Groups

Does "fully Comped" mean all expenses will be paid if an accident occurs in someone elses vehicle?

As above, what's the deal with this?

20 Comments

I think with fully comprehensive insurance you are covered to drive another vehicle (as long as you don't own it) but you are only covered 3rd party whilst driving it.....

Fully comp covers most things, but you need to read the small print for exclusions. Not all actually cover you to drive another persons car, also you will probably need to agree to some level of excess. ]This site can help you understand the difference between policy types.

Fully comp is for the car insured, if driving another persons car - normally only covered 3rd party - i.e, they will fix other car if your fault but not the one you are driving..... i think!

MANJ_007;4712879

Fully comp is for the car insured, if driving another persons car - … Fully comp is for the car insured, if driving another persons car - normally only covered 3rd party - i.e, they will fix other car if your fault but not the one you are driving..... i think!

+1

Original Poster

MANJ_007;4712879

Fully comp is for the car insured, if driving another persons car - … Fully comp is for the car insured, if driving another persons car - normally only covered 3rd party - i.e, they will fix other car if your fault but not the one you are driving..... i think!

That's what my friends insists is the case but someone else says they're 100% sure it's not like that as well (they both insist they're 100% positive), so I thought I'd ask since someone I know was considering borrowing someone elses car.

Any other confirmations, as my other friend thinks they're fully covered if anything happens and I just wanted to make sure incase the car is borrowed or does different insurance companies have different rules for fully comped...as they may both be correct?

realfriendlyman;4712946

That's what my friends insists is the case but someone else says they're … That's what my friends insists is the case but someone else says they're 100% sure it's not like that as well (they both insist they're 100% positive), so I thought I'd ask since someone I know was considering borrowing someone elses car. :)Any other confirmations, as my other friend thinks they're fully covered if anything happens and I just wanted to make sure incase the car is borrowed or does different insurance companies have different rules for fully comped...as they may both be correct?

You will be covered Third Party Only, this will depend on the borrowed vehicle being insured, road worthy and you have owners persmission to drive. Be very careful as it has been known for an accident to happen wrecking the borrowed car and then the owner claims that permission was not given...:thumbsup:

Original Poster

mosskeeto;4712970

You will be covered Third Party Only, this will depend on the borrowed … You will be covered Third Party Only, this will depend on the borrowed vehicle being insured, road worthy and you have owners persmission to drive. Be very careful as it has been known for an accident to happen wrecking the borrowed car and then the owner claims that permission was not given...:thumbsup:

Oh I know the borrowed cars owner won't cause problems like that but obviously they won't be happy having to deal with courtesy cars etc.

I know the car is only a couple years old, fully insured and it's in perfect condition but what does Third Party mean exactly...would they still only cover the other cars repairs or both and would there be any complications?

The person that might borrow the car for the evening is an excellent driver and I'm positive nothing will happen but I just wanted to show proof that the car owner will be covered in a worse case scenario.

Banned

realfriendlyman;4712988

Oh I know the borrowed cars owner won't cause problems like that but … Oh I know the borrowed cars owner won't cause problems like that but obviously they won't be happy having to deal with courtesy cars etc.I know the car is only a couple years old, fully insured and it's in perfect condition but what does Third Party mean exactly...would they still only cover the other cars repairs or both and would there be any complications?

Tesco don't allow you to drive other peoples vehicles whilst fully comp, why don't you ring their insurance company? They vary, it's one of those small prints that no one reads.

As a note, they said they would only insure me 3rd party on another vehicle if it was an emergency life or death situation.

Third party means if he crashes it and it's his fault you lose everything

Banned

Oh and you may find it cheaper, less stressful to just put them on your insurance for a day fully comp :thumbsup:

realfriendlyman;4712988

Oh I know the borrowed cars owner won't cause problems like that but … Oh I know the borrowed cars owner won't cause problems like that but obviously they won't be happy having to deal with courtesy cars etc.I know the car is only a couple years old, fully insured and it's in perfect condition but what does Third Party mean exactly...would they still only cover the other cars repairs or both and would there be any complications?The person that might borrow the car for the evening is an excellent driver and I'm positive nothing will happen but I just wanted to show proof that the car owner will be covered in a worse case scenario.

Also check any other insurance on the vehicle as if this insurance covers the driver as well (ie some company policies cover any driver with company employees permission), then your Comprehensive insurer could end up arguing with the other insurer. In most cases the driver borrowing will use the 3rd party aspect of their comprehensive insurance to cover as the owners policy would not cover any driver.

Hope that makes sense, but its important as our Company cars have this and we have to check the borrowing persons insurance to make sure that there is no overlap.

If you have fully comp and IF your insurance allows you to drive another car with the owners permission, then whilst driving the other car you will only have ]3rd party cover. This means that any repair costs on that car following an accident whilst being driven by you are not covered by the insurance. It is possible to buy short term fully comp insurance that will mitigate this risk.

as others have said, 3rd party (but not always, check first).

You might be able to buy short term comprehensive cover??

Fully comp insurance that let you drive any car with full cover (not just 3rd party) would be both very cool and no doubt very expensive - as you could insure on a Cinquicento and drive around in a Ferrari!

you are probably best checking with your insurnce-and getting them to confirm with an email or fax-peace of mind then. Think different insurers are different.

Original Poster

lucerysmum;4713255

you are probably best checking with your insurnce-and getting them to … you are probably best checking with your insurnce-and getting them to confirm with an email or fax-peace of mind then. Think different insurers are different.

That's what I'm assuming...thanks for the advice, I think it would be wise to call the insurance companies to confirm. :thumbsup:

[url]www.dayinsure.com[/url]
    easy and cheap alternative...

Banned

realfriendlyman;4712946

That's what my friends insists is the case but someone else says they're … That's what my friends insists is the case but someone else says they're 100% sure it's not like that as well (they both insist they're 100% positive), so I thought I'd ask since someone I know was considering borrowing someone elses car.

Would you also believe me when I tell you Arsenal are 100% certain to be relegated next season?

You are covered to drive another vehicle but the insurance is 3rd party only. You break it - you pay for it. The car you deck, will however be covered.

guv;4714031

You are covered to drive another vehicle but the insurance is 3rd party … You are covered to drive another vehicle but the insurance is 3rd party only. You break it - you pay for it. The car you deck, will however be covered.

No 3rd party cover with many insurance companies to drive other vehicles, even if having fully comp insurance, it really is a case of checking your policy to verify one way or the other.

Original Poster

guv;4714031

Would you also believe me when I tell you Arsenal are 100% certain to be … Would you also believe me when I tell you Arsenal are 100% certain to be relegated next season?You are covered to drive another vehicle but the insurance is 3rd party only. You break it - you pay for it. The car you deck, will however be covered.

That's what my other friend seems to think is the case exactly as that but it may be dependant on the individuals policy.

Would you believe me if I had told you Spurs were going to struggle against relegation for majority of the season? :giggle:

Quality teams always come out strong at the end of the season. :thumbsup:

Also note that you are not covered to drive someone else's car until you have contacted your insurance company and they agree they will cover you (this is to stop motorist 'driving' somebody else's car that is not insured IE getting it home for them etc;)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …110236
      2. Are these two things distinctly different to you?31122
      3. New Nintendo 3DS XL – SNES Edition available in UK from October22
      4. How dangerous is Donald trump?34215

See more discussions