Does anyone have any recommendations for flooring when building an open plan extension?

Found 4th May
We we're thinking wood effect vinyl but poss real wood wood be warmer under foot etc

Any suggestions appreciated
Community Updates
AskDIY
11 Comments
Seriously; consider putting in UFCH and use Amtico/Kandean. It isn't the cheap option but it solves a lot of problems. The amount of sub floor insulation required by BR now greatly reduces the problem of cold floors anyway.
Vinyl doesn’t last very long, it looks shiny, is slippery with socks and is cheaper to buy. You’ll have to get underfloor heating as without it is uncomfortably cold. Also with no underfloor heating the vinyl tends to shrink and expand and break up.

Real wood looks better and is all one type or fibre so holds together well in cold and hot weather, lasts as long as a tree, feels better on bare foot and is warmer. It costs more.
ccnp1 h, 58 m ago

Seriously; consider putting in UFCH and use Amtico/Kandean. It isn't the …Seriously; consider putting in UFCH and use Amtico/Kandean. It isn't the cheap option but it solves a lot of problems. The amount of sub floor insulation required by BR now greatly reduces the problem of cold floors anyway.

Kandean has a temp limit for UFCH so do your research before you go that route. when I spoke to a supplier, the UFCH temp cant be more than 25 degrees otherwise it affects the kandean.
What's kandean?
I think that should be Karndean
My mother in law has Kardean in her conservatory/kitchen with no under floor heating , subject to hot and cold temps with no problem.
Is it just fancy lino?
No it' a lot harder wearing. Also if you damage a tile you can replace it.
Caant see prices on site ,?
We have engineered cherry wood in a large extension, warmish underfoot and still looks great after 10 years of service.
Engineer Ed wood seems nice but quite bexpendive
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants