Groups

Does anyone smell thier food before eating?

My girlfriend says im a wierdo for smelling all my food (hers, my mums, restraunts ect... ) before eating it.

I do this with every piece of food, even if ive eat it before.

She thinks its ignorant when i smell the food she makes, as if shes done something bad to the food she says.

So does anyone else smell thier food?

29 Comments

Nope, I only smell food if it's near it's use by date.

Banned

yes i did, but i try not to, it was hard work but dont tend to now

Supermod

If I go to a restaurant I will smell it but I wouldnt make a song and dance. Just to take it in.

my dad does this with everything even biscuits lol

its just a habit

lol you sound exactly like my 16yr old son it drives me mad but i think its part of enjoying his food if he doesnt like the smell of it he wont eat it makes sense really hehe.

Banned

it's bad manners to smell food.

Only with cheese - if it smells I wont eat it.

No that i'm aware off, Maybe shes pe'ed off at the way you sniff??

Is it like the way a dog sniffs "snif,sniff,sniff" - which would be bad

or

Is it more like "Ahh Bisto!!"(Smile) - which would be good.

rosalie;6216858

lol you sound exactly like my 16yr old son it drives me mad but i think … lol you sound exactly like my 16yr old son it drives me mad but i think its part of enjoying his food if he doesnt like the smell of it he wont eat it makes sense really hehe.

my dd does - it use to worry me - so glad this was posted and comments made:thumbsup:

I dont smell my food but for some strange reason when I eat out I always smell my cutlery lol - I honestly do !!!!! Then I give it a good clean with my napkin

Original Poster

SPAMDOG;6216868

No that i'm aware off, Maybe shes pe'ed off at the way you sniff??Is it … No that i'm aware off, Maybe shes pe'ed off at the way you sniff??Is it like the way a dog sniffs "snif,sniff,sniff" - which would be bad orIs it more like "Ahh Bisto!!"(Smile) - which would be good.

The dog way :-D:oops:

i smell everything...that way you know kinda what its gonna taste like

Everybody smells their food before eating - though I think it odd behavior to put your nostrils right upon the food and draw it in.

Do you sniff it on the way out as well?:whistling:

robtallica;6216919

Everybody smells their food before eating - though I think it odd … Everybody smells their food before eating - though I think it odd behavior to put your nostrils right upon the food and draw it in.

matt doesnt stick his nose to his plate will bring the first forkful of each foodstuff and smell before putting in mouth then eats as normal

I would,nt put anything in my mouth without smelling it first

robtallica;6216919

Everybody smells their food before eating - though I think it odd … Everybody smells their food before eating - though I think it odd behavior to put your nostrils right upon the food and draw it in.

:giggle::giggle: am sending u some floral rep for that lol

I always smell my food along with cutlery, crockery, not so long ago I purchased a bottle of water from the grocery store opened it and on smelling it returned it straight away due to a stale smell. Replacement was the same all stock was removed from the shelf.
    My grandson who is 6 yrs old also smells his food.

How is this bad manners?

very bad manners - and to smell other peoples? if you were at my table you'd be liable for a slap round your dish!!!

though i do love the smell (more than the taste strangely) of thorntons vanilla fudge

scrumpypaul;6217017

very bad manners - and to smell other peoples? if you were at my table … very bad manners - and to smell other peoples? if you were at my table you'd be liable for a slap round your dish!!!

:giggle::giggle:

nikkib123;6217040

No your right - thats just weird!:p

:giggle: brilliant!!!!

yep i do and clothes, loo roll (only my own), towels

Carrekei;6217014

I always smell my food along with cutlery, crockery, not so long ago I … I always smell my food along with cutlery, crockery, not so long ago I purchased a bottle of water from the grocery store opened it and on smelling it returned it straight away due to a stale smell. Replacement was the same all stock was removed from the shelf.My grandson who is 6 yrs old also smells his food.How is this bad manners?

It's nigh-on involuntary by the sounds of it, it's not bad manners but I can fully understand if someone saw that as rather odd. I only really have the one rule: if I'm eating a meal out I check the cutlery is clean - and make sure I then retain the same cutlery for the whole meal out.

I always smell the milk after I take it out of the fridge... It is a habit now. I believe it goes back to the 70's though before homogonised milk. I used to hate the cream on the top and milk went off more often.

My Hubby always used to smell his food too - but then if you saw what his mum grew in her fridge - you would too - lol.

There are times when I smell my food - ie meat... If it doesn't smell right then I'll bin it - especially chicken or fish.

The sense of smell is natures way of protecting you from rotting food - amongst other things - I think it's a natural response to want to smell your food, but it's not socially acceptable to make a big deal about it.

is your nose of an akward size?

my 4 yr old nephew does but he's a freak

Banned

Carrekei;6217014

I always smell my food along with cutlery, crockery, not so long ago I … I always smell my food along with cutlery, crockery, not so long ago I purchased a bottle of water from the grocery store opened it and on smelling it returned it straight away due to a stale smell. Replacement was the same all stock was removed from the shelf.My grandson who is 6 yrs old also smells his food.

Well it would have a stale smell its stagnant water. But bottled water has a best before of 3yrs+ from new.

2 of my mates smells fruit, veg, fish, cheese, meat and many other things before buying at their local supermarket. They are experience head chefs so I guess we should be doing the same...
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Microsoft approve Hyperkin's remake of the OG Xbox controller66
      2. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17866382
      3. word association Game74044544
      4. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2468

See more discussions