Groups

Does anyone work as a waiter/waitress?

I am thinking about getting a part time job in a restaurant, as i need to save up for a car and insurance ect and i am thinking becoming a waiter may be the best option.

I believe that most restaurants pay minimum wage and you make most of your money in tips. So if anyone is working/worked as a waiter/waitress could you please tell me on average how much money you make on tips a night?

34 Comments

i had my first job at 14 as a waitress i got £4 an hour, i then went to work in a bookshop at 16 I finished there at 19 on £5.63, I am now at McDonalds earning about £4.36 per hour and i'm 20.
    I made about £30 tips a month as all the tips were shared out...

I personally believe my weekend job in the bookshop has been the best!(I got about £270 a month, I now get £270 a a fortnight working full time!) hope this helps! xx

i get 5.15 an hour an no tips

i used to do this years ago, was about min wage and all the tips we're shared between us - so not a whole lot. I think it depends where you are, the type of resturant etc. I was just at an iccle cafe.

Original Poster

maddness007;2841498

i get 5.15 an hour an no tips

Where do you work?

And why no tips?

Original Poster

MissRoo;2841518

i used to do this years ago, was about min wage and all the tips we're … i used to do this years ago, was about min wage and all the tips we're shared between us - so not a whole lot. I think it depends where you are, the type of resturant etc. I was just at an iccle cafe.

I am planning to get a job in an expensive restaurant. The more expensive the meal, the more the bill payer will be willing to tip:thumbsup: - well thats the way i look at it anyway.

I've heard that Damons is good for tips, my next door neighbour's daughter worked there and she said she used to make a fortune each month in tips, worked full time and was coming home with about £1000 each month. I realise however that there aren't many Damons branches around the country so hit and miss as to whether this would be any good for you, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

Personally, and sorry to sound like a snob here, I can't think of anything worse than being a waiter/waitress as it seems such hard work and you rarely get any thanks, but good luck anyway.

Original Poster

dcx_badass;2841537

@ The Op.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arUqoKjU3D4.

:roll:

Original Poster

Annie1508;2841548

I've heard that Damons is good for tips, my next door neighbour's … I've heard that Damons is good for tips, my next door neighbour's daughter worked there and she said she used to make a fortune each month in tips, worked full time and was coming home with about £1000 each month. I realise however that there aren't many Damons branches around the country so hit and miss as to whether this would be any good for you, but thought I'd mention it just in case.Personally, and sorry to sound like a snob here, I can't think of anything worse than being a waiter/waitress as it seems such hard work and you rarely get any thanks, but good luck anyway.

Cheers for the tip but there is not a Damons near me. Around my area there are ALOT of fancy restaurants (like £50 for a bottle of wine:roll:) so surely the tips must be fairly decent in that kind of restaurant?

The JFK;2841545

I am planning to get a job in an expensive restaurant. The more expensive … I am planning to get a job in an expensive restaurant. The more expensive the meal, the more the bill payer will be willing to tip:thumbsup: - well thats the way i look at it anyway.

yes, thats the kind of point i was making. I believe some nights you would be able to get a fairly good amount.. but it always depends how generous the person is feeling! or how much they are drinking! hehe

Annie1508;2841548

Personally, and sorry to sound like a snob here, I can't think of … Personally, and sorry to sound like a snob here, I can't think of anything worse than being a waiter/waitress as it seems such hard work and you rarely get any thanks, but good luck anyway.

Thats why I didnt stay doing it, i thought alot of people could be rather rude when there was no need, it wasnt a nice environment either.
    However as the OP has stated, a higher class of resturant will have posher guests - so better behaved perhaps? I hope.

yimmie;2841482

i had my first job at 14 as a waitress i got £4 an hour, i then went to … i had my first job at 14 as a waitress i got £4 an hour, i then went to work in a bookshop at 16 I finished there at 19 on £5.63, I am now at McDonalds earning about £4.36 per hour and i'm 20.I made about £30 tips a month as all the tips were shared out...I personally believe my weekend job in the bookshop has been the best!(I got about £270 a month, I now get £270 a a fortnight working full time!) hope this helps! xx

do you have a tips jar like

Disco;2841619

i remember ours was a jar

Disco;2841619

the tips were collected by the front of house staff, to then be shared out according to which shifts you worked or something... all seemed weird. but, no tip jar, it was a case of leaving the tips with your receipt book thing... and the waitressing staff didn't get anything there and then. we had didn't handle the money nor did we take orders... we just gave the food...

the current place the 'tips' go to charity.

have you thought about barmaid at a local pub, i used to be all my tips were my own used to get about £30-40 extra a week through tips and that was doing 5 nights a week and a double shift on sat, the shifts were only 4 hours long used to make a fortune at crimbo

Why is it that people tip at restaurants?

peodude;2841800

Why is it that people tip at restaurants?

do you?

i do, i work it on the quality of food and service in accordance to how much change we got

The JFK;2841545

I am planning to get a job in an expensive restaurant. The more expensive … I am planning to get a job in an expensive restaurant. The more expensive the meal, the more the bill payer will be willing to tip:thumbsup: - well thats the way i look at it anyway.

But I would assume you will need at least some experience to be hired at a high class/expensive restaurant.

i've just finished a management training course with frankie and benny's, and as part of the training i had to be a waiter for 3 weeks to learn the ins and outs.
    i reckon i made at least £50 a shift in tips....but i know some of the guys made nearly £100 at the weekend!! i almost dont want to be a manager now,cause the tips were so good lol.:thumbsup:

yimmie;2841841

do you?i do, i work it on the quality of food and service in accordance … do you?i do, i work it on the quality of food and service in accordance to how much change we got

i dont, based on that the waiter/waitress is getting a wage, i work hard for my wages,i get minimum wage but get no tips for doing so

Original Poster

Slash;2841853

But I would assume you will need at least some experience to be hired at … But I would assume you will need at least some experience to be hired at a high class/expensive restaurant.

I can charm them with my looks:thumbsup:

Or lie on my CV:oops:

The JFK;2841924

Or lie on my CV:oops:

Hope they don't ask you for references. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Slash;2842008

Hope they don't ask you for references. :thumbsup:

Same:oops::thumbsup:

I am very good at 'selling myself' though so hopefully the lack of experience will be irrelevant.

Maybe waiting isn't the only option. One month you might get loads of tips, and the next you might not get as much. Whereas other jobs will pay you a bit higher, and you'll be getting the same secured amount each month? Think about it. It probably averages out..

But also, don't just think about short term goals - making money for your insurance. Think about long term goals, like maybe get a job in the industry you think you might be interested in getting into in the future. Either way, you'll be getting money and one job might look better than the other on your CV.

yimmie;2841841

do you?

I don't no, as lou says below, they have already been paid once, even if it is mimimum wage, i also am on minimum wage.

loupomm;2841900

i dont, based on that the waiter/waitress is getting a wage, i work hard … i dont, based on that the waiter/waitress is getting a wage, i work hard for my wages,i get minimum wage but get no tips for doing so

Exactly. what does the waitress do, ask what food you want, and bring it to you. THAT'S THEIR JOB! The people who work in supermarkets are on minimum wage, do you tip the person on the deli for being helpful with a meat selection? Or the person on the checkouts for scanning your stuff? NO!

So, please, do tell, what makes a waiter/waitress different from every other service you recieve, but don't tip for?

Original Poster

Issue One;2842071

Maybe waiting isn't the only option. One month you might get loads of … Maybe waiting isn't the only option. One month you might get loads of tips, and the next you might not get as much. Whereas other jobs will pay you a bit higher, and you'll be getting the same secured amount each month? Think about it. It probably averages out..But also, don't just think about short term goals - making money for your insurance. Think about long term goals, like maybe get a job in the industry you think you might be interested in getting into in the future. Either way, you'll be getting money and one job might look better than the other on your CV.

I only want a short term job, up until Christmas really. I am still at school and taking my A Levels and not really sure what i want to do after school. I would really like to do something in sport but i don't think by working in a sports shop will be beneficial :p. I just really want a job that pays well short term.

Original Poster

peodude;2842094

Exactly. what does the waitress do, ask what food you want, and bring it … Exactly. what does the waitress do, ask what food you want, and bring it to you. THAT'S THEIR JOB! The people who work in supermarkets are on minimum wage, do you tip the person on the deli for being helpful with a meat selection? Or the person on the checkouts for scanning your stuff? NO!So, please, do tell, what makes a waiter/waitress different from every other service you recieve, but don't tip for?

I don't usually tip, however alot of people do, hence why i am thinking about becoming a waiter.

The JFK;2842123

I would really like to do something in sport but i don't think by working … I would really like to do something in sport but i don't think by working in a sports shop will be beneficial :p.

Don't underestimate the power of working at places like that!

Original Poster

Issue One;2842141

Don't underestimate the power of working at places like that!

Why?

To be fair, although i am of a young age i already have an impessive CV. TBH i don't know anyone of my age that would have a better one. I don't really see how working in a sports shop will improve it.

babyxxxxx;2841737

have you thought about barmaid at a local pub

I have...:)

Original Poster

babyxxxxx;2841737

have you thought about barmaid at a local pub

I am male:oops:

And don't you have to be 18 to work behind the bar?

Good idea to target the posh restaurants imo, as even if youre on min wage the tips should be way more than your average greasy spoon :thumbsup:

The JFK;2841525

Where do you work? And why no tips?

in a hotel, i dont get tips because its more like confrences and wedings and stuff

Original Poster

Cheers for the response people.

Another question is how do you go about getting a job in a restaurant?

I have never seen waitor jobs advertised in the local paper, so do you just go into the restaurants and ask?

Banned

The JFK;2846694

Cheers for the response people. Another question is how do you go about … Cheers for the response people. Another question is how do you go about getting a job in a restaurant?I have never seen waitor jobs advertised in the local paper, so do you just go into the restaurants and ask?

how are you finding being a waitress? is it working out well?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Unexpected house guest query (Ratatouille)12
      2. Ditched Sky1012
      3. Ap on iPhone ios1122
      4. Easyjet - book now or wait?712

See more discussions