Does anybody think this was strange?

31 replies
Found 18th Mar 2009
My wife answered the phone last night and 6.30 and there was a lady selling, double glazing and asked if we were currently looking to change our windows(which we are) as they were in our area. My wife stupidy said yes and made an appointment for them to come on Saturday to measure for a quote. The funny thing is they were asking when she was there for them to come. She unfortunately said we're not there in the day but she's normally home early around 4ish so they could come then. The woman said they won't come if only one of us is there it has to be both of us. She also said there windows are fair trade windows - which I have never heard of. And finally when I googled the company I can not find anybody with their name. I also tried BT and Yell. The number was withheld!

I was really angry with her for making appointment in first place and want to cancel or find out if they are a legit company but have no contact details. Something doesn't quite add up!

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
31 Comments

Probs will get robbed..

They do this to find out when no1 is home.

When Your Not In They Might Come But Not For Your Windows

I do know that they always say that they need both people there so that they can get you to make the decision together. What was the name of the company? I am more worried about you being REALLY ANGRY with your wife for making an appointment...How dare she without your permission lol

Original Poster

vengod;4671187

Probs will get robbed..They do this to find out when no1 is home.

oh please don't say that, thats what I'm scared of, but why would they need to find this out? most people work or are not at home. Why go to such lengths

Original Poster

debbielon;4671194

I do know that they always say that they need both people there so that … I do know that they always say that they need both people there so that they can get you to make the decision together. What was the name of the company? I am more worried about you being REALLY ANGRY with your wife for making an appointment...How dare she without your permission lol

She should no better lol! I would never go with a company that cold calls. If I wanted something I would make first contact!

I am from Shropshire. The firm said they were called Tembertons.

So does saying about 2 people being there make them sound genuine?

I thought there had to be bioth of you there just incase you'r wife said he assulted her!!! Honest that's what I thought LOL

So does saying about 2 people being there make them sound genuine? (dave_lunt3)

I think so!

dave_lunt2;4671207

So does saying about 2 people being there make them sound genuine?

Yes, common tactic with windows.

Original Poster

adp;4671218

I thought there had to be bioth of you there just incase you'r wife said … I thought there had to be bioth of you there just incase you'r wife said he assulted her!!! Honest that's what I thought LOL

thats the impression my wife got on the phone, she said it was to cover themselves if any accusation were made but I'd never heard of that!

Both of you have to be there to sign any agreement. Husbands have blamed wives for being talked into expensive things like double glazing (and I presume wives to husbands too :))

Banned

I'm in the double glazing business, never heard of fair trade. The firm should be Fensa or Certass registered so if you have a name check with these first(both have websites). They should offer a 10 year insurance backed guarantee, windows should be energy rated and glazed with insulating glass ie. Pilkington energikare. You are safer asking friends and family for recommends of firms, we get most of our business thro recommends/ word of mouth, never cold calling.

Original Poster

chester123;4671222

Yes, common tactic with windows.

fingers crossed they're legit then,

thing is if they've already got our phone number they don't even need to speak to us to see when we're out etc, they could just try ringing and if no one answers they could rob the place

Original Poster

goldmax;4671231

I'm in the double glazing business, never heard of fair trade. The firm … I'm in the double glazing business, never heard of fair trade. The firm should be Fensa or Certass registered so if you have a name check with these first(both have websites). They should offer a 10 year insurance backed guarantee, windows should be energy rated and glazed with insulating glass ie. Pilkington energikare. You are safer asking friends and family for recommends of firms, we get most of our business thro recommends/ word of mouth, never cold calling.

I agree, thats what I said to why, I would never go with a cold called, only a local reputable firm. I've tried Fensa already with no luck but will give the other one a shot!

Banned

dave_lunt2;4671197

oh please don't say that, thats what I'm scared of, but why would they … oh please don't say that, thats what I'm scared of, but why would they need to find this out? most people work or are not at home. Why go to such lengths

Do you wanna get butt ****ed in prison? I'd say its definitely worth going to such lengths!

goldmax - great advice - I'm sure OP will appreciate that.

Maybe Goldmax could give you a quote if he is anywhere near Shropshire?

Original Poster

vibeone;4671253

Do you wanna get butt ****ed in prison? I'd say its definitely worth … Do you wanna get butt ****ed in prison? I'd say its definitely worth going to such lengths!goldmax - great advice - I'm sure OP will appreciate that.

yes but no need to speak to us and raise suspicion, they've already got number why not just sit outside and try ringing first!

dave_lunt are you sure it wasnt your bit on the side with a cover story to find out when she the coast is clear so she can come see you again? Either that or your own personal stalker, check the pans on the stoves for rabits.

Original Poster

harlzter;4671275

dave_lunt are you sure it wasnt your bit on the side with a cover story … dave_lunt are you sure it wasnt your bit on the side with a cover story to find out when she the coast is clear so she can come see you again? Either that or your own personal stalker, check the pans on the stoves for rabits.

no I never give my home number out to women and only use hotel rooms at least 30 miles away lol!!

dave_lunt2;4671207

She should no better lol! I would never go with a company that cold … She should no better lol! I would never go with a company that cold calls. If I wanted something I would make first contact! I am from Shropshire. The firm said they were called Tembertons. So does saying about 2 people being there make them sound genuine?

I don't know about making them genuine but I do know that they need both people there. I think they try to get you to both sign at once so you don't have time to change your mind.

check out your rights first if they do turn up, don't forget because they have phoned you and made an appointment your rights have changed you are now inviting them into your home ie ......................

Your Right To Cancel

When you have ordered something from a seller in your own home, such as double glazing, you may be able to cancel the contract if you act quickly. This applies when you pay on credit or by cash from a seller who has called uninvited. If you have such a right, you must be given written notice of it when you sign the contract, otherwise the contract is invalid. If you do not want to go ahead you should cancel quickly.

the reason they want you both present is so they can get an order on the night, they don't want you to say "i'll talk it over with the wife" and get back to you!

whats done is done, if you are really worried have a word with your local police or even a friendly neighbour who can keep an eye on your property.

Well, since she's made the appointment, see if one of you can stay at home on Saturday. Failing that, get a friend or family member to mind your house, so that the cowboys don't rob the place.

Original Poster

The Fox;4671291

check out your rights first if they do turn up, don't forget because they … check out your rights first if they do turn up, don't forget because they have phoned you and made an appointment your rights have changed you are now inviting them into your home ie ......................Your Right To CancelWhen you have ordered something from a seller in your own home, such as double glazing, you may be able to cancel the contract if you act quickly. This applies when you pay on credit or by cash from a seller who has called uninvited. If you have such a right, you must be given written notice of it when you sign the contract, otherwise the contract is invalid. If you do not want to go ahead you should cancel quickly.the reason they want you both present is so they can get an order on the night, they don't want you to say "i'll talk it over with the wife" and get back to you!whats done is done, if you are really worried have a word with your local police or even a friendly neighbour who can keep an eye on your property.

Thanks for this advice The Fox, good sound advice! We certainly won't be using them so will make sure we stand our ground if they do turn up. I take it they're going to be pushy!

Our neighbour is at home allday and always nosing around so hopefully that'll help and our home is secure. Thanks again

Sales don't need two signatures.That's not the reason.It's so that they can pile on the pressure without you having a get-out excuse - "i will have to speak to the wife and get back to you".They always want a decision there and then.

Original Poster

she did say the quote is valid for 12 months but I think thats just for us to agree to let them come

You have a few days to prepare.

You need some toys, some paint pots on string, an electic heater on a door knob, nail on the stairs, we'll stop em!

Original Poster

Titchimp;4671395

You have a few days to prepare. You need some toys, some paint pots on … You have a few days to prepare. You need some toys, some paint pots on string, an electic heater on a door knob, nail on the stairs, we'll stop em!

home alone style!

dave_lunt2;4671398

home alone style!

Now i know you are a movie buff.

Don't forget an escape route. I suggest a rob from the roof and a coathanger.

koppyking;4671370

Sales don't need two signatures.That's not the reason.It's so that they … Sales don't need two signatures.That's not the reason.It's so that they can pile on the pressure without you having a get-out excuse - "i will have to speak to the wife and get back to you".They always want a decision there and then.

Thats so true, when i worked in a kitchen showroom I had to get both parties there. If they both werent there the designer wouldnt go because he knew they wouldnt buy it. Most people if left to think will change there minds later on, thats why its important to have both parties there, as they need that signiture on the contract.

Its all to do with the hard sell.

Theyll start off at 10k, drop the price to 8k if you buy it there and then. He'll try to get you to sign and say the offer is only good for that day. If hes a good sales man he'll make the offer sound so good, you panic into thinking your gonna lose this big discount, which in 9 times out of 10 doesnt exsist in the first place the price was always 8k anyway.

Its a big con trust me, all companies do this.

Its quite shocking how many people actually fall for this sales tactic, and dont even start on 50% off and the likes. Its another con.

So does saying about 2 people being there make them sound genuine?[/QUOTE]

we had Everest-and they would only come when we were both home-i think this is normal practice-they try to get you to sign up straight away and push on the special offers on the day-and if only one of you is home you would always say i need to see what my partner thinks etc-its easier for them to convince the two of you together:thumbsup:

dave_lunt2;4671388

she did say the quote is valid for 12 months but I think thats just for … she did say the quote is valid for 12 months but I think thats just for us to agree to let them come

No thats how long they will sit in your sitting room until you agree to buy the windows

Yoy might also want to sign up to ]this, will stop most calls from double glazing companys` etc.

id buy a house alarm if I was you.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Why was the deal I just posted removed?78
    2. Foo fighters presale code.109
    3. Advice on a cheaper hand held vacuum please.33
    4. Lost snipping tool on windows 10 laptop48

See more discussions