Does anyone still read paper books?

Found 9th Apr 2009
Especially true life stories?

Can anyone recommend any? Like foreign prison stories or similar?

And any particular Martina Cole books that stand out? There are so many good reviews on them!

I have listed my own collection of books for sale/trade on here at least 3 times and have only managed to swap one book! Everyone seems to ignore my thread in favour of the computer games and iPhones LOL!

1. Misc
  2. Book
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Book
49 Comments

I still read paper books although not in the same genre you're interested in, while I like the idea of ebooks they always seem to be more expensive than the paper books...

John

I love reading - wish I had more time to!!

Banned

marching powder by rusty young i think

about an english man jailed in south american jail la paz....true story and i couldnt put it down

prison is not like ours its like an open thingy with family n apartments inside

cant recommend this book highly enough

i love true life stories.....asda do a good range of paperbacks for under £4 ...about kids that have been abused in various ways ....very harrowing and sad

Original Poster

casparwhite;4880666

marching powder by rusty young i think about an english man jailed in … marching powder by rusty young i think about an english man jailed in south american jail la paz....true story and i couldnt put it downprison is not like ours its like an open thingy with family n apartments insidecant recommend this book highly enough

I have read that one and 'Welcome to Hell' also, which was very interesting. Am maybe looking for a female's experience, like 'Forget you had a daughter'

queenlush;4880671

i love true life stories.....asda do a good range of paperbacks for under … i love true life stories.....asda do a good range of paperbacks for under £4 ...about kids that have been abused in various ways ....very harrowing and sad

I read the books so quickly and they just all pile up so I try and stick to the library now, that's why I would like to swap some, too.
I have read so many abuse ones, I am after something a bit different - really enjoyed Torey Hayden's books and Cathy Glass.

You want to read Maching Powder by Rusty Young. Thats a great book about a foreign prison.

Edit: Oh

problem is, you can pick a bunch of books up at a car boot sale for pennies so you will never get good money for books on line

we all read lots of books in our house and have a huge collection Personally I like true crime and I particularly like to read in a hot bubbly bath after a hard day at work - even if/when they make a water proof laptop to read an e-book on, I think I'll stll stick with paper.

I will stick with paper books. I hate reading anything on screen, even reports for work.

Original Poster

DonnaDoop;4880739

we all read lots of books in our house and have a huge collection we all read lots of books in our house and have a huge collection Personally I like true crime and I particularly like to read in a hot bubbly bath after a hard day at work - even if/when they make a water proof laptop to read an e-book on, I think I'll stll stick with paper.

I read true crime in the bath, too! LOL!

Have you read 'Monster', about Josef Fritzl (the Austrian guy who kept his daughter in the cellar for 24 years)?

And 'Kids that kill' was also very interesting, looking at the background of killers, such as Jamie Bulger's murderers

Banned

Mrs.Z;4880696

I have read that one and 'Welcome to Hell' also, which was very … I have read that one and 'Welcome to Hell' also, which was very interesting. Am maybe looking for a female's experience, like 'Forget you had a daughter'I read the books so quickly and they just all pile up so I try and stick to the library now, that's why I would like to swap some, too.I have read so many abuse ones, I am after something a bit different - really enjoyed Torey Hayden's books and Cathy Glass.

good books them, also try

damage done by warren fellows

another excellent read about prison in thailand

Original Poster

mosskeeto;4880722

problem is, you can pick a bunch of books up at a car boot sale for … problem is, you can pick a bunch of books up at a car boot sale for pennies so you will never get good money for books on line

That's why I don't know what to do with them, would prefer to do swaps really.
May have to drop them at a charity shop at this rate, thought I would try and get some books back in return first :thumbsup:
I very rarely visit car boot sales, I usually buy from Amazon, if anywhere where you can buy books from about £2.75 including postage

a book swap shop would actually be a good idea

Original Poster

casparwhite;4880831

good books them, also trydamage done by warren fellows another excellent … good books them, also trydamage done by warren fellows another excellent read about prison in thailand

Aah, I have read that too!

That the one where he gets conned out of a lot of money and ends up in a fight and then gets done for murder?

Original Poster

queenlush;4880852

Yeah it would, I wonder if there is something like this online? :thinking:

EDIT: ]http//ww…spx

Banned

Mrs.Z;4880855

Aah, I have read that too!That the one where he gets conned out of a lot … Aah, I have read that too!That the one where he gets conned out of a lot of money and ends up in a fight and then gets done for murder?

guy gets done for smuggling heroin.,.....12 years in monkey house

queenlush;4880852

have you tried this website
readitswapit.co.uk
ooops too late

Original Poster

casparwhite;4880899

guy gets done for smuggling heroin.,.....12 years in monkey house

I know I have definitely read it, must be getting confused with another book :thinking:

Original Poster

Angelstar;4880911

have you tried this website http://readitswapit.co.ukooops too late

Yeah but I typed in 'forget you had a daughter' and it wasn't available so kinda gave up on it for now!

Mrs.Z;4880696

I have read so many abuse ones, I am after something a bit different - … I have read so many abuse ones, I am after something a bit different - really enjoyed Torey Hayden's books and Cathy Glass.

have you tried shane dunphy his books are similar to these 2 writers :thumbsup:

Hi Mrs.Z , I can reccomend Midnight Express by Billy Hayes. Its a story about a guy who gets sentenced to 30 years in a Turkish jail. There was a movie of the same title.
This is also a great book: Escape: The True Story of the Only Westerner Ever to Break Out of the Bangkok Hilton by David McMillan.

Original Poster

kaits;4881042

Hi Mrs.Z , I can reccomend Midnight Express by Billy Hayes. Its a story … Hi Mrs.Z , I can reccomend Midnight Express by Billy Hayes. Its a story about a guy who gets sentenced to 30 years in a Turkish jail. There was a movie of the same title. This is also a great book: Escape: The True Story of the Only Westerner Ever to Break Out of the Bangkok Hilton by David McMillan.

Will check them out, thanks very much :-D

I have watched Midnight Express a few times - I actually used to own it but it disappeared, excellent movie, though think I will add it to my Lovefilm

Original Poster

fraggle;4881030

have you tried shane dunphy his books are similar to these 2 writers … have you tried shane dunphy his books are similar to these 2 writers :thumbsup:

Will definitely be checking them out, thank you :-D

casparwhite;4880831

good books them, also trydamage done by warren fellows another excellent … good books them, also trydamage done by warren fellows another excellent read about prison in thailand

recommended , great book

Personally , YES, I do still read paper books.
Not as many as I should do of course, not now that you get audio books so easily, but I did happen across a Discworld novel in Poundland the other day, so happily picked that up, havent got very far into it, but just like the rest of the DW series, it is sure to be a winner (Last hero, for those intrested :p)

Mike..

Mrs.Z;4880946

Yeah but I typed in 'forget you had a daughter' and it wasn't available … Yeah but I typed in 'forget you had a daughter' and it wasn't available so kinda gave up on it for now!

i'm hooked on dorothy koomson at the moment very good read x x x

Banned

I saw you thread they all look good book's x x

Original Poster

DLM;4881689

I saw you thread they all look good book's x x

Yeah they are, but I ain't likely to read them again - wanna buy some? :-D

Original Poster

Angelstar;4881559

i'm hooked on dorothy koomson at the moment very good read x x x

Doesn't look like my kind of thing, thanks though

Banned

Mrs.Z;4881842

Yeah they are, but I ain't likely to read them again - wanna buy some? :-D

I might do x x

Original Poster

Have reserved some Shane Dunphy, Martina Cole, Midnight Express and Angela's Ashes that I never got round to reading :-D

i read loads of books and can recommend ladykiller by m cole it was fab
i love tess gerritson for crime reading she is a great writer
jodi picoult is great too and really draws you in
mark gimenez the abduction is a great read

Original Poster

starsparkle2311;4883371

Hi Mrs.ZI love Martina Cole books.The first I read was Ladykiller, really … Hi Mrs.ZI love Martina Cole books.The first I read was Ladykiller, really good, I read it in 3 days that's how good I found it to be.I read Close last week, I didn't think much of it, not one of her best.I'm reading Faces at the moment and it seems good so far.One book I didn't like too much was Two Women, I cried at the end, more out of relief than anything.Some of her books can be pretty harrowing.Check out this website http://www.martinacole.co.uk/twowomen.htm

Ladykiller is the one I have reserved to read next! I first read Maura's Game, not realising that it was a follow up to Dangerous Lady, which I am reading now.
I think I remember that the reviews on 'Faces' were pretty rubbish on Amazon

alfie and harrys mum;4883406

i read loads of books and can recommend ladykiller by m cole it was fabi … i read loads of books and can recommend ladykiller by m cole it was fabi love tess gerritson for crime reading she is a great writerjodi picoult is great too and really draws you in mark gimenez the abduction is a great read

Will check those authors out, too - thanks. I have heard of Jodi Picoult but was never into fiction books until I gave Martina Cole a try, after years of persuading by my Mother in Law, who has awaited the release of each of her books for as long as I can remember :-D

Original Poster

Either of you got any books to swap?

If so, please check out my FS/FT thread and see if there's anything you fancy :thumbsup:

Hey Mrs Z.

I would recommend you get a million little piece by James frey if you really want to read true life stories. I have just finished it and on his second one now.

Original Poster

BlondeBella;4884284

Hey Mrs Z.I would recommend you get a million little piece by James frey … Hey Mrs Z.I would recommend you get a million little piece by James frey if you really want to read true life stories. I have just finished it and on his second one now.

will definitely take a looksee, thank you

I feel your pain, try to sell a book and you get blanked, put up a game and everyone jumps at it lol, but seriously, read The Hobbit.

Original Poster

Smeagol I feel your pain, try to sell a book and you get blanked, put up a game and everyone jumps at it lol, but seriously, read The Hobbit.

lol this still going then ?....i think it would be hard to sell books on here because they are so cheap to buy now...i didn't see your swap one which is a great idea

Original Poster

queenlush;4885166

lol this still going then ?....i think it would be hard to sell books on … lol this still going then ?....i think it would be hard to sell books on here because they are so cheap to buy now...i didn't see your swap one which is a great idea

I put that I would swap in the same thread, and I stated swaps last time

And I only asked £2.49 each, that's cheaper than eBay or Amazon Marketplace!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Travelling from London Stadium after an event11
    2. Dog advice please. Think my Labrador is dying after catching the cold44
    3. School shoes - with lights66
    4. Incorrect Amazon refunds - how can I make sure they don't owe me any more m…79

See more discussions