Does anyone have a list of argos stores?

I'm trying to write a script that will automate the process of checking all the argos stores to see if a specific item is in stock. To do this I basically need a list of all the postcodes of all the Argos stores - was wondering if anyone had access to such a thing (maybe a staff member?) or knew of one or could think of a way of compiling one easily?

*Ideally* I'd also have the names and locations of the stores as well (grid reference or long/lat) but the postcodes are the most important thing... Any ideas?

17 Comments

try ]yell.com for a list of 100

Original Poster

Really need a list as I just want the postcodes for each store - tried to automate extracting the details using that store locator but its proving a bit difficult/time consuming...

could you adopt this for the pc world/ currys .97 deals? if it helps my nearest store is SR8 1AJ

Original Poster

PapaSmurf;1912902

try ]yell.com for a list of 100

Excellent, thats a great start. Thanks :thumbsup:

jah128;1912907

Really need a list as I just want the postcodes for each store - tried to … Really need a list as I just want the postcodes for each store - tried to automate extracting the details using that store locator but its proving a bit difficult/time consuming...

it gives you a list of 100 stores, with full addresses and postcodes, exactly what you are looking for

Try calling them and asking? Maybe a long shot, but the simplest answers are usually the best.

Original Poster

guerilla;1912918

could you adopt this for the pc world/ currys .97 deals? if it helps my … could you adopt this for the pc world/ currys .97 deals? if it helps my nearest store is SR8 1AJ

Absolutely, been playing with 'iMacros' for firefox - it looks so useful, can think of numerous possible uses it would have on HUKD...

I've got it set up so I can automatically search a list of about 10 stores near me at the moment and tell me which ones have a particular item in stock, just need to tweak it a bit...

Would be great to have a complete list of stores with grid-ref, then I reckon you could make a pretty reliable script where the user enters their own postcode and the item they want and the script iteratively searches out until it finds a store with the item in stock - failing that, a script which simply searches every store would be great for certain deals (thinking Sony MP3 player here ;-))

All the adresses are in the back ot the catalogue if I remember correctly!

cuzzy;1912940

All the adresses are in the back ot the catalogue if I remember correctly!

Yeh they used to be,I not picked up a catalogue in years as no point when I can see online.

They have the postcodes ]here Unfortunately there's 599 stores and you'd need to click on next page for more stores...its the closest I could come to postcodes in one place

Original Poster

thesaint;1912932

Try calling them and asking? Maybe a long shot, but the simplest answers … Try calling them and asking? Maybe a long shot, but the simplest answers are usually the best.

Could do, might pop in to a store later, but I reckon they would just direct me to the list in the back of the catalogue (it lists the stores and numbers but not postcodes...)

jah128;1912933

Absolutely, been playing with 'iMacros' for firefox - it looks so useful, … Absolutely, been playing with 'iMacros' for firefox - it looks so useful, can think of numerous possible uses it would have on HUKD...I've got it set up so I can automatically search a list of about 10 stores near me at the moment and tell me which ones have a particular item in stock, just need to tweak it a bit... Would be great to have a complete list of stores with grid-ref, then I reckon you could make a pretty reliable script where the user enters their own postcode and the item they want and the script iteratively searches out until it finds a store with the item in stock - failing that, a script which simply searches every store would be great for certain deals (thinking Sony MP3 player here ;-))

sounds good, would eliminate lot of the pcworld deals that dont really exist as well. looked at the 'imacros' thing, looks a bit complicated for me. the most ive been able to do with firefox is mod a script so that ive got a quidco search in my top right hand box

Original Poster

chesso;1912924

https://secure.argoscareers.com/retail/storefinder/results.html

Thanks (and postcard too!) That looks probably the best, should be able to extract what I need from that.:thumbsup:

Thanks all

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii78/chesso_photos/argos.jpg
I have no idea why the link I first posted doesn't work.

Also....what about using satnav data? I'm sure I had Argos POIs which would have postcodes linked to their location? Maybe find a way to extract that?

EDIT: Just had a look at the POI's. They're based on the long/lat co-ordinates so wouldnt work...unless you know how to convert these to postcodes! lol

Original Poster

PapaSmurf;1912931

it gives you a list of 100 stores, with full addresses and postcodes, … it gives you a list of 100 stores, with full addresses and postcodes, exactly what you are looking for

Sorry :lol: I was replying to the original link you had to the store-locator! This thread was moving much faster than I expected :thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread417214139
    2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …3331195
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764588
    4. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…56

See more discussions