does anyone know of a cheap car insurance ??

Found 7th Apr 2016
Need a cheap car insurer , I have 0 no claims bonus, thank you in advance ..
Community Updates
27 Comments
0 no claims and young? Expect to have to give them your soul.
Tesco, but try go compare. They got me a better deal then going to Tesco directly!
you would ideally need to be a named driver on your parents policy, the more no claims years your parents have the better. Otherwise you may find it difficult to get insured at all,
Also its dependent on the car.
you need to help us out an give us information.. Age, driving license since?, Car engine size/year, Also location matters, My car insurance in Milton Keynes is cheaper than the one i have in manchester.
Use a fake phone number before using the comparison websites because I get about 3 calls every day and I haven't used the **** comparison sites for over a year.
How old are you? Had any accidents etc? What car do you want or have? A bit more info would be good or you could go and use the comparison sites and find a cheap one for yourself.... and yes use a fake number or you'll get harassed loads of times throughout the day.
Have you tried the comparison websites such as " compare the market" , " confused.com" , this will at least give you some idea of cost. If the car is yours and you are the main driver then you need to have the policy in your name , but can add more experienced drivers to bring the cost down eg parents. Don't put the insurance under someone else's name as the main driver to reduce costs if that's not the case , it's called fronting and isn't legal .
Edited by: "tinkerbellian" 7th Apr 2016
Use money supermarket and go compare. Also name as many ppl on the policy as possible that have years of experience
I have been with Tesco for years, every year I do a comparison search and it has always come up the cheapest
Always do fully comp as comes out cheaper and on my boys car insurances I always add my dad on their policy brings it down a lot, much more then adding myself or their father, just keep trying different options, adding people and taking people off and see what's cheaper good luck
Always do fully comp as comes out cheaper and on my boys car insurances I always add my dad on their policy brings it down a lot, much more then adding myself or their father, just keep trying different options, adding people and taking people off and see what's cheaper good luck
What car will you be driving?

How old are you?

How long since passing test?

Anyone else be on the insurance?

These are the questions you need to be answering, not here though, on comparison sites. No one here can help.
nrackham76

you would ideally need to be a named driver on your parents policy

That's called fronting and is illegal. You can however get your own policy and have your parents as named drivers. Even if you really don't expect them to ever drive your car it is OK.
MIDURIX

That's called fronting and is illegal. You can however get your own … That's called fronting and is illegal. You can however get your own policy and have your parents as named drivers. Even if you really don't expect them to ever drive your car it is OK.

As long as the policy holder uses the car it's not illegal, . Like I said, get the policy holder to drive the car and that's the end of the story,
MIDURIX

That's called fronting and is illegal. You can however get your own … That's called fronting and is illegal. You can however get your own policy and have your parents as named drivers. Even if you really don't expect them to ever drive your car it is OK.

Not unless the named driver is specified as the Main Driver. You can even go for a company which will allow you to earn named driver no claims - while this can only be used with that company when you go to buy your own policy, the second year you can take the full lot to another company.
nrackham76

As long as the policy holder uses the car it's not illegal, . Like I … As long as the policy holder uses the car it's not illegal, . Like I said, get the policy holder to drive the car and that's the end of the story,

If the insurance is in your mother's name for example and you are a named driver on her insurance but you are the one who is using the car most that is called fronting and is illegal. You seriously don't know this?
nihalvyas

Not unless the named driver is specified as the Main Driver

That is the definition of fronting and is illegal. This is worrying.
MIDURIX

That is the definition of fronting and is illegal. This is worrying.

Before anyone asks also. Guy in work was taken for this and got £1.5K fine, 6 points, which because he was in first two years meant driving ban, after that he only found 2 companies willing to take him on and was paying some daft amount to insure a car. Just to add he had been in an accident and insurance would not pay out on his car, so also had to pay to get that fixed ontop of it all and his mother lost her no claims bonus as well then the insurer refused her insurance also which then led to her having to declare to other companies "have you ever had a policy terminated/cancelled" question which then led to her own insurance almost doubling.
Would a story like this change your mind in even thinking about fronting?
I think the idea of fronting is getting out of hand,
Fronting has not been proposed as an idea and this has been taken out of context.
If the person would be a named driver on the policy of a person that would use the car (which is normal for most new drivers) then that is entirely legal and fine.
I do not condem fronting and the guys that have mentioned this are completely right. Do not break the law but do look for ways to make it cheaper,
nrackham76

I think the idea of fronting is getting out of hand,Fronting has not been … I think the idea of fronting is getting out of hand,Fronting has not been proposed as an idea and this has been taken out of context.If the person would be a named driver on the policy of a person that would use the car (which is normal for most new drivers) then that is entirely legal and fine.I do not condem fronting and the guys that have mentioned this are completely right. Do not break the law but do look for ways to make it cheaper,

​no. claiming someone is the main user of the car, when it is realistically someone else, is fronting. which is illegal.
It is only' fronting' (which is illegal if the person taking out the insurance does not declare that the named younger/inexperienced driver is the main user of the car. Some policies allow this and some don't. So long as you are scrupulously honest there is no problem and the premium will reflect this, so is not a lot of use to the OP and is frankly not worth the effort
Having a child as a named driver when they are an infrequent user of the car is fine and works well for students using a car at home during the holidays.

Having an older/more experienced driver named on a policy will often reduce a premium. Depending on the insurer, sometimes 2 extra drivers will lower it further, sometimes this will put it up!

To answer the OP's point, after many many long hours trying to insure my daughter, for us, Hasting Smartmiles (telematics) was the cheapest by a margin. Also, now in the 2nd renewal year after achieving a good yearly score, it has consistently been cheaper by £200 than any other quote.

Obviously, your personal circumstances are not the same as mine, so another insurer may be better.

Year 1 £900 18 yr old grp 2 car rural area No NCB
Year 2 £610
Year 3 £600 but with 18 year old brother added as named driver with no NCB
MIDURIX

Why did you recommend it then? Someone asks a cheap way to get insured, … Why did you recommend it then? Someone asks a cheap way to get insured, you recommend fronting then denounce fronting.

That's not accurate, I did not recommend fronting, you simply assumed I meant that when I didn't, your initial message should have asked my intentions. I also assumed the new driver would be car sharing with a parent etc which means they would not have been fronting.
Please don't assume and ask me should you miss understand my words.
nrackham76

That's not accurate, I did not recommend fronting, you simply assumed I … That's not accurate, I did not recommend fronting, you simply assumed I meant that when I didn't, your initial message should have asked my intentions. I also assumed the new driver would be car sharing with a parent etc which means they would not have been fronting.Please don't assume and ask me should you miss understand my words.

does anyone know of a cheap car insurance ??Need a cheap car insurer , I … does anyone know of a cheap car insurance ??Need a cheap car insurer , I have 0 no claims bonus, thank you in advance ..

Equals car sharing with parents?
There's reading between the lines, but I think that's a bit far! :P. They didn't even state they were young or even mention parents. Just admit you didn't know what fronting is, it's OK.
MIDURIX

Equals car sharing with parents? There's reading between the lines, but I … Equals car sharing with parents? There's reading between the lines, but I think that's a bit far! :P. They didn't even state they were young or even mention parents. Just admit you didn't know what fronting is, it's OK.

Enjoy your weekend and Friday night on HUKD... I'll turn off my notifications so I can crack on with mine,
Good luck with all:)
Fronting is mainly when you have uni students who live somewhere completely different to the parents but have the parents as the main drivers.

If I have a car, and myself and my dad is the main driver yet we both drive the car and live at the same address then that's not Fronting.

Fronting is really when main driver is listed at one address but the real main driver lives somewhere else. That's when it becomes a issue.
EN1GMA

Fronting is mainly when you have uni students who live somewhere … Fronting is mainly when you have uni students who live somewhere completely different to the parents but have the parents as the main drivers. If I have a car, and myself and my dad is the main driver yet we both drive the car and live at the same address then that's not Fronting. Fronting is really when main driver is listed at one address but the real main driver lives somewhere else. That's when it becomes a issue.

Not really. Fronting is just when a parent insurers a car in their name with an offspring as a named driver knowing that the offspring will be doing most of the driving, ie taking the car to work every day, having the car in their name, maintaining/servicing the car.
If it's insurance in the parents name and offspring as named driver most insurance companies will expect the offspring to be doing a much smaller percentage of the driving, but if you are in doubt ask your insurance company if what you deem acceptable is acceptable to them. There are quite a few grey areas, but in most cases people just take the ****.
I couldn't care about anyone ripping off an insurance company, so don't get me wrong, it's just the repercussions if you are caught out.
This thread shows that loads of people quite clearly have no idea that they could unknowing break the law and advise people to do the same, not knowing it's wrong.
MIDURIX

Not really. Fronting is just when a parent insurers a car in their name … Not really. Fronting is just when a parent insurers a car in their name with an offspring as a named driver knowing that the offspring will be doing most of the driving, ie taking the car to work every day, having the car in their name, maintaining/servicing the car.If it's insurance in the parents name and offspring as named driver most insurance companies will expect the offspring to be doing a much smaller percentage of the driving, but if you are in doubt ask your insurance company if what you deem acceptable is acceptable to them. There are quite a few grey areas, but in most cases people just take the ****.I couldn't care about anyone ripping off an insurance company, so don't get me wrong, it's just the repercussions if you are caught out. This thread shows that loads of people quite clearly have no idea that they could unknowing break the law and advise people to do the same, not knowing it's wrong.

I agree with you mate. Like I said, fronting tends to be more an issue when younger names driver lives at another address.
EN1GMA

I agree with you mate. Like I said, fronting tends to be more an issue … I agree with you mate. Like I said, fronting tends to be more an issue when younger names driver lives at another address.

I get you.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions