Groups

Does anyone know about income tax?

Does anyone know what i should be left with after tax, NI and pension 3.5% has been deducted? i have done some sums but it doesn't add up.
    gross £5059
    deductions £1488
    I have been left with £3571. I calculate that I should have had about £250-£350 more!
    Have i been over taxed?

13 Comments

Ask the Inland Revenue.

Original Poster

I just wondered if anyone knew the answer, before i called them.

cdm22

Ask the Inland Revenue.

It depends on your tax code. Is the gross your income for a month? If so, it's not far away from what you would expect due to 40% tax on the top tier of your earnings. Have you forgotten about that and assumed 20% tax throughout?

Mod & Ed

is this per month? if it is have you taken the higher tax rates into account and the recently lowered threshold? I believe that there was a ni increase too

pink-ka

try this http://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php

They still have last years values and haven't yet put the extra NI on. Still a good tool to use as a rough guide though.

Original Poster

Tax code 747L, I shouldnt pay 40% tax as this is a one off payment.

Lowtrawler

It depends on your tax code. Is the gross your income for a month? If so, … It depends on your tax code. Is the gross your income for a month? If so, it's not far away from what you would expect due to 40% tax on the top tier of your earnings. Have you forgotten about that and assumed 20% tax throughout?

imortal

If it's PAYE, even though it is a one-off payment, you will be subject to 40% tax. Assuming that you earn much less than the higher rate threshold over the remainder of the tax year, you will gradually clawback the higher rate tax. I have done a basic calculation and you have been paid almost exactly what I would have expected.

imortal

Surely it depends on your annual salary then?

listentotaxman.com/ind…php

Original Poster

Grrrrrrr thank you for the reply, even though what i wanted to hear was that i had been robbed.

Lowtrawler

If it's PAYE, even though it is a one-off payment, you will be subject to … If it's PAYE, even though it is a one-off payment, you will be subject to 40% tax. Assuming that you earn much less than the higher rate threshold over the remainder of the tax year, you will gradually clawback the higher rate tax. I have done a basic calculation and you have been paid almost exactly what I would have expected.

seems about right for a 1 off payment, it will even out then an adjustment may be required next year

might be on emergency tax or w/e at the end of the year they recalculate and send a big fat cheque.

looks like you got off litely to me, if your a 40% tax payer that alone would be a deduction of £2023, thats if your earn over the 40% threshold for the tax year.
    Edited by: "Daytrader" 25th May 2011
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. love affairs1649
      2. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1525
      3. Important info for Ryanair customers1825
      4. word association Game73944491

See more discussions