Does apple pay work on regular contactless?

Found 26th Sep 2015
Hello,

Simple question does Apple Pay work on regular contactless card readers?

Was at work tonight doing grunt management work when one of my Memeber of staff asked me over because a man was insistent he uses his phone to pay, this member of staff is new and didn't think it would so humouring him we tried it and our contactless card reader displayed the typical contactless logo and his iPhone picked it up and payment done.

This naturally led me to try it on a small purchase £1 and my phone worked too and checked my banking it had left my account. Called head office (bargain booze I should mention) and they panicked said it shouldn't work yet worked fine with our card machines.

Evidentially started a panick in head office and waiting to hear back Monday but it poses the question do my card machines already have NFC requires or do they generally work on any contactless reader
Community Updates
4 Comments
Apple pay will work fine with normal NFC terminals/Contactless reader. It's just subject to the normal limit of £20/£30 nothing dodgy or anything. It's how it works with the Underground etc.

"It’s easy to see where you can use Apple Pay.
Out for a day of shopping? Now you can see if a local shop accepts Apple Pay in the Maps app. Just choose a location and look for the Apple Pay mark. Or look for the Apple Pay mark or contactless symbol at the checkout counter."

This seemed strange to me also as I've heard in order for Apple Pay to work the retailer needed new equipment which specifically supports it.
If it's just regular contactless - why haven't they advertised it as such?
Also - why the need for a specific Apple Pay logo?
jco83

This seemed strange to me also as I've heard in order for Apple Pay to … This seemed strange to me also as I've heard in order for Apple Pay to work the retailer needed new equipment which specifically supports it.If it's just regular contactless - why haven't they advertised it as such?Also - why the need for a specific Apple Pay logo?

Apple Pay supports beyond the £20/£30 limit. That's with the right equipment that's why the upgraded terminals are needed. However the technology is the same as normal nfc but because it has a secure token in your finger print scan the limit is gone.
I can take ApplePay on my little mobile card reader in my car. People are amazed that me, a lowly cabbie can take cards
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants