Hadn't quite looked at it that way......
The choice I guess is what is confsing, as in ther seems to be so much of it - but maybe if I could find a local shop that would be worth asking about fitting etc....?

Hmmm thanks everso muchly!!

xxxxxx

Definately recommend a local shop but do shop around. I assume you live in London-Catford, so you should be able to find a lot of good local shops but just taking a drive around the high street. Don't just go for the cheapest laminate/carpet as the idea is that you should not have to change it for at least 10 years, so you would want something to last.
Good luck

Original Poster

Yes - I guess you are right - Laminate flooring all looks the same to me, so how you know one is better than the other - heaven only knows! I would imagine that they can be hard to keep clean too? As in can you wash them (the wood) like vinal etc?

Carpet wise - I will have to have a think.....

Thanks so much!!!!

Shelby25;6877123

Definately recommend a local shop but do shop around. I assume you live … Definately recommend a local shop but do shop around. I assume you live in London-Catford, so you should be able to find a lot of good local shops but just taking a drive around the high street. Don't just go for the cheapest laminate/carpet as the idea is that you should not have to change it for at least 10 years, so you would want something to last.Good luck

I actually took the total opposite view and went for the cheapest as I knew that every 3-4 years you would get fed up of whatever is down. If you go cheap and fit it yourself you can do it extremely cheap (it's really easy to fit it yourself)

Every couple of years you can change the colur then (laminate)

I think if you have a good feel you tell the good from the bad .....laminate lol

Try ikea also , reasonably priced hard wearing, good value.
For your underlay also try this company who supply to all the big carpet fitting companies.

headlam.com/com…asp

Oh and if you have a concrete floored house mind and get a damp course style underlay with a foil barrier.

Save yourself an awful lot of money if you get laminate and fit it yourself. It is easy the hardest part is the cutting and as long as you do not rush it you will be fine. Do not get a stupid laminator saw as they are useless, all they do is stick. I used a jigsaw and masking tape, much better and easier.

:w00t:yes, deffo do it yourself, and remeber to nail/glue the beading edges to the skirting not the laminate coz of movement, and deffo never use furniture polish on it:w00t:

I actually got mine from Tesco, no delivery cost (picked it up at local store) and lucky enough to get a sale price

Original Poster

Thank you soooo much for your comments - i really appreciate all of them.... I would LOVE to fit it myself, and the comment about the beading is a very handy tip!!! The only thing is, whn you mention jig saws and wot not, my fur begins to stand up - as I am HOPELESS with DIY, I really am, and I wonder if I would even know how to use one... Erm, plus I would have to hire it from HSS I guess?
Ooooh - actually there IS a local company that does carpet - I may pop in there and see what they have to say.... The opposite view of buying cheap as it is only going to be down for a few years is an interesting one.... I guess you could get away with the in the areas that don't have much traffic, but in the living room, and stairs it would have to be good quality I guess?
Hmmm - Ikea and Tescos I hadn't thought of!! THanks soooooo much!!!
xxxxxxxxx

Purrrrrrrrrrrrrr- fect I do think!

i had a mid range from b&q an oak laminate 8.99 sq metre, was great was flooded out and got a pergo 29.99 flooring put down. Would not say there is much in it. Fitted the first flooring myself, had the proffessionals for the next. They did not do anything different to how i fitted it. In fact mine was better because i put my skirting boards over the top and did not have the beading. Please glue beading the fitters used a nail gun and made a mess of it, they had to come back and replace it.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition59608
    2. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers11
    3. Win a Fisher-Price Think & Learn Teach 'n tag Movi @ Netmums33
    4. Win a Mama to Bee necklace from Blooming Lovely Jewellery, worth £249! @ Ne…33

See more discussions