Expired

does anyone know if iPad serial numbers are recorded with purchases from third party vendors?

Found 2nd Oct 2014
i purchased an iPad from john lewis today but my friend has just told me she has same one given to her last week, so the question is can i open the one i purchased today and return the other iPad to JL when i receive it in a couple of weeks, the model number, colour, storage etc is all the same. there is no reference to the serial number of the iPad on the till receipt.
Community Updates
AskiPad
20 Comments
So you come on an open internet site to ask about commiting Fraud, think your username says it all....carry on Officer....
Edited by: "Likely2" 2nd Oct 2014
serial number on box wont match one on item
There will be a reference of it somewhere I suspect but, they wouldn't know it wasn't bought from there when you returned it and if someone else bought it, as a still sealed product they also wouldn't know.
I think it would probably only flag up as not bought from their store if it had to be returned to Apple as unpurchased. In theory though, it shouldn't be a problem.

I assume you'll be buying the one off your friend? Is there no way you can get it sooner?

I'm impatient so I'd probably open it too and return the unopened one.
@likely2 who exactly would be the victim here?

@bex85 yes i would buy the one from my friend so she had the cash instead but won't be seeing her for a few weeks! think il give it a go. thanks for your reply.
Hell no, I wouldn't because I think it's covered under fraud. Might be alright if both were bought from John Lewis but there is still a paper trail linking you to an ipad with that serial number. You could try it and plead ignorance if they check the serial against their purchased stock and it comes back as unlisted but better not to risk it.
muppet676

@likely2 who exactly would be the victim here?@bex85 yes i would buy the … @likely2 who exactly would be the victim here?@bex85 yes i would buy the one from my friend so she had the cash instead but won't be seeing her for a few weeks! think il give it a go. thanks for your reply.

The only other thing(s) I'd say are:
Will you be able to get it and return it within JL's return period? If it's only just inside of the return period they may question why it took so long to return it and thirdly, if they won't take it back/offer a refund, are you in a position to be able to sell it at a bit of a loss on somewhere like Gumtree?

I've found that there sometimes is a bit more of a fuss made if I'm returning something after having it over a week, vs a day or two. I don't think I've ever bought something from JL so not sure on how good they are with refunds etc.
Why not just wait and stop being impatient? Return the one you brought and wait the two weeks until you get the one off your friend. less fuss and less hassle. You've gone x amount of time without an ipad until now so what difference is two-three weeks more?
JL are always good, intact I think they offer unlimited time refunds, probably within reason of course but not limited to a specific timeframe.
I'm very patient, if someone would have answered definitively they don't track serial numbers that would have been fine. But seems not worth the risk or uncertainty.
muppet676

JL are always good, intact I think they offer unlimited time refunds, … JL are always good, intact I think they offer unlimited time refunds, probably within reason of course but not limited to a specific timeframe. I'm very patient, if someone would have answered definitively they don't track serial numbers that would have been fine. But seems not worth the risk or uncertainty.

If you can wait then, no probably not worth the risk.

It would probably be fine but, there is some risk in it, as at some point there will be a record of the serial number.
The serial number would be stored on their computer system and I'm sure it'll get checked out once returned for fraud related purposes
Stores are wise to this and you will be caught.
muppet676

@likely2 who exactly would be the victim here?....

ROTFL....you, you fool....it could be taken that you've already commited Conspiracy to Defraud just by talking about it (With Bex hahaha, another Victim of your great idea).

In layman’s terms, a conspiracy is a plan between two or more people to c … In layman’s terms, a conspiracy is a plan between two or more people to commit an offence or offences. The offences don’t have to have actually been carried out for the conspiracy to take place. Conspiracy is a legal principle which can apply to any offence.

Your conversation with Bex could be seen as a plan....so 2 victims already....well done, is it BOGOF at JL....more laughter....and even more if you think JL don't record Serial No.s against sales.

Edited by: "Likely2" 2nd Oct 2014
What on earth are u talking about?
muppet676

@likely2 who exactly would be the victim here?....

In layman’s terms, a conspiracy is a plan between two or more people to c … In layman’s terms, a conspiracy is a plan between two or more people to commit an offence or offences. The offences don’t have to have actually been carried out for the conspiracy to take place. Conspiracy is a legal principle which can apply to any offence.

But is it fraud? Does anyone lose out?

Forget about the item having a serial number for a minute. He bought an iPad, for arguments sake say it was a 16GB iPad Air in black with Wifi. And he returns a 16GB Wifi iPad Air in black. Exactly same item in that respect he's returned what he bought. It's only an issue because it has a serial number.
If you bought an item from shop A and opened it that day, then saw it was half price at another shop, would you buy it there and return the unopened one to the more expensive shop with the receipt?
HUKD is strange. This is seen as fraud, returning an item exactly the same as was bought but, when Chromecast was reduced at Tesco, lots of people were told to buy there and return the one they bought from Tesco to the store they bought the more expensive one from, i.e if bought at £30 and used, buy at£18 and return that one with £30 receipt, even though they have serial numbers to.
Yes considerably cheaper but same principle. IPad for iPad of same spec. Not like it was a 32GB one was bought and trying to commit fraud by returning a16GB one.
Totally agree Bex. It makes no difference to any party concerned in reality. Don't understand at all why some can't understand the concept!
It might not state serial number on the receipt but I'm sure John Lewis keep track of all their sold product and serial numbers as they do offer longer warranty
From my experience I once bought a blazer from Zara and the price label was missing so the assistant went and got a similar blazer to scan as it was same price anyways I went home and came back as it was a tad big I showed receipt and they said the label inside did not match the receipt, I explained it
They were not having none of it so if they can store Blazers by sizes into their systems I'm sure they will store all high priced products and the serial numbers
ashraf86uk

From my experience I once bought a blazer from Zara and the price label … From my experience I once bought a blazer from Zara and the price label was missing so the assistant went and got a similar blazer to scan as it was same price anyways I went home and came back as it was a tad big I showed receipt and they said the label inside did not match the receipt, I explained it

ashraf86uk

They were not having none of it so if they can store Blazers by sizes … They were not having none of it so if they can store Blazers by sizes into their systems I'm sure they will store all high priced products and the serial numbers

Was it the same blazer but in a different size, or a similar blazer?
If a similar blazer then it will have had a different barcode which is where the issue will have come in. Like you couldn't return an iPad Mini instead of a Retina iPad Mini as they have different barcodes :p.
When you activate the device, the serial number is tracked via Apples GSX System, so in answer, Yes - it is possible to see it was activated. Lots of checks to be done with apple devices with the Find my iphone/ipad security feature. Definitely not worth the risk.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants