does anyone out there understand the Johnny Depp advert?

Found 20th Dec 2017
the one where he buries his jewellery while a bison wanders past ....

I honestly don't get it - WTH has it got to do with aftershave ?
Am I missing a deep dark meaning , is it symbolic, or ....?
Community Updates
  1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
Top comments
Your here talking about the advert, that alone means it's doing its job pretty well.
32845961-oUp2D.jpg
43 Comments
He spent so much money on the stink hes trying to grow a magic money tree
& who cuts about with eyeliner on?
Your here talking about the advert, that alone means it's doing its job pretty well.
Original Poster
True but doesn't mean I'd buy the stuff......not if it made my old man go out wearing eyeliner and digging holes in Peckham Rye common !
Alfsmum2 m ago

True but doesn't mean I'd buy the stuff......not if it made my old man go …True but doesn't mean I'd buy the stuff......not if it made my old man go out wearing eyeliner and digging holes in Peckham Rye common !

I was hoping it was his career he was burying, fingers crossed Mr Slappy won't be in many more movies.
32845961-oUp2D.jpg
I have no idea, just some arty I think, but the man makes my skin crawl so I’d never buy it.
If it can be any worse, the commercial is over two years old. It first appeared in 2015.
The advert is conveying the message that even after sweating like a pig shovelling, Dior is strong enough to mask the smell of ones' pits.

Oh and the smell of bison.
Does it matter?
All perfume/ aftershave ads at Xmas are laughable and silly
What aftershave / perfume adds have made sense to you?
I don’t get any fragrance advert
Kilroywasere28 m ago

[Image]

I wondered if anyone else had thought that

I dunno, it's not a great advert. He looks old but not in the good way that men sometimes age. It's not really a good look for him.

But then, I totally went off him after seeing his Die Antwoord performance:

I don't know how someone so successful and famous could turn into such a try hard.
If I'm correct, I think it's that he wants to escape from his high profile life. The ad starts in Metropolis - and the artist wants to escape and vanish from that life. So he drives. Out into the wild (the after shave is called Sauvage- which also means wild) where he strips himself of his jewellery etc which is associated with his old life
This makes no sense to me,
The question you should be asking, does Johnny Depp know what what he's doing or selling ???
shadey124 m ago

This makes no sense to me,[Video]

Kinda reminds me of that Sia video. I suppose they are trying to sell a feeling.
ibblackberry11 h, 12 m ago

Your here talking about the advert, that alone means it's doing its job …Your here talking about the advert, that alone means it's doing its job pretty well.

Not really. I've seen the ad loads of times, and whilst I know it's for a fragrance I've no idea what brand it is.
shadey1211 m ago

This makes no sense to me,[Video]

Her lover is on stage accepting an award and is praising his wife. The mistress is tired of being the invisible woman and has a nervous breakdown.
summerof7613 m ago

The question you should be asking, does Johnny Depp know what what he's …The question you should be asking, does Johnny Depp know what what he's doing or selling ???

Has he ever known what he's doing?
Original Poster
'You're right - none of the fragrance ads make any sense - I think the bison is the best part of that one.
the woman in the green dress - v e r y weird,
The advert is (for whatever reason) supposed to represent someone who feels trapped and imprisoned by possessions and other trivial things that people think represent freedom, but are ultimately hollow.

I think the Bison is supposed to represent power and strength that is made up of nothing but itself - personifying how a person can be powerful without all the trivial unnatural things.

He then buries all his luxury stuff in the desert to 'free' himself.

Not sure if the message conflicts with the idea of expensive perfume, though. Probably
Most adverts for perfume/aftershave are pretentious. remember chanel egoiste ad?
It's symbolic of one thing...my wife going off him.
Like all the other scent ads.. hooey!

Apparently it's:

"A radically fresh composition dictated by a name that has the ring of a manifesto. That was the way François Demachy, DIOR perfume creator wanted it, raw and noble all at once. Natural ingredients selected with extreme care prevail in excessive doses. Radiant top notes burst with the juicy freshness of Reggio di Calabria bergamot. Ambroxan derived from precious ambergris, unleashes a powerfully woody trail. DIOR savage is an act of creation inspired by wide open spaces. An ozone blue sky sprawled above a rocky landscape, white hot beneath the desert sun.

