does anyone have a water meter fitted

33 replies
Found 15th Feb 2011
need some info plz

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
33 Comments

Think you'll have to specify what info you want?

Computer
Fish tank
Pee bag
House meter

What info...... Another pointless thread.

oh dear,

Yes we do. What do you want to know.

norfolk_enchance does not, but I do & so what do you need to know.

I know that when I had one and there was 2 adults and 2 children,I was paying double a mth what my Mum was paying on standing order.I was only doing full wash loads,taking showers,didn't have anything like a hose pipe.
The house I'm renting now the standing order is about £5 less a mth than my Mum pays now,so the standing orders all vary. I don't like water meters for families,ok for people just on their own.

I think they trying to get everyone with them soon.

I have two, one is brass, one is silver

HTH

Mum2ConnornCerys

I know that when I had one and there was 2 adults and 2 children,I was … I know that when I had one and there was 2 adults and 2 children,I was paying double a mth what my Mum was paying on standing order.I was only doing full wash loads,taking showers,didn't have anything like a hose pipe. The house I'm renting now the standing order is about £5 less a mth than my Mum pays now,so the standing orders all vary. I don't like water meters for families,ok for people just on their own. I think they trying to get everyone with them soon.

I don't think we have Water meters in Scotland,thank god.

We dont have one but a girl i used to work with had one and it got that bad that they only flushed the loo after a number 2 and share bath water and only do dishes once a day oO
Edited by: "shopstilldrops" 15th Feb 2011

Original Poster

ok had mine fitted yest u get 4 numbers is little black boxes and they r ur litres that u use (if i am correct) it said i used 120 for a shower is that right
also the dial keeps going round when we r not using and water
so to now black boxes say we have used 235 (litres since yest at 16.00pm) is this right thx for ur help

Why was a water meter fitted yesterday ? Did you have a choice ?

Original Poster

yes were was going for cheaper option kids at school all day hols few times a yr

cookjackie

yes were was going for cheaper option kids at school all day hols few … yes were was going for cheaper option kids at school all day hols few times a yr

oh i see , tbh ive never heard anyone say having a meter was a cheaper option , ecpecially for families , okay if your on your own and at work all day or elderly but not with kids , can you not swap back ?

Original Poster

yes we have upto 13months to change back

We have found our cheaper. Our neighbours pay £46 pm standard charge we pay £22 on a meter. I am sure that when u 1st get it fitted they give u 12 months if u are not happy u can have it taken out. After 12 months u are stuck with it
Edited by: "alfie73" 15th Feb 2011

Original Poster

no only got it yest

Well thats not to bad if you have the choice to swap back, i would give it a couple of months and see if there is a big difference in price and then see dont forget to consider summer though as we use a lot more then with filling the kids big pool and usung a water slide and hosepipe more .

They dont take the meter out, you just go back to standard price. The meter remains there and the next person to move in has no choice but to have the meter. Thats how I understand it anyway.

My sister is on a meter and im glad im not, id hate to have to worry about much the bill was going to be. At least on a standard price you know where you are with it.

I don't think it'll be long before we'll all have them. They've been trying to force them on us for years as another way for the greedy utility companies to screw us.

Government considers introducing compulsory water meters

Brits could have to install a water meter if plans being considered by the government are given the go-ahead.
A proposal to make water meters compulsory will be unveiled by the environment minister Caroline Spelman, in an effort to introduce more fairness in the way Brits are charged for water.

Currently, the system is regarded as unfair as it bears no relation to how much water a household uses. In addition, prices differ between different companies, leading to differences across the country.

An independent review by Anna Walker, the chairman of the Office of Rail Regulation, revealed "significant and growing concerns" in the way people currently pay for water, and encouraged water meters to introduce fairness in the system.

It also said that introducing water meters would encourage better efficiency.

But some worry that the new plans could put a burden on vulnerable people, such as the elderly, large families and those who rely on water for their work, for example gardeners.

Without water meters, household water use is calculated based on a rateable value of the property.

It's great living in Scotland with own Parliament lol.

cookjackie

yes were was going for cheaper option kids at school all day hols few … yes were was going for cheaper option kids at school all day hols few times a yr

failed,get it removed if you can meters suit water board not the customer.

I exchange my 3 bedroom house to a bungalow with a meter my bills are under half (am on my own) the family i exchange with are now without meter and are also better off. Some of us like them ,never if you have a family.

If I remember and it's going back well over 18mths now,I used to get billed quartely and each one would be about £60 a time. I would pay 2 seperate water companies,1 for drinking water and 1 for waste water sewerage so £120 every 3 mths worked out about £40 a mth.

Banned

Mum2ConnornCerys

I know that when I had one and there was 2 adults and 2 children,I was … I know that when I had one and there was 2 adults and 2 children,I was paying double a mth what my Mum was paying on standing order.I was only doing full wash loads,taking showers,didn't have anything like a hose pipe.The house I'm renting now the standing order is about £5 less a mth than my Mum pays now,so the standing orders all vary. I don't like water meters for families,ok for people just on their own. I think they trying to get everyone with them soon.

They are so expensive

Banned

WheresMeNuts

It's great living in Scotland with own Parliament lol.

I don't mind paying extra to live in england

Banned

Mum2ConnornCerys

If I remember and it's going back well over 18mths now,I used to get … If I remember and it's going back well over 18mths now,I used to get billed quartely and each one would be about £60 a time. I would pay 2 seperate water companies,1 for drinking water and 1 for waste water sewerage so £120 every 3 mths worked out about £40 a mth.

Paying by monthly direct debit gives you £5 off per year x x

WheresMeNuts

norfolk_enchance does not, but I do & so what do you need to know.

Err yes we do! We paid £45 a month standing charge and we now pay roughly £20 a month with meter. Much better (and cheaper) on meter. 2 adults and 1 child, not trying to save water either, just doing everything we would normally do.

Banned

saved 50% by having a meter fitted (2 adults)

pay £28 pcm for 4 bed detached

Our meter is cheaper than the standard rate, and my wife seems to spend an hour a day in the shower, so It's not like we try and save it

We find a meter much cheaper even with 4 adults in the house and endless showers, baths, dishwasher and washing machine on all the time. I think it might depend on the value of your property though - if it is a lot and based on a high rateable value then it may be cheaper with a meter.

cookjackie

ok had mine fitted yest u get 4 numbers is little black boxes and they r … ok had mine fitted yest u get 4 numbers is little black boxes and they r ur litres that u use (if i am correct) it said i used 120 for a shower is that right also the dial keeps going round when we r not using and water so to now black boxes say we have used 235 (litres since yest at 16.00pm) is this right thx for ur help

my mate had one fitted & had a similar problem with the dial still moving when all the water was off, he traced it to his toilet, it was over flowing, but the new toilets direct it back into the bowl. try isolating that to see if it makes any difference.

also I thought the government were trying to get these fitted to all properties at some point.

Had the survey last week, getting a meter installed in the next month or two, can't wait
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Hope of a cure for asthma711
    2. Happy Bandi Chorr Diwas and Happy Diwali!1011
    3. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…2653
    4. Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland2047

See more discussions