Expired

Does google chrome on Samsung galaxy s4 back and forward buttons or gestures?

Found 17th Aug 2013
Just got an s4 and using google chrome as the browser. Wanted to go back a page and realised it doesn't have a button for this! Is there a simple gesture I'm missing, had a quick search of it and can't seem to find any information so I'm sure there's a simple answer!
Community Updates
AskSamsungSamsung Galaxy
18 Comments
I have a nexus 4 , if its the same its top right under the 3 boxes? forward/ back as arrows?
Original Poster
richmond

I have a nexus 4 , if its the same its top right under the 3 boxes? … I have a nexus 4 , if its the same its top right under the 3 boxes? forward/ back as arrows?

Hmm I may be blind but I can't seem to see it! Maybe it is different or something! Thanks for the help though
Edited by: "Jade49" 17th Aug 2013
Banned
Top right hand side is the menu drop down (the 3 little boxes richmond mentions). There's back and forward buttons there. Or just going back with the phone controls buttons (but I use PIE) also works, IIRC.
Original Poster
rick77

Top right hand side is the menu drop down (the 3 little boxes richmond … Top right hand side is the menu drop down (the 3 little boxes richmond mentions). There's back and forward buttons there. Or just going back with the phone controls buttons (but I use PIE) also works, IIRC.

Thanks but for some reason the menu button isn't there and there's no back button on the phone haha! I can't even work out how to change settings ect on chrome or create the bookmarks and I'm sure there's a way to do that! Must be something to so with this version of android or something as could work it fine on my old phone!
Banned
The bookmark star is next to the back and forward buttons in that menu, as is the settings sub menu!
Banned
You don't have that in the top right?

http://i40.tinypic.com/2dkal4w.png
Banned
And this is the menu you'd see with the buttons and bookmark star if you press the menu/settings button (3 squares)...

http://i42.tinypic.com/2mq5jz8.png

If you don't see this in Chrome on your S4 then I have no idea, I'm afraid. Someone else with an S4 will surely tip up. Chrome's always looked the same on every droid that I've had though.
Original Poster
rick77

You don't have that in the top right?

Thanks for all the help but for some reason none of that's there the only thing that's there is the address bar and the tab button. I know chrome has worked the same on every other android phone or tablet I've had no I'm very confused haha! Might put s4 in the title
Banned
Don't know then, I'm afraid.

I can also get to settings in apps by using the settings button in my PIE controls, but I'm assuming you're running your S4 as it came, if you only just got it? The PIE controls are part of my ROM (Paranoid Android). I don't know if there's a dedicated settings (soft) button on the S4 that you could use in apps, as I don't have one myself.

Fiddle and I'm sure you'll sort it. Try a different browser if it's driving you nuts. Out of mainstream ones I highly recommend Opera in any of its incarnations. Firefox and Dolphin aren't bad either.
on my nexus 4? when I scroll down the page the menu disappear s? try scrolling up? sorry if this sounds stupid, but I did it! this Google phone has taken ages to get use too.
Original Poster
rick77

Don't know then, I'm afraid.I can also get to settings in apps by using … Don't know then, I'm afraid.I can also get to settings in apps by using the settings button in my PIE controls, but I'm assuming you're running your S4 as it came, if you only just got it? The PIE controls are part of my ROM (Paranoid Android). I don't know if there's a dedicated settings (soft) button on the S4 that you could use in apps, as I don't have one myself.Fiddle and I'm sure you'll sort it. Try a different browser if it's driving you nuts. Out of mainstream ones I highly recommend Opera in any of its incarnations. Firefox and Dolphin aren't bad either.

Thanks I'm sure I'll work it out eventually! Might download opera to try out anyway thanks very much for all the help
Chrome has been messed about on the S4 thanks to Samsung, but it is there as pictured on one of the above posts.
Banned
Jade49

Thanks I'm sure I'll work it out eventually! Might download opera to try … Thanks I'm sure I'll work it out eventually! Might download opera to try out anyway thanks very much for all the help

YW.
press the hidden button on the left beside the home button , this will bring up a menu which gives you back, forward, bookmarks , history etc

if you want to just go back to previous page them press hidden button (return) on the right beside home button at bottom.
Edited by: "Mandz27" 17th Aug 2013
Original Poster
Mandz27

press the hidden button on the left beside the home button , this will … press the hidden button on the left beside the home button , this will bring up a menu which gives you back, forward, bookmarks , history etcif you want to just go back to previous page them press hidden button (return) on the right beside home button at bottom.

Thanks so much I'm such a numpty didn't even realise thee was hidden buttons there been playing with it all day and didn't even realise thought there was no menu option on anything! Feel right a right idiot now haha thanks for the help anyway
Jade49

Thanks so much I'm such a numpty didn't even realise thee was hidden … Thanks so much I'm such a numpty didn't even realise thee was hidden buttons there been playing with it all day and didn't even realise thought there was no menu option on anything! Feel right a right idiot now haha thanks for the help anyway

You're welcome, any additional in app menus/settings are normally accessed using the left button , the right one is just a back button.
Original Poster
Mandz27

You're welcome, any additional in app menus/settings are normally … You're welcome, any additional in app menus/settings are normally accessed using the left button , the right one is just a back button.

Yeh thanks worked that out now haha! May have been helpful if I'd read the instuctions and realised they were there haha!
Omg Thank you for this post!! I was going crazy not knowing how to go back a page! Why in the WORLD would you have a hidden button? Anyway, thanks for the info that the back button is hidden and to the right of the home button on the bottom of the phone! ! Forums ROCK!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions