Groups

Does anyone know how to combine the C and E harddrives together?

My C drive is now full and the E drive is practically unused but whatever I seem to download automatically goes into the C drive, can anyone advise what could be done about this, as it's making my laptop run rather slowly of late.

Much appreciated.

12 Comments

do you mean you have a partition?...
    i didnt think computers had more than one hard drive..?

Banned

i have 2 hdd and you need to tell the programs you are using to send the info or files to drive E

if you have 2 hard drives then it would be better off moving some of the downloaded files to the E dirve so the c has some space and will probably run faster. If it has a partition i would suggest backing up the files on E and then removing the parition. If you are downloadiung most of your files trhrough your browser then just go to the options page and change the 'download' to location to the E:/

Upgrade. GParted linux can combine partitions but not recommended.

You can't "combine" drives, but....

but whatever I seem to download automatically goes into the C drive,

If thats your main problem, it should be fairly simple to change the default folder for downloaded items to the other hard drive for whatever program you are using.

Original Poster

dcx_badass;6297158

I have 3 in mine.Anyway if you have two partitions then you can merge … I have 3 in mine.Anyway if you have two partitions then you can merge them using something like partition magic or gparted, if it's two hard drives then you can't merge them.

How can you do that?

It didn't used to be like that before I had a blue screen on my laptop....I think the people that repaired it seperated the hardrives. :?

realfriendlyman;6297334

How can you do that?It didn't used to be like that before I had a blue … How can you do that?It didn't used to be like that before I had a blue screen on my laptop....I think the people that repaired it seperated the hardrives. :?

a laptop doesn't have much room. So you normall have to go with an external option. A desktop can have as many hard drives as the hardware and operating system can support. I have 2 internal and 3 external.

The whole point of a PC is that its customisable to what ever specification you need. Just like some people may choose to have several DVD drives, or run more than one monitor.

If you have 2 partitions not 2 physical drives you can use software such a Partition Magic which can 'stretch' the C partition into the E

You should be able to tell by running Disk Manager - Right click on My Computer and select Manage, under Storage you will see Disk Management, click on this and you will see a list of your Physical drives. If you only have one and a CD drive then you are partitioned.

Go to drive manager settings on your computer.

There is no need to start merging or resizing partitions. This COULD cause problems and you may lose your data on the C drive AND the E drive.

The best thing to do is to start working with it the way it is.

Moving files between disks or partitions is VERY easy.

So if you have, say, loads of digital pictures, or music files, or videos, they can all the moved from your C drive to your E drive, freeing up space on your C drive.

I think this is the best soultion, just start working with it the way it is.

I've got 5 internal hard drives.

What program are you using to download stuff? In the Options/Preferences, there will be an option as to where you want to save the stuff. Usually C:\Downloads, just change it to E:\Downloads.

If using partitions, then i recommend an external hard drive to back things up on before you start trying to merge partitions back together.

Since the E: drive is practically unused why not move your My Documents folder there. It will make backing up your data simpler and it's easy to do. see
    ]http//ww…ws/
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Who's getting the Xbox X Scorpio? 60 day satisfaction1212
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …90153
      3. Are these two things distinctly different to you?30115
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764501

See more discussions