Does dropping phone void warranty in practice?

12 replies
Found 6th Dec 2016
Hi, good morning

I dropped my Samsung S6 Edge about three months ago lightly denting/badly scratching the bottom of it near the head phone. It has now developed a fault where a single purple line occasionally goes vertically down my screen. I purchased my phone refurbished from mobiles.co.uk who have told me to take it to a carephone warehouse store (it is still in warranty). I have two questions. Firstly, can I expect them to say that the drop caused the faulty regardless of the truth of the matter and secondly the line has now gone again, should I wait for it to return or take it anyhow?

Many thanks, much appreciated

David

12 Comments

In my experience, any damage will give them a reason to blame the fault on it.

I saw a laptop develop a fault with the mobo, but because the hinge had a chip out of it, not only did they give a full cost to repair the mobo out of warranty, but also offered to repair the damage as well for a cost.

I've even seen perfect phones develop a fault, and when it gets to the repair facility, they claim it has water damage.

The only recourse I can see you have is to take it back to the seller for repair/refund. They sold it used, but it still has a reasonable expectation to function as sold.

The line sounds like dead pixels. Probably from a connection issue inside after being dropped. Have you looked into replacing the screen yourself? The screens don't usually cost a great deal and you can pick up the kit to open the inside for a couple quid.

As Infinitesd said, most companies will look to blame the fault on any damage they see to avoid a payout. But it has to be worth getting their opinion. I wouldn't wait until the issue happens again before reporting it though. Get it checked while still in warranty.

Try and take it back. You never know. More than likely, they'll try to get away with not repairing it.

Not if it's a Moto X Force or a Moto Z Force....
Edited by: "jazzuk777" 6th Dec 2016

1 - They can't prove the mark from the drop wasn't done by the previous owner, it's refurbished after all.
2 - Report it asap and have them inspect it, that way if the fault returns outside the warranty you can still claim, due to reporting it while still covered.

Even refurbished items are covered by the sale of goods act, It must be fit for the purpose it was designed for.

dudwood_fudwood

The line sounds like dead pixels. Probably from a connection issue inside … The line sounds like dead pixels. Probably from a connection issue inside after being dropped. Have you looked into replacing the screen yourself? The screens don't usually cost a great deal and you can pick up the kit to open the inside for a couple quid. As Infinitesd said, most companies will look to blame the fault on any damage they see to avoid a payout. But it has to be worth getting their opinion. I wouldn't wait until the issue happens again before reporting it though. Get it checked while still in warranty.

if someone drops a phone and is asking about getting it repaired, I imagine they aren't capable of repairing it on their own

it is a lot cheaper to fix yourself but there is a very high chance of bricking the phone or adding to the damage if fixing yourself, even if you've watched 20 videos and have purchased a kit off ebay..

Original Poster

Thank you all. And thank you PKRichie for the point about proof. I will go into the shop with it and report back.

dataload

if someone drops a phone and is asking about getting it repaired, I … if someone drops a phone and is asking about getting it repaired, I imagine they aren't capable of repairing it on their ownit is a lot cheaper to fix yourself but there is a very high chance of bricking the phone or adding to the damage if fixing yourself, even if you've watched 20 videos and have purchased a kit off ebay..

Worth a suggestion though. At least they can make their mind up then. Jeez.

Original Poster

In fairness, I might look at repairing it if it wasn't in the warranty period, probably not though. But no harm in the suggestion.

dudwood_fudwood

Worth a suggestion though. At least they can make their mind up then. … Worth a suggestion though. At least they can make their mind up then. Jeez.

I wasn't having a go at you, just don't want someone to read it and think "I can probably do it" and then end up with a pile of phone pieces

dataload

I wasn't having a go at you, just don't want someone to read it and think … I wasn't having a go at you, just don't want someone to read it and think "I can probably do it" and then end up with a pile of phone pieces

Fair enough. I think I'm just so used to people whinging on here I got defensive.

Original Poster

Just to update that the CPW ultimately replaced my phone as it couldn't be repaired. Apparently the replacement wasn't required by warranty so was a goodwill gesture
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland2149
    2. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…18216636
    3. Hope of a cure for asthma711
    4. Happy Bandi Chorr Diwas and Happy Diwali!1011

See more discussions