Does anybody use purina one cat food

Found 11th May 2012
Does anybody use purina one cat food and is it any good?
thanks
Community Updates
23 Comments
Banned
Nope, you will be the first person ever. Do update and let us all know how you got on.
I don't like the taste, I only eat Whiskers now.
Banned
Alistair1234

I don't like the taste, I only eat Whiskers now.

Whiskers from which animal?
my previous cat didn't like and preferred Purina pro-plan over it.. but- it doesnt have a high meat content and is mostly other filler rubbish to make up for it.

The best type you can buy within budget and on the high st is probably Applaws (high meat content)
No, as samwants2save says, its full of fillers. Hilife is another good one with high meat content and Tesco luxury pouches, also nutricat dry food has quite a high meat content for a cheaper brand. Just take a look at the ingredients, anything with 4% is pretty rubbish, all the ones Ive mentioned above have 50% or more.
I have just had a ton of Purina one delivered in Adult Chicken flavour for her to try. I also have a lot of vouchers for money off their products to give out to friends and family who have cats so they can try it too. Trouble is said cat hasn't been back in for any food so she must be off with her new fella bless her! She is 15 tho so needs to take it easy.....
The blurb says she will be much healthier with a shiny coat so here's hoping it works....
Well if it's free......... did you get the nutricat too by any chance? Or is it a different survey company.
If you go to B&M stores, Just Pilchards is 39p a can. Everybody who i've recommended it to says there cats love it, and my cat goes crazy for it! Plus he gives me love (no, not like that) afterwards.
Banned
purina is awful for cats like nearly all supermarket cat food. Dont believe the blurb!
Edited by: "csiman" 12th May 2012
My cat eats anything.

The first food I bought her when we got her was Purina for housecats. It is supposed to make their mess low in odour. Wrong. Purina made her poo stink to high heaven. I buy different food each time but Purina made her poo the most smelliest, putrid aroma, ever.

petsathome.com/sho…805
Banned
funny.onion

My cat eats anything.The first food I bought her when we got her was … My cat eats anything.The first food I bought her when we got her was Purina for housecats. It is supposed to make their mess low in odour. Wrong. Purina made her poo stink to high heaven. I buy different food each time but Purina made her poo the most smelliest, putrid aroma, ever.http://www.petsathome.com/shop/proplan-adult-complete-cat-food-for-house-cats-with-chicken-and-rice-3kg-14805

no offence but that food link is seriously poor value being only 20% meat content at high end pricing. Aim for 40-50% meat content. Cats get zero nutrition from rice & maize.

wet food = smilla is great value at £2 per kg

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/smilla/smilla_saver_packs/153602

dry food = acana (similar price to that pro plan food but twice the meat / fish content)

used to feed our 2 cats (age 16 and 20) royal canin till we realised how crap it was. Since being on the above, they are far more active and healthier.

zooplus.co.uk/pic…pdf

Edited by: "csiman" 12th May 2012
Banned
funny.onion

My cat eats anything.The first food I bought her when we got her was … My cat eats anything.The first food I bought her when we got her was Purina for housecats. It is supposed to make their mess low in odour. Wrong. Purina made her poo stink to high heaven. I buy different food each time but Purina made her poo the most smelliest, putrid aroma, ever.http://www.petsathome.com/shop/proplan-adult-complete-cat-food-for-house-cats-with-chicken-and-rice-3kg-14805

Proplan???
You're like the catty version of BG1.
My oh has done her veterinary exams and was taught that dry is better. Teeth one reason but cannot remember others.
We have a cat water fountain that they love and they drink plenty. The good is the property royal canin veterinary range not the pets at home cheap royal canin range. Supplement with bits of fish, meat etc from us.
Most wet food is the equivalent of McDonalds for your cat. And cat poo smells twice as bad if they had
Tinned food.
That said, it may be hard to get your cat on dry food if they always had wet.
Banned
smashed

My oh was taught that dry is better.

Fnar fnar.
Did I miss something? Half the posters are banned and I just got a rude post (see below), from whatsThePoint accusing me of spouting rubbish just because he read something on the web. Did things get heated or???
I did not reply as I thought it was rather uncalled for. I will tell the wife that she can ask whatsThePoint for veterinary learning from now on.. But not for manners...

what a shame you oh hasn't learnt anything about the well being of cats while trainingthere is growing evidence that dry cat food is killing more and more cats because it is totally unsuitable for themdry food is mostly highly processed grain and as everyone knows processed food is the worst you can eat if your human, what so what makes you think its suitable for cats that weren't even designed to eat grain in the first placeand guess who spends millions on propaganda at vet schools, thats right dry food manufacturers so no wonder your oh is so far out on whats best for a catbut don't take my word for itcatinfo.org/so in the future please don't endanger anymore animals by spouting off about something you and your oh know nothing about
Banned
[quote=smashed]Did I miss something? Half the posters are banned and I just got a rude post (see below), from whatsThePoint accusing me of spouting rubbish just because he read something on the web. Did things get heated or???
I did not reply as I thought it was rather uncalled for. I will tell the wife that she can ask whatsThePoint for veterinary learning from now on.. But not for manners...

what a shame you oh hasn't learnt anything about the well being of cats while trainingthere is growing evidence that dry cat food is killing more and more cats because it is totally unsuitable for themdry food is mostly highly processed grain and as everyone knows processed food is the worst you can eat if your human, what so what makes you think its suitable for cats that weren't even designed to eat grain in the first placeand guess who spends millions on propaganda at vet schools, thats right dry food manufacturers so no wonder your oh is so far out on whats best for a catbut don't take my word for itcatinfo.org/so in the future please don't endanger anymore animals by spouting off about something you and your oh know nothing about[/quote]
smashed again? oO
Eh? That was the pm I received. I am endangering my cats apparently.
whatsThePoint

pointing out your an idiot isn't being rude ask tomwatts what the … pointing out your an idiot isn't being rude ask tomwatts what the practicing vet said killed his cat and is leading to the deaths of many othersalso does eating pretzels clean your teeth?so what makes you think dry food is better for a cats teeth X)yet again its more propaganda that you have fallen for

Sending a PM like that IS RUDE. Try posting on the thread like every other person. Do you abuse other people in PM's if you don't agree with them?

re TomWatts//Ask other vets and they will tell you something different. Most wet food is pure rubbish in a tin. I feed dry with regular fresh meat/fish 3 times a week (chicken,turkey,tuna,cod, etc etc). Yes some cats will be susceptable to things if they are fed dry, but then others will have the same issues if fed dry. Balance is key. It is the same as some humans getting ill from too much red meat, others from too much fat, others from this others from that.

You are very blinkered. Do you not see that studies that say the opposite are also propaganda.
It is more about the quality of the content to me than whether it is wet or dry.

Royal Canin Veterinary Range dry food with regular fresh natural meat / fish is sure to be better than wet food from a tin. (unless you are feeding them pure tuna or something healthy like that)

Believe what you want, just don't bother sending me private messages, thanks (ThatsThePoint)
lol whiny little pms
shyness is not what id have expected from whatsthepoint
dont usually feel shy to post anything so why not let others 'benefit from wisdom' rather than whining to one guy over pm
over half my pms are from whiners and it gets boring
To clarify,... The best diet is whatever you eat in the wild.

I guess humans should stop bothering with science then. Humans eat different things in different areas of the planet. Same for cats.

So all natural diets are equal? Do you know anything about life expectancy for different countries? I guess people should stop taking supplements etc.

if people can improve diets with science and dry food then surely you can see that the same is true for other animals even if they mostly eat meat in the wild?
I would prefer to eat cat biscuits than whiskas tinned food. You think it is quality meat in tinned cat food???
Don't get me wrong, plenty of dry good is rubbish, as is plenty of wet cat food.
That is why I buy the proper veterinary range you cannot buy in shops and supplement it with fresh proper meat.
I don't doubt it. But I would probably say the same for ASDA ready meals (no wouldnt eat them either).

I could never keep down tinned cat food, it stinks. I would have a chance with the biscuits .

Edited by: "smashed" 13th Jun 2012
Banned
smashed

I don't doubt it. But I would probably say the same for ASDA ready meals … I don't doubt it. But I would probably say the same for ASDA ready meals (no wouldnt eat them either).I could never keep down tinned cat food, it stinks. I would have a chance with the biscuits .

I find only the poor quality wet food stinks. Besides, a 200g tin is gone in 1 sitting so it doesnt smell at all
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions