Does anyone here have BT FTTH broadband?

Posted 1st Jul
Good morning

I'm due to have bt fibre to the home installed this week and had a quick question regarding the installation. My current setup is the bt filter is in spare room and I run the phone cable to my bt router in another room.

how is the new fibre installed? is it just a ethernet cable from the new box or is there a different type of cable from the box to your pc?

thanks
Community Updates
Ask
29 Comments
Yeah I do, got it installed around 3 weeks ago.

They fit a new box (ONT) to the wall that the fibre cable runs directly into, from there you plug in an ethernet cable to your router.

They may have relaxed the rules but they stipulated with the COVID situation that they would only fit into a ground floor room (not a bedroom unless you live in a bungalow or ground floor flat). But ultimately it is up to the engineer, he was pretty fair with me, initially they wanted to staple the fibre cable along my skirting board but asked him to make the run along the wall outside rather than inside and he was fine. The only thing needed is where the ONT is installed there must be a power socket.
Edited by: "mds1256" 1st Jul
It's optical fibre from the street into your house, which connects to an ONT (Optical network terminator)

The output from the ONT is via ethernet to a router.
BT install a openreach modem in your house (google for pics).
It is normally installed at the front of the house, on the inside of the external wall.
The modem then is wired to your hub (wire provided by BT with the hub).
Your hub also backs up as your phone socket if you have a digital voice line, (or you may keep your phoneline on the normal master socket if you have a copper line running to your home).
mds125601/07/2020 09:38

Yeah I do, got it installed around 3 weeks ago.They fit a new box (ONT) to …Yeah I do, got it installed around 3 weeks ago.They fit a new box (ONT) to the wall that the fibre cable runs directly into, from there you plug in an ethernet cable to your router.They may have relaxed the rules but they stipulated with the COVID situation that they would only fit into a ground floor room (not a bedroom unless you live in a bungalow or ground floor flat). But ultimately it is up to the engineer, he was pretty fair with me, initially they wanted to staple the fibre cable along my skirting board but asked him to make the run along the wall outside rather than inside and he was fine. The only thing needed is where the ONT is installed there must be a power socket.

I was hoping he would install it at the back of my house. Problem is the cable runs to the front of my house currently. The engineer had already said he will put it upstairs so I don't need to run powerlines.

So to clarify. They put that new big white box in, then its just a standard ethernet cable from that box to your computer?

Thanks
KingNav36001/07/2020 09:40

BT install a openreach modem in your house (google for pics). It is …BT install a openreach modem in your house (google for pics). It is normally installed at the front of the house, on the inside of the external wall. The modem then is wired to your hub (wire provided by BT with the hub). Your hub also backs up as your phone socket if you have a digital voice line, (or you may keep your phoneline on the normal master socket if you have a copper line running to your home).

So they put that big white box inside, then a cable run from that to your router?
bbfb12301/07/2020 09:44

I was hoping he would install it at the back of my house. Problem is the …I was hoping he would install it at the back of my house. Problem is the cable runs to the front of my house currently. The engineer had already said he will put it upstairs so I don't need to run powerlines. So to clarify. They put that new big white box in, then its just a standard ethernet cable from that box to your computer?Thanks

You end up with 2x boxes inside, a smaller white one where the fibre connects to (ONT), then your normal BT HomeHub router.

The ONT and Router connect via an ethernet cable, then if your PC is wired to the network it connects to the Router (not the ONT).
mds125601/07/2020 09:59

You end up with 2x boxes inside, a smaller white one where the fibre …You end up with 2x boxes inside, a smaller white one where the fibre connects to (ONT), then your normal BT HomeHub router.The ONT and Router connect via an ethernet cable, then if your PC is wired to the network it connects to the Router (not the ONT).

Do you think they can install it at the back of my house then in that case? The telegraph pole is at the front but I'd rather it go in back of my house in computer room
bbfb12301/07/2020 10:05

Do you think they can install it at the back of my house then in that …Do you think they can install it at the back of my house then in that case? The telegraph pole is at the front but I'd rather it go in back of my house in computer room

It's up to the engineer but I would say no, they won't go around the house, where the pole connects to your property, this will be the side where they install the cable (in your case either upstairs or downstairs).

On mine the cable was only clipped around 4 meters from where the BT lines comes in, but I would reckon they wouldn't go from front to back of the house by clipping the cable.

I know all the literature from BT says the fibre termination point (ONT) will be located where the line enters the building and if you want the router put in a different location the engineer will then run an ethernet cable to where you want the router (within reason), they just staple it around skirting boards and door frames which looks a mess.
mds125601/07/2020 10:07

It's up to the engineer but I would say no, they won't go around the …It's up to the engineer but I would say no, they won't go around the house, where the pole connects to your property, this will be the side where they install the cable (in your case either upstairs or downstairs).On mine the cable was only clipped around 4 meters from where the BT lines comes in, but I would reckon they wouldn't go from front to back of the house by clipping the cable.I know all the literature from BT says the fibre termination point (ONT) will be located where the line enters the building and if you want the router put in a different location the engineer will then run an ethernet cable to where you want the router (within reason), they just staple it around skirting boards and door frames which looks a mess.

I see. So I can ask them to put the small box upstairs then could I run my own ethernet cable along the skirt to the computer room in the back then put the router in compjter room at back?
bbfb12301/07/2020 10:12

I see. So I can ask them to put the small box upstairs then could I run my …I see. So I can ask them to put the small box upstairs then could I run my own ethernet cable along the skirt to the computer room in the back then put the router in compjter room at back?

Possibly if they will let you (like I say they told me at the time it was ground floor only for me (due to COVID) but generally they allow either up or downstairs). Then depending where you want the router (this is a different device to the fibre connection box) you can leave the router in the bedroom up stairs and run the cable from that to the computer or put the router next to the computer and run the cable from the ONT to the Router.
mds125601/07/2020 10:16

Possibly if they will let you (like I say they told me at the time it was …Possibly if they will let you (like I say they told me at the time it was ground floor only for me (due to COVID) but generally they allow either up or downstairs). Then depending where you want the router (this is a different device to the fibre connection box) you can leave the router in the bedroom up stairs and run the cable from that to the computer or put the router next to the computer and run the cable from the ONT to the Router.

So just to confirm then. I need to run ethernet from the first box to the router, then obviously ethernet again from that router? I'm gonna order a long ethernet cable thats all to run along skirt.
bbfb12301/07/2020 10:23

So just to confirm then. I need to run ethernet from the first box to the …So just to confirm then. I need to run ethernet from the first box to the router, then obviously ethernet again from that router? I'm gonna order a long ethernet cable thats all to run along skirt.

That is correct.

Fibre from outside -> ONT (white box) -> Connection from ONT to Router via ethernet cable -> Connection from Router to PC via ethernet cable (or wifi)
mds125601/07/2020 10:28

That is correct.Fibre from outside -> ONT (white box) -> Connection from …That is correct.Fibre from outside -> ONT (white box) -> Connection from ONT to Router via ethernet cable -> Connection from Router to PC via ethernet cable (or wifi)

What speed ethernet cable should I go for you think to maximise speeds? The cable needs to be 40ft long to go from front room to the back one.
bbfb12301/07/2020 10:45

What speed ethernet cable should I go for you think to maximise speeds? …What speed ethernet cable should I go for you think to maximise speeds? The cable needs to be 40ft long to go from front room to the back one.

at least CAT5e (1gbps) or maybe go for CAT6
mds125601/07/2020 10:50

at least CAT5e (1gbps) or maybe go for CAT6

Thanks. I found a 15m long cat6a cable I used 6 years ago. Reckon that will be OK? It says its shielded.
bbfb12301/07/2020 10:51

Thanks. I found a 15m long cat6a cable I used 6 years ago. Reckon that …Thanks. I found a 15m long cat6a cable I used 6 years ago. Reckon that will be OK? It says its shielded.

yeah will be fine, what speed FTTP are you going for, I went for the 1gbps, it's wasted on me though! but nice to have!
If it helps, we are looking at buying a new build house and the fibre comes into the understairs cupboard with the ONT box there.
mds125601/07/2020 10:52

yeah will be fine, what speed FTTP are you going for, I went for the …yeah will be fine, what speed FTTP are you going for, I went for the 1gbps, it's wasted on me though! but nice to have!

Do you get the 1gb? I have the same package with BT but don’t get the speeds man. get about 300 down on a 910 package I’ve had FTTP for 2.5 years was on 300 package now 910 and doesn’t get close thinking of getting an orbi mesh system
Justsuperman01/07/2020 11:03

Do you get the 1gb? I have the same package with BT but don’t get the s …Do you get the 1gb? I have the same package with BT but don’t get the speeds man. get about 300 down on a 910 package I’ve had FTTP for 2.5 years was on 300 package now 910 and doesn’t get close thinking of getting an orbi mesh system

yeah I get the 1gbps (see speedtest I've just ran):

41262336-9BCTx.jpg

This is wired though, wireless I get around 500-600mpbs from my iPhone (I don't use the BT HomeHub router either)
mds125601/07/2020 10:52

yeah will be fine, what speed FTTP are you going for, I went for the …yeah will be fine, what speed FTTP are you going for, I went for the 1gbps, it's wasted on me though! but nice to have!

How do you find the inital page loading speed (or DNS lookup) on the faster speed FTTP?

I went for the 50mb FTTP partly because I don't need faster and partly because I'm tight - once stuff is downloading it flies along, but the DNS lookup is noticeably slower than the ADSL it replaced.
Another part of me is cynical, so I think the DNS servers on slower FTTP connections are are artificially slowed down to make the faster packages feel faster.

It's the same if on wired or wireless, the router is an x86 based machine with 4GB of ram (massive overkill) so I don't think it's the cause, according to Speedtest.net I'm getting a reliable 9ms ping.
andymagic01/07/2020 12:01

How do you find the inital page loading speed (or DNS lookup) on the …How do you find the inital page loading speed (or DNS lookup) on the faster speed FTTP?I went for the 50mb FTTP partly because I don't need faster and partly because I'm tight - once stuff is downloading it flies along, but the DNS lookup is noticeably slower than the ADSL it replaced. Another part of me is cynical, so I think the DNS servers on slower FTTP connections are are artificially slowed down to make the faster packages feel faster.It's the same if on wired or wireless, the router is an x86 based machine with 4GB of ram (massive overkill) so I don't think it's the cause, according to Speedtest.net I'm getting a reliable 9ms ping.

same really, don't find it faster or slower (but I use googles dns of 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4)
mds125601/07/2020 11:21

yeah I get the 1gbps (see speedtest I've just ran):[Image] This is wired …yeah I get the 1gbps (see speedtest I've just ran):[Image] This is wired though, wireless I get around 500-600mpbs from my iPhone (I don't use the BT HomeHub router either)

Nice, slow upload is it not 1000/1000 ?
HotUKDealsHobo01/07/2020 13:14

Nice, slow upload is it not 1000/1000 ?

no, it's actually 910/110
41263753-8UgRN.jpg
mds125601/07/2020 13:35

no, it's actually 910/110[Image]

Still better than my VM 350/30 :-(

However CityFibre are digging at the end of my road as we speak so hopefully i'll be able to to get 900/900 with Vodafone gigafast soon!
mds125601/07/2020 11:21

yeah I get the 1gbps (see speedtest I've just ran):[Image] This is wired …yeah I get the 1gbps (see speedtest I've just ran):[Image] This is wired though, wireless I get around 500-600mpbs from my iPhone (I don't use the BT HomeHub router either)

Which router are you currently using?

Thanks.
cheekster05/07/2020 16:24

Which router are you currently using?Thanks.

Using Ubiquiti Edgerouter X with Ubiquiti nanoHD access points.
mds125605/07/2020 17:26

Using Ubiquiti Edgerouter X with Ubiquiti nanoHD access points.

Great choice on the router. Have my eye on either an Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC Pro or AC-LR as access points.
cheekster05/07/2020 17:33

Great choice on the router. Have my eye on either an Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC …Great choice on the router. Have my eye on either an Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC Pro or AC-LR as access points.

Love Ubiquiti gear, got their cloudkey plus, us150w poe switch and 3 of their cameras too....
Post a comment
@
    Text