....Who are they paying to think this poo poo up!?
Nikki9994 m ago

Like all the other scent ads.. hooey!Apparently it's: "A radically fresh …Like all the other scent ads.. hooey!Apparently it's: "A radically fresh composition dictated by a name that has the ring of a manifesto. That was the way François Demachy, DIOR perfume creator wanted it, raw and noble all at once. Natural ingredients selected with extreme care prevail in excessive doses. Radiant top notes burst with the juicy freshness of Reggio di Calabria bergamot. Ambroxan derived from precious ambergris, unleashes a powerfully woody trail. DIOR savage is an act of creation inspired by wide open spaces. An ozone blue sky sprawled above a rocky landscape, white hot beneath the desert sun.....Who are they paying to think this poo poo up!?

Themselves, it's the same old guff artists use to sell art expressionism. I have a cynical opinion a lot of art is 20% talent and 80% salesmanship.
Does anyone buy into his n her fragrances? Like the one with the pair of them walking about on car roofs (all I can think when I watch that is 'it's a good job she took her stilletos off..!" like some kind of oap!) and them swinging about on a steel beam together all loved up.. makes you wanna puke... Stronger with You, or some rubbish.

Unless the perfume top note is anthrax, I can't see my other half buying into his n hers!
Nikki99950 m ago

Does anyone buy into his n her fragrances? Like the one with the pair of …Does anyone buy into his n her fragrances? Like the one with the pair of them walking about on car roofs (all I can think when I watch that is 'it's a good job she took her stilletos off..!" like some kind of oap!) and them swinging about on a steel beam together all loved up.. makes you wanna puke... Stronger with You, or some rubbish.Unless the perfume top note is anthrax, I can't see my other half buying into his n hers!

It's not really the same thing, but I've bought some vanilla spray from body shop and use that now (I'm male btw).

It's as androgenous as you can get!
Watch the lee mack standup to do with perfume adverts - amazing
Give the guy a break, he's only human and a wannabe musician.
It's tough for successful actors when they realise they are mere actors and can't cut it in the rarefied world of music.
Music is THE calling of the Gods and actors are just eye candy so if they need to sell fragrances it's just down to despration.
Agharta8 m ago

Give the guy a break, he's only human and a wannabe musician.It's tough …Give the guy a break, he's only human and a wannabe musician.It's tough for successful actors when they realise they are mere actors and can't cut it in the rarefied world of music.Music is THE calling of the Gods and actors are just eye candy so if they need to sell fragrances it's just down to despration.

Depp was a guitarist (with The Kids, later renamed to Six Gun Method) years before he became an actor.

fanpages23 m ago

Depp was a guitarist (with The Kids, later renamed to Six Gun Method) …Depp was a guitarist (with The Kids, later renamed to Six Gun Method) years before he became an actor.[Video]

I have seen Depp on stages including Glastonbury with various bands and nothing he did made me think he was there because of his musical skills.
Literally anyone can be in a band, listen to the charts, but I’ve yet to hear anything that suggests he’s a good musician.
Agharta2 h, 29 m ago

I have seen Depp on stages including Glastonbury with various bands and …I have seen Depp on stages including Glastonbury with various bands and nothing he did made me think he was there because of his musical skills.Literally anyone can be in a band, listen to the charts, but I’ve yet to hear anything that suggests he’s a good musician.

I didn't say he was; I was simply stating he didn't think he was a musician because he was a successful actor (as you suggested).
MSK.7 h, 48 m ago

I wondered if anyone else had thought that (lol)I dunno, it's not a great …I wondered if anyone else had thought that (lol)I dunno, it's not a great advert. He looks old but not in the good way that men sometimes age. It's not really a good look for him.But then, I totally went off him after seeing his Die Antwoord performance:[Video] I don't know how someone so successful and famous could turn into such a try hard.

I think the only respectable man in Hollywood is keanu reeves, in general i think it goes with the territory that they are narcs and desperate people
u6645419 h, 2 m ago

Not really. I've seen the ad loads of times, and whilst I know it's for a …Not really. I've seen the ad loads of times, and whilst I know it's for a fragrance I've no idea what brand it is.

It's totally working, you might not know what it is, but it's gripped the imagination enough to have a random 35+ post on a deals forum. I've never seen that type of thing about a spaghetti hoops advert.

Its creating discussion, so that in itself makes it a good advert.
I don't understand it no.

Then again I understand very little from rich people.
The Bison in Smurf folklore represents the anguish at man's inhumanity to man on Tuesdays.
Burying the jewellery is a representation that people like to put Salad Cream on their chips, instead of Tomato Sauce.

Der! it's like obvious 'n stuff
jean paul gaultier said his fragrance adverts were a joke, a parady of the others but they always just looked the same to me, maybe too good a copy or some french humour too subtle to get
Deal0rN0Dea112 h, 34 m ago

Watch the lee mack standup to do with perfume adverts - amazing

"she has eyes, but she cannot see, she has arms but she has no arms..."
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants