Groups

Does anyone know which broadband would be best?

I was just wondering if anyone could make up my mind for me and tell me which broadband provider would be best.

One problem is im tied into my BT line so only need broadband.

samknows.com/bro…BCY

This is my exchange but im not very good with the technical details. Money is not exactly a issue but just really want the top speed possible.

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

18 Comments

i'm with bt, only had one problem in the past 8 or so years.

Whats your internet usage like? If your a high bandwidth user eg download films games etc make sure you go with a company that have a flexible or non existant fair usage policy e.g sky when you get max broadband package. Otherwise you may get throttled to snail speeds or billed etc for going over your allowed usage.

On ADSL which looks to be all your exchange supports at the moment 02/Be come highly reccommended however they dont appear to be operating there, personally I would say steer clear of Tiscalli, pipex and talk talk for the reason mentioned above and there seem to be horror stories about them all over the net.

However if you just use for emails and inet surfing then choose the cheapest for you as it will make little difference to you as the end user. Personally from the options you have I would suggest Sky, Bt or Orange.

Due to you only having the option of ADSL your max speed is going to be dependent entirely on the distance you live from the exchange as your area is LLU your likely to get the same speed from each supplier.

Virginmedia ADSL would be the best for you,They do a Unlimited 10MB XL package @ £17.99 per month & you dont have to accept or have thier phone option althou if you did it brings the broadband down to £14.99...They have cheaper packages & it depends how much internet MB you use. O2 have some good deals but I see you have the same problem as myself where your exchange is " LLU operator presence = O2 / Be: Not available " . This means O2 can not supply you any of thier cheap services though LLU. For example If my exchange was LLU I could get O2 Premium Up to 20 meg for £9.79 Month which would work out better than my Virginmedia @ £17.99 a month. None LLU O2 Customers have to have a package called Access @ £17.13 Per Month & it's only 8 MB Instead of the 20MB ...I've used O2 as an example but it's the same result for alot more ISP's if they are just ADSL based & non LLU in the exchange. Hope that helps explain to you.

anything but mobile broadband its S****y

Well now that BT have finally got their backside in gear and managed to get the 21CN project working we should all be getting faster broadband speed (up to 24mb) on ADSL at some point next year as and when its brought into service in each exchange.

Sky had a very good package recently but you say you are tied in to your BT line which might be a issue, If you were to suddenly make friends with or find a long lost relative who just so happens to be a Sky engineer/installer then Sky were doing free broadband,Sky talk with free HD box,free install,full sky package half price for 12 months with the possibility of free £50 M&S Voucher. The deal was posted on HUKD

:whistling::santa::gift:

diesel_508;7029999

anything but mobile broadband its S****y

Yea! 100% agreed! worst thing ever to do is go over your included package on a contract mobile broadband & your house will be up for re morgauge , for example on a "3" mobile broadband contract dongle go over by just 1 CD worth of data ( 700MB ) and it'll cost you approx £75!!! on top of your monthly payment.
    The other moble networks charge even more per MB as far as I know....
    O2 3MB Package = Mobile Broadband data used above 3GB per month (UK only) will be charged at £0.20 per MB inc.
    O2 10MB Package = Any data used above 10GB will be charged at 19.6p per MB

Orange = Any out of bundle usage would cost 4.9p per MB on 30-day rolling contracts and 1.96p per MB on 18-month contracts.
    Roaming: European Union countries cost £2.94 per MB while the Rest of the World costs[COLOR="Red"] £6.46 per MB.[/COLOR]:w00t:
    3 = Out of Bundle charge (Per MB) £0.10
    Vodaphone = if you go over the 3GB limit - it's [COLOR="Red"]£15 for every additional GB you use[/COLOR].
    TMobile operates a has a fair use policy that can be very strict & confusing when they limit you.

CRAZY!!!iii!!!

wouldn't use sky, they keep offering me free broadband but i wont change to them as everyone i know who uses sky has problems especially on xbox live.

NahThenLad;7029997

Virginmedia ADSL would be the best for you,They do a Unlimited 10MB XL … Virginmedia ADSL would be the best for you,They do a Unlimited 10MB XL package @ £17.99 per month

Are you sure about that? Virgin have recently hidden their traffic management policy for their ADSL connections but I'd be very dubious about it being unlimited at the price.

As bailey2k4 says, which one is the best is going to depend on your usage.

What about UKOnline, does anyone know if their top package is unlimited? ukonline.net/pre…er/

We have Sky as my lil poppets can use up their broandband "fair usage" allowance within only a portion of the time alllowed.

BT used to throttle back our usage every evening. Sky is better in that sense.

Original Poster

Are Sky unreliable? Cause I have heard some bad things about drastically changing download speeds.

I would go with BT but I get so fed up with their customer services. Awfull in my experience.

Wish I could just sty with o2 as they were great at my last place.

Banned

Alex_Boosh_Hair;7036838

Are Sky unreliable? Cause I have heard some bad things about drastically … Are Sky unreliable? Cause I have heard some bad things about drastically changing download speeds.I would go with BT but I get so fed up with their customer services. Awfull in my experience.Wish I could just sty with o2 as they were great at my last place.

mum and brother changed from virgin to sky.....tv service great but the broadband has been absolutely atrocious 0.5 download speeds at best........complete joke as they were promised 2mb and they moved from virgin with the 50mb installed in the area

need to check your exchange and line at the end of the day, too many variations

Sky operate two different services, their LLU packages and Sky connect so be clear which one any comments apply to.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves;7039664

Sky operate two different services, their LLU packages and Sky connect so … Sky operate two different services, their LLU packages and Sky connect so be clear which one any comments apply to.

Has anyone used thier LLU services? Cause this is what I can get. Works out well for the price but I dont want crap speeds every evening.

Original Poster

Anyone? Please.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764222
      2. How dangerous is Donald trump?31141
      3. Find out how good your GP surgery is55
      4. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio711

See more discussions