Does anyone recommend any candles stronger than yankee ?

Posted 28th Mar 2015
Hi while i collect rare yankee candles i have noticed alot in the past 12 months the ones i have bought for burning barely have any smell to them.
i am after knowing what strong candles i can buy to burn without breaking the bank.
i love to have my whole apartment smelling nice but the yankees are just not doing it anymore.
Community Updates
New Comment

36 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Am ready for some negativity, but try the No. 1 and No.3 candles in Aldi. We have been quite impressed by them
    See i like Aldi's candles .the sweet almond macaroon,velvet rose are very good but they burn unevenly and make the candle look a total mess. Im trimming the wick back each time but they leave pools of melted wax around hardened edges. I bought 2 of the large 25.00 ones and they last a long time and give a lovely scent throw however they are a 4 wick candle and have left 4 pools in the wax.both of them now,only 2 wicks burn,the others have managed to drown in the wax from the 2 that i am able to light up.
    Unless you get the small candles youll get uneven burn and waste,
    kester76

Might sound daft but have you remembered to turn the candles upside down … Might sound daft but have you remembered to turn the candles upside down for a hour or two before lighting them ?

kester76

The scented oils drop to the bottom of the candle after a while, turning … The scented oils drop to the bottom of the candle after a while, turning the candle upside down for a while allows the oil and fragrance to run through the whole of the candle.

When the candle is cold and unlit it's a solid. How can oil and fragrance "sink" through them? I could understand if it was say a packet of scented wipes, I store them upside down so that every time I take a wipe out, it's damp. But I don't get this in solid wax? If you turn it upside down for a few hours, do you end up with a layer of perfume oil on the top when you turn it back up? Also, If it's cold cold, wax would be harder, and if its hot weather it would be much softer so it would be a different make up?
    Never tried these but may be worth a punt for a couple of quid:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-SECTION-BREAK-BAR-SOY-WAX-MELT-TARTS-VARIETY-OF-FRAGRANCE-COLOUR-/171375042593?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item27e6bfa021

If link isn't working - Item number = 171375042593
    therealslimkaty

When the candle is cold and unlit it's a solid. How can oil and fragrance … When the candle is cold and unlit it's a solid. How can oil and fragrance "sink" through them? I could understand if it was say a packet of scented wipes, I store them upside down so that every time I take a wipe out, it's damp. But I don't get this in solid wax? If you turn it upside down for a few hours, do you end up with a layer of perfume oil on the top when you turn it back up? Also, If it's cold cold, wax would be harder, and if its hot weather it would be much softer so it would be a different make up?

It was advice taken from Yankee candles official facebook forum so I guess they know what they're talking about. It's only for the 1st burn and to give a stronger scent from burning straight away. I can't comment on the science of it but people have reported that it works.

Lot's of weird tricks you can do with these candles like wrapping tinfoil around the outside of the jar to save a candle after tunnelling but I guess it also depends on the size of the candles, for the 22oz ones they take a long time to completely melt the top layer so are more prone to this.
    you should try woodwick candles, amazing smell and lovely crackling sound from them. Still can't resist Yankee candles too though
    I would recommend village candles as an alternative. I find they smell a lot stronger than my yankee candles.
    Neom are my favourite and natural too-very long lasting fragrance. Not cheap, but well worth it if you're into candles.
    Author
    Mermoo

Neom are my favourite and natural too-very long lasting fragrance. Not … Neom are my favourite and natural too-very long lasting fragrance. Not cheap, but well worth it if you're into candles.

thankyou but they are a little on the expensive side.i had just discovered kringle candles but they have also closed down.
    We buy Yankee too but when we want something stronger we use the lovely wax tablets from onawick.co.uk/ and have a burner. Think they do candles too :-)
    Author
    zippyantsuk

We buy Yankee too but when we want something stronger we use the lovely … We buy Yankee too but when we want something stronger we use the lovely wax tablets from http://onawick.co.uk/ and have a burner. Think they do candles too :-)

i will take a look at these thankyou how would you compare there strengh with yankee?
    Have you tried Standard Candles?
    the yankee wax tarts are great..u put them in a burner and there cheap too
    Might sound daft but have you remembered to turn the candles upside down for a hour or two before lighting them ?
    kester76

Might sound daft but have you remembered to turn the candles upside down … Might sound daft but have you remembered to turn the candles upside down for a hour or two before lighting them ?

Just wondering why?
    How about a few drops of fragrance oil in water in the burner instead of the wax tart

Comment

greyparrot

i will take a look at these thankyou how would you compare there strengh … i will take a look at these thankyou how would you compare there strengh with yankee?

Hmm difficult to compare but you can choose more tablets if you want a stronger fragrance. Because it's a change from Yankee smell I t makes the Yankees fresh again when we do go back to using them
    Molten Brown seem to be stronger, and it you're feeling flush; Jo Malone.
    rap451

Just wondering why?

The scented oils drop to the bottom of the candle after a while, turning the candle upside down for a while allows the oil and fragrance to run through the whole of the candle.
    I like the JL ones
    parks candles, lovely but pricey
    Author
    kester76

never heard of this but would make alot of sense.
    kester76

The scented oils drop to the bottom of the candle after a while, turning … The scented oils drop to the bottom of the candle after a while, turning the candle upside down for a while allows the oil and fragrance to run through the whole of the candle.

Thanks for the info.... I didn’t realise this, I'll tell her indoors and my girls then I guess they’ll get a more consistent aroma in their homes.
    I find certain fragrances from yankee amell stronger than others, there's a lilac coloured honeyblossom candle that made my whole house smell amazing, as did the summer scoop tealights, yet I've got a large orange splash jar just now and can't smell a thing from it.
    I've started using colonial candles and they smell great. I defo agree that certain flavours of Yankee have more smell than others.
    Best thing I did was get an electric tart burner and only put a bit of the tart in at a time as a whole one can be a bit strong but I'm able to leave it on while not in the house so it always smells nice for me coming home
    The Yankee tarts fill my whole house with their lovely scent. I also burn oils in an oil burner. You only need a few drops and it lasts ages. The M&S oils and Sainsbury's ones are gorgeous.
    Yankee are the best I have tried. Maybe you just use them too much and are getting used to the small? Maybe go a few days without using one? Also what do you think of incense? They are great for filling a room with lovely sents
    If you are keen then google making candles - cheaper and you can make it as strong as you like (to a degree).
    Author
    well i left one upside down lit it and smells of nothing i currently am burning 3 all over my apartment and still cant smell them. and i have also gone a few days without lighting any. i have however read on google that yankee have reduced the amount of oils they are putting in the candles i guess they will lose alot of custom.
    I bought an orange yankee candle about four months ago. I think it was called juicy orange. However, instead of smelling of juicy oranges it just stank the house out like orange flavoured furniture polish, a horrible synthetic smell, and my son complained that it gave him a splitting headache. so that one had plenty of scent. Very glad I didn't turn it upside down first. oO

I got my wife a couple of candles at christmas they were called stoneglow she said that the great can't remember where I got them mite have been john lewis
    Darceys candles wax melts are brilliant long lasting and smell amazing
    Potters candles are great and a very strong at only 9.99 a tin last for ages.
    There are lots. I think as far as expensive candles go, I'd much rather buy something from The White Company than something from Yankee

you-well.co.uk/8-c…le/
    metal candles are much stronger and dont burn as quick in fact they are buggers to light
    Woodwick are the best ive tried,instant aroma and even burn with no waste.You can even use the jar as a vase or plant pot.From the Yankee candle collection i found every one ive used from last years elevation range gave a very good scent throw.Stronger than the usual collection. Sweet nectare blossom is on another level beautiful.Ive tried about 4 and theyre all great.There are still some large elevation candles available on home bargains site at just 10.00,everywhere else does them about 17.00 and higher.
's avatar
Top Merchants