Does app use less data to web page?

Found 12th Aug 2017
I have the galaxy note 4 which is a big enough screen to access web pages without the need for using their apps. However I have read that apps use less data than the corresponding web page. Is this correct?

I have always accessed HUKD web page on the go but I wonder if I should download the app and use that instead on my phone as it uses less data if this is actually true?

How much less data are we talking about here anyone know? 70% less data on the app to the web page?
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
In my experience browsing websites uses so little data compared to updating, watching videos etc that in this day and age of GB and not MB of data it's not worth thinking about.
For a app like HUKD, it would use less data has all it's doing it fetching a list of deals and there images... using the web would require it to load the same as above and also there supporting files that make up the visual designs and scripts that make up the behavoiur.

i would test this by checking your setting app for data use per app for HUKD and chrome.
Entirely depends on the app. Facebook app consumes huge amounts of data compared to the website. Use Opera mini app to browse as this saves far more data than Chrome etc
The reason I ask this question is because I have been on holiday and I used my phone to tether for gmail. I used gmail web page to write emails and it used nearly 1GB of data in about 4 hours! When I use the apps on my phone, including gmail and HUKD web page for 4 hours, it uses a few hundred MB.

So I googled if tethering uses more data than using your phone and the answer is yes because the web pages uses more data than the app. This would indicate that the gmail web page must use 2 or 3 times more data than the app?
I think there must have been other things going on (for example, maybe your computer was downloading updates to Windows/programs in the background). There's no way that you could use 1GB of data just writing emails for a few hours, regardless of how you do it.

The danger with tethering is that from the perspective of your computer, it's just another internet connection - so it does all the things that it would usually do.
mutley11 h, 7 m ago

The reason I ask this question is because I have been on holiday and I …The reason I ask this question is because I have been on holiday and I used my phone to tether for gmail. I used gmail web page to write emails and it used nearly 1GB of data in about 4 hours! When I use the apps on my phone, including gmail and HUKD web page for 4 hours, it uses a few hundred MB.So I googled if tethering uses more data than using your phone and the answer is yes because the web pages uses more data than the app. This would indicate that the gmail web page must use 2 or 3 times more data than the app?

No way would gmail in a browser use 1GB in 4 hours unless your emails had large attachments / pictures and you opened them all. Gmail in a browser wont use any more significant amounts of data than the app.
chocci29 m ago

No way would gmail in a browser use 1GB in 4 hours unless your emails had …No way would gmail in a browser use 1GB in 4 hours unless your emails had large attachments / pictures and you opened them all. Gmail in a browser wont use any more significant amounts of data than the app.

I made sure I did not load photos or download photos on gmail as I thought that may have used heavy data. I did send 2 photos on whatsapp so perhaps that ate the data. I also updated about 3 apps on my phone, so that may have also contributed.

it is comforting to hear that gmail web page does not use that much data.
mutley143 m ago

I made sure I did not load photos or download photos on gmail as I thought …I made sure I did not load photos or download photos on gmail as I thought that may have used heavy data. I did send 2 photos on whatsapp so perhaps that ate the data. I also updated about 3 apps on my phone, so that may have also contributed.it is comforting to hear that gmail web page does not use that much data.

1GB is approximately the size of an entire (SD) film though. Possibly might be the apps depending on what they are, but it's far in excess of what any kind of browsing (other than streaming video for hours) could consume. If it was your phone consuming the data then you could check, but I don't know how that would work for tethered data.
Muir20 m ago

1GB is approximately the size of an entire (SD) film though. Possibly …1GB is approximately the size of an entire (SD) film though. Possibly might be the apps depending on what they are, but it's far in excess of what any kind of browsing (other than streaming video for hours) could consume. If it was your phone consuming the data then you could check, but I don't know how that would work for tethered data.

this is the heaviest amount of data that i have used and so i was very surprised when i checked my useage. normally i only use about 600MB of data on my phone in a month even though I have 2GB of EE 4G data allowance. it is the first time that i have tethered on the 4g data and i only used it to access gmail when i was on holiday. i did look at a few web pages about the area where we were staying but did not download anything and that was only for 15 to 20 minutes so it could not have been that.
mutley14 m ago

this is the heaviest amount of data that i have used and so i was very …this is the heaviest amount of data that i have used and so i was very surprised when i checked my useage. normally i only use about 600MB of data on my phone in a month even though I have 2GB of EE 4G data allowance. it is the first time that i have tethered on the 4g data and i only used it to access gmail when i was on holiday. i did look at a few web pages about the area where we were staying but did not download anything and that was only for 15 to 20 minutes so it could not have been that.

Honestly it sounds like Windows downloaded updates in the background. A computer doesn't expect to be on limited data so it doesn't try to ration it like a phone does, instead it will do things in the background to try to save time. If your normal phone data consumption is alright (600MB is very light, so no problems there), I'd just say in the future if you need to tether and you still have a low data allowance, turn tethering off when you have finished doing what you need to do on the computer.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants