Groups

Does anyone drive a Mazda RX-8 ....?

If so, what are they like?

What sort of engines, spec, cost, known problems etc......

Currently have a Honda Civic Type R, but looking for a change.

11 Comments

My husband really fancied owning an RX-8. but he was really disapointed when he test drove it and ended up buying a BMW z3. This was a couple of years ago though.

Very nice cars, The current model got good reviews when it came out. I've never drove one or anything but I quite like them and Mazda are known to be pretty reliable.

i dont have one but I know the fuel consumption is really high

wankle engine uses loads of oil.....& petrol !!!!

Original Poster

ding;2601347

try this ]http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/mazda/rx-8-2003.aspx

Cheers, just reading up on reviews and stuff, good reviews overall but re-sale value isnt very good and seems a very thirsty car.....2 big factors in my opinion when buying a car.

I'm not convinced so far.... :thinking:

Also theres a problem with the wankle engine, if you stall it when the engine is cold then it needs to be taken to a garage on a tow truck to get the engined drained as the petrol will not evaporate as the engine is cold and obviously the engine doesnt work in the same fasion as a normal petrol engine.

I used to sell RX-8's...

If you're over 6ft, don't bother, you won't fit in and you look like a burk. ( I'm 6ft 3 )

The wankle engine is a nice runner and gives good acceleration.

The handling's ok, but cos I was too tall it was a nightmare.

The back seats will fit your handbag in, but don't bother trying to fit adults in there. Though the suicide doors are a talking point.

All in all, it's a nice car for a hairdresser or a dwarf with a mid-life crisis...

:-)

Original Poster

baconinabap;2601795

I used to sell RX-8's...If you're over 6ft, don't bother, you won't fit … I used to sell RX-8's...If you're over 6ft, don't bother, you won't fit in and you look like a burk. ( I'm 6ft 3 )The wankle engine is a nice runner and gives good acceleration.The handling's ok, but cos I was too tall it was a nightmare.The back seats will fit your handbag in, but don't bother trying to fit adults in there. Though the suicide doors are a talking point.All in all, it's a nice car for a hairdresser or a dwarf with a mid-life crisis...:-)

Hmmm.....Will still give one a test drive but starting to move off the idea now......

Really high fuel consumption - around 23mpg average plus it will be in the highest road tax band in the next couple of years so that's another £400+ outlay. It's also not that much faster than your existing CTR, but rear wheel drive will mean better handling.

Original Poster

Oh well, have just gone and ordered a new Civic Type R GT.....

But thanks for the replies.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17866384
      2. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 188 ***1630
      3. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would28104
      4. It is a Yorkshire pudding wrap.1116

See more discussions