Expired

Does anyone else have problems with buffering on Virgin 50Mb Broadband?

Found 14th May 2014
I was quite happy with the speeds of Virgin, I only signed up a couple of months ago on their 50Mb package.

However lately I have been watching catchup on the second laptop and find that almost every program stops every few minutes for about 3 seconds while it buffers.

I assumed in todays market with the speeds that we get that buffering would be a thing of the past. It does not matter what time of day it is, early hours, during the day or evenings, I still get the odd buffering during programs.

I have checked my speeds on various speed test programs and all come out above 50mb download.

I tend to watch ITV Catchup and 4OD.

Does anyone else have this kind of problem?

The buffering is not really bad, but it does happen for a few seconds every few minutes, sometimes it may go 15-20 minutes but mostly within 5 minutes it does it, I was wondering if it may be a common problem with catch-up tv?

It is connected via ethernet so it is not the wi-fi that is the problem.
Community Updates
AskBroadbandMovieVirgin
27 Comments
its a known problem with virgin, especially if watching long youtube videos
Original Poster
Yeah it does it on Youtube as well, pretty badly to be honest.

This is pathetic, the whole idea of fast broadband is so you can stream flawlessly.
Banned
Same here, I blame this...
http://i62.tinypic.com/344bkp1.jpg
This used to happen with us when we had the super hub 1 and we had to use an Ethernet cable for direct internet access for both the laptop and xbox. I called virgin to complain and we got upgraded to the super hub 2, the wireless is much better we can have the laptop, playstation and two phones all connected and downloading stuff at the same time. Maybe worth giving them a call?
I have the same problem , will see if anyone can help you
Original Poster
I am on the superhub 2 and wireless seems fine. The laptop is connected via ethernet and it still buffers. It is not so bad that it is unwatchable but it does it every few minutes for a few seconds which surely should not happen with 50mb download speeds.
Banned
Perhaps an upgrade from the budget service is necessary ?
Original Poster
Musician

Perhaps an upgrade from the budget service is necessary ?

You are kidding right?

My dad has BT over the phone, copper, not fibre or anything and he gets less than 20mb and when I go there I can stream perfectly.

50mb is 50mb, nothing should ever buffer on ITV player or 4OD at those speeds. Even Youtube 420p buffers. Totally unacceptable.

Banned
I got 100mb virgin, and can stream HD on 4 or 5 devices around the house at a time with no buffering. Maybe it's because most people on virgin have 100 or 152 service and if their all using it, it may lag u up. Maybe it's your internal network. Does it do it at 4:25am ?
I don't have any problems myself. I am on the 100mb tho.

The only streaming I do however is YouTube and netflix
I'm on 50 without any issues
If you ever want to cancel without a cancellation charge, tell them about the virgin media cache servers and the advert with usain bolt in it saying "Bye Bye to buffering"
i don't stream that often, but when i do, it's normally on 4OD and i've never really had much of a problem.
sometimes other tasks may also be running, using 13mb/s bandwidth and it's still never stuttered playback.
superhub 2/120mb
i have to say that the wireless does have the odd quirk, but generally it's pretty reliable.
is it the same device you're testing at home and at your dad's?
have VM 60mb, steam via wifi and cable on xbox, ipad, ipod and blackberry and no issues. Using SH2.
Original Poster
Yes I have used the same device, I take my laptop over to my dads. But at present I am using a second laptop to watch TV on. It is an old Celeron jobby, did not think it would struggle with 4OD and ITV player in it's small window, I don't even make it full screen.

Will give it a good go with my current laptop again to see if it buffers with this one.
Could be your anti virus
Try turning off your anti virus temporarily and see if you still get it. I had this problem with Kaspersky and it limiting my broadband speed to 3mb as ut tried to check all incoming data l. I had to disable active scanning if memory serves
Banned
Maybe someone is surfing pr0n at the same time you're streaming youtube ?
Original Poster
Musician

Maybe someone is surfing pr0n at the same time you're streaming youtube ?

Yeah, that will be me. But I want both.
Banned
NEtech

Yeah, that will be me. But I want both.

lol, not much you can say to that.
Virgin media broadband is terrible for buffering,I have there top of the line broadband and am sick to death of the buffering.if you ring up you can never get a straight ans from anyone,plus if you ring up at the weekend you get put through to foreign call centre who are totally unhelpful.been with virgin since the blueyonder days and am seriously thinking of moving away .
Original Poster
Frew1965

Virgin media broadband is terrible for buffering,I have there top of the … Virgin media broadband is terrible for buffering,I have there top of the line broadband and am sick to death of the buffering.if you ring up you can never get a straight ans from anyone,plus if you ring up at the weekend you get put through to foreign call centre who are totally unhelpful.been with virgin since the blueyonder days and am seriously thinking of moving away .

I upgraded to 200mb and it is still the same. Even worse when downloading on one PC and trying to watch iPlayer on the main PC. Gonna invest in a new router I think.
Edited by: "NEtech" 17th Jan 2016
NEtech

I upgraded to 200mb and it is still the same. Even worse when … I upgraded to 200mb and it is still the same. Even worse when downloading on one PC and trying to watch iPlayer on the main PC. Gonna invest in a new router I think.

Couple of things to first, give them a call and ask for a senior engineer to come out, they will fix it for you unless you are in a majorly oversubscribed area. The other thing is to make sure you have a device that can take the speed you have on wifi, most devices can't with the exception of the most modern iPads and tech and to of the range laptops PCs.
Original Poster
eslick

Couple of things to first, give them a call and ask for a senior engineer … Couple of things to first, give them a call and ask for a senior engineer to come out, they will fix it for you unless you are in a majorly oversubscribed area. The other thing is to make sure you have a device that can take the speed you have on wifi, most devices can't with the exception of the most modern iPads and tech and to of the range laptops PCs.

Main PC is gigabit Ehternet and that slows to a crawl when downloading on the laptop upstairs. Not bothered about the speed of the laptop as I just leave that to do its downloads but the main computer should never be slowing to a crawl just because the laptop is downloading a few movies. Will just try a new router and stick the Superhub in modem mode and see how that fairs.
I have the same issue. Terrible buffering. I've installed a Firestick and that is as bad so it ain't the TV like I thought. Poor Virgin bandwidth I'm afraid. Will be switching soon.
I found I was only getting 30Mb on a 100Mb connection by doing a speed test on WIFI. To get full speed you would need to change the settings in the router settings to enable 5ghz frequency and also ensure your laptop or PC has a Dual band enabled card.
Original Poster
over the last few months I have cancelled the phone line and on 200mb connection. Don't have any issues now and still using the old Superhub 2.

Think they must check that I am a mug and pay over the odds so let the bandwidth flow.....should I be happy as everything now is fine, or sad because I only order BBN from them and feel I am paying a little over the odds.
Edited by: "NEtech" 3rd Jun 2016
50mb package will get you tops 30 mb on speed check. They should advertise actual or minimum speed.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions