Expired

Does it look like I have avoided customs charges?

Found 16th Dec 2011
Hello, so I have a parcel that was sent to me from Japan, and was wondering if by the information below it looks like I won't get charged by customs?

16-12-2011 18:31 National Hub Received and processed
16-12-2011 10:19 International Hub Received in destination country
14-12-2011 13:27 TOKYO INT BAG Forwarded for export
13-12-2011 11:20 Delivery Agent - JAPAN Collected from customer

I see some other people have "International Hub Awaiting Customs clearance " before "National Hub Received and processed". Does it look like I've avoided customs fees?
Community Updates
Misc
38 Comments
Nope you may still get charges
The customs will be applied when it gets here and by the look of it it has not left japan
Looks like you're going to prison...
g1bbuk

Looks like you're going to prison...

+1

Pack your bags and leave the country. Dont go to Japan, they will be expecting you there at the border.
Whoever is delivering it will charge you the customs fees. You'll just have to wait and see. Unfortunately it will be the customs fees + a handling charge. £6 or something if it's arriving by Royal Mail.
how much did you pay btw, ive bought stuff over 100 and not had to pay anything, ive heard if you get things sent via ems shipping you have a better chance of avoiding fees?
mosskeeto

The customs will be applied when it gets here and by the look of it it … The customs will be applied when it gets here and by the look of it it has not left japan

You read the wrong way around; bottom is oldest, top status is newest. It was received into the country (UK) today.
"16-12-2011 10:19 International Hub Received in destination country"

oldmanhouse

Whoever is delivering it will charge you the customs fees. You'll just … Whoever is delivering it will charge you the customs fees. You'll just have to wait and see. Unfortunately it will be the customs fees + a handling charge. £6 or something if it's arriving by Royal Mail.

It's being delivered by Parcelforce and their Express 24 service.

splatsplatsplat

how much did you pay btw, ive bought stuff over 100 and not had to pay … how much did you pay btw, ive bought stuff over 100 and not had to pay anything, ive heard if you get things sent via ems shipping you have a better chance of avoiding fees?

I paid about £154 but asked the guy to mark it down and as a gift. It was sent by EMS.

Edited by: "Breadboy" 16th Dec 2011
reported
SkinnyPanda

reported

LMAO. You can't do that. The information given would be insufficient. But thanks for the laugh.
Parcelforce will probably send a bill to you in the post. Avoiding import VAT is not very clever.
Dont worry about the charge cos it will probably get lost(nicked) in the post anyway.
Wouldn't celebrate just yet if it is damaged you are only indured to the value that has been declared. You may get it but in how pieces is anyones guess.
hooray henry

Dont worry about the charge cos it will probably get lost(nicked) in the … Dont worry about the charge cos it will probably get lost(nicked) in the post anyway.

Funny. That almost happened last time (parcel signed for, but not by me or anyone at the address, and no sign of parcel) but I made a bit of a scene at the delivery office upon seeing the fake signature and they delivered it the next day.

But I don't think that a tracked EMS/Parcelforce Express 24 parcel is going to just disappear like that.

16-12-2011 20:41 Delivery Agent - JAPAN Contact Government. Suspected terrorist.
newbie1001

Wouldn't celebrate just yet if it is damaged you are only indured to the … Wouldn't celebrate just yet if it is damaged you are only indured to the value that has been declared. You may get it but in how pieces is anyones guess.

The packages that he sends are always packed ridiculously well in fact. But the question was, does it look like I've avoided charges? As said in the OP, others got a "custom charges" status before the "recieved in national hub" one. I just wanted clarification on that.
u may be lucky at this time of year but if the declared value is over the import limit u will defo get charged and the gift thing is not working as well as it did I got some Disney pins declared value of £30 marked as gift they said it was not as it had come from a company, they tried to deliver I was out had to pay £2+ tax and about £9 for handling by the post office, please the guy lied about the true cost as it was about £120
It was delivered today without charges, and he marked it as 4700 yen (£39) and as containing a load of junk items. So I avoided what would have surely been quite a hefty fee.

Edited by: "Breadboy" 17th Dec 2011
Depends some couriers send a bill through the post, who delivered it ?
It was Parcelforce as stated before. What do they generally do?
deanos

Depends some couriers send a bill through the post, who delivered it ?

Never. You pay before it's delivered or not at all.
dontasciime

Never. You pay before it's delivered or not at all.

not true, dhl for one send you the bill in the post if u use them a few times! I know ive had it once or twice on packages from america.
What's to stop you from not paying the charges if they send the charge after delivery?
fridgehead

not true, dhl for one send you the bill in the post if u use them a few … not true, dhl for one send you the bill in the post if u use them a few times! I know ive had it once or twice on packages from america.

Never happened with DHL UPs parcelforce for me.

The only way to avoid them wanting payment before delivering is to agree (have an account with them to pay the charges for import upfront) e.g the fee to have them cleared at customs, furthermore if your goods arrive at customs and DHL/UPS/ Royal Mail have to pay to get your goods into the country to clear customs then you owe the courier this money. They charge an admin fee for paying this on your behalf which they will insist you pay before they deliver the goods..

Co's they will not turn up at your door and ask you for money and I can't believe they are stupid enough to deliver the goods they have paid customs charges for and without having any automatic means to after the event charge this to a debit/credit card etc (it would have to be an account you have with them that gives them permission to charge you)

If you set up an account with courier and have bank account/ debit / credit card/ a means to auto pay any charges at customs you will avoid the couriers admin charge for paying for your goods clearing customs, this will be sent as an invoice after.

Edit to clarify.lol it's only the handling fee I would avoid by having an account (if it gets stopped at customs and they open it and determine it necessary to detain it until VAT/Import is paid you still have to pay this (in my case every time) before they will deliver my parcels
Edited by: "dontasciime" 17th Dec 2011
Breadboy

It was Parcelforce as stated before. What do they generally do?

Parcelforce are ok DHL do send a bill through the post had it happen to a friend

also mentions this on there website
http://www.dhl.co.uk/en/express/shipping/customs_support/duties_taxes.html

"if you are receiving a shipment you need to know that there could be duties on top that may be billed after the shipment has been delivered."

So there will be no charges for me then?
deanos

Parcelforce are ok DHL do send a bill through the post had it happen to a … Parcelforce are ok DHL do send a bill through the post had it happen to a friendalso mentions this on there websitehttp://www.dhl.co.uk/en/express/shipping/customs_support/duties_taxes.html"if you are receiving a shipment you need to know that there could be duties on top that may be billed after the shipment has been delivered."

Always been upfront on over 80 imported goods via all the major couriers for me (no account) with a 6-£12 admin charge on top of vat/ import duty. I still can't see how they can charge you after you have your goods and enforce it.
(unless the invoice is HMRC )

Edited by: "dontasciime" 17th Dec 2011
dude, you'll get a letter in a few months for due import tax, just forget about it till then, but it will happen.
They normally wirte the invoice off after 6 months if you ignore it. They will send you a few reminders but nothing heavy.
DudeyGeeza

dude, you'll get a letter in a few months for due import tax, just forget … dude, you'll get a letter in a few months for due import tax, just forget about it till then, but it will happen.

I think that's unlikely; the value was marked down, and as a gift. So why would I be charged on something that they thought was below the £40 threshold?
Edited by: "Breadboy" 17th Dec 2011
Breadboy

I think that's unlikely; the value was marked down, and as a gift. So why … I think that's unlikely; the value was marked down, and as a gift. So why would I be charged on something that they thought was below the £40 threshold?

havent read the whole thread dude, i just know if its something that is taxable, and they dont do it for delivery, then they will eventually send you a letter.
dontasciime

Never happened with DHL UPs parcelforce for me. The only way to avoid … Never happened with DHL UPs parcelforce for me. The only way to avoid them wanting payment before delivering is to agree (have an account with them to pay the charges for import upfront) e.g the fee to have them cleared at customs, furthermore if your goods arrive at customs and DHL/UPS/ Royal Mail have to pay to get your goods into the country to clear customs then you owe the courier this money. They charge an admin fee for paying this on your behalf which they will insist you pay before they deliver the goods..Co's they will not turn up at your door and ask you for money and I can't believe they are stupid enough to deliver the goods they have paid customs charges for and without having any automatic means to after the event charge this to a debit/credit card etc (it would have to be an account you have with them that gives them permission to charge you)If you set up an account with courier and have bank account/ debit / credit card/ a means to auto pay any charges at customs you will avoid the couriers admin charge for paying for your goods clearing customs, this will be sent as an invoice after.

At work we have DHL deliveries on a weekly basis, they always bill us later on with an invoice in the post, and no we don't have an account with them.

UPS usually do COD (cash on delivery), otherwise they keep the item. And EMS/Parcelforce also tend to send a VAT invoice through the post a couple of weeks after the delivery arrives.

There are exceptions to this from time to time when DHL request COD, but very rarely. Like I said, we don't have an account with any of these companies.

Last Christmas I bought the gf some stuff from the far East, it arrived with DHL and I never received any VAT demands. This summer I had a knock on the door and it was a debt recovery agency acting on DHL's behalf, because the invoice hadn't been paid (even though I never received it). It was all promptly paid via debit card over the phone, but once again another example of them forwarding a parcel without first seeking the VAT payment for it.

Edited by: "nickw90" 17th Dec 2011
Breadboy

What's to stop you from not paying the charges if they send the charge … What's to stop you from not paying the charges if they send the charge after delivery?

If you want to be in debt to HMRC then go ahead. I'll be first in the queue to buy front row tickets for the fight.

FYI ... the exporter can write whatever he wants on the customs paperwork. It's you, as the importer, who is wholly responsible for any fees and/or consequences.

As it's Xmas I'll give you one piece of free advice: Don't f*** with HMRC ... when it comes to a fight, you'll lose every time - badly.
gizmouk

If you want to be in debt to HMRC then go ahead. I'll be first in the … If you want to be in debt to HMRC then go ahead. I'll be first in the queue to buy front row tickets for the fight. FYI ... the exporter can write whatever he wants on the customs paperwork. It's you, as the importer, who is wholly responsible for any fees and/or consequences. As it's Xmas I'll give you one piece of free advice: Don't f*** with HMRC ... when it comes to a fight, you'll lose every time - badly.

If it gets through mount pleasant without a charge it means there are none.
nickw90

At work we have DHL deliveries on a weekly basis, they always bill us … At work we have DHL deliveries on a weekly basis, they always bill us later on with an invoice in the post, and no we don't have an account with them.UPS usually do COD (cash on delivery), otherwise they keep the item. And EMS/Parcelforce also tend to send a VAT invoice through the post a couple of weeks after the delivery arrives.There are exceptions to this from time to time when DHL request COD, but very rarely. Like I said, we don't have an account with any of these companies.Last Christmas I bought the gf some stuff from the far East, it arrived with DHL and I never received any VAT demands. This summer I had a knock on the door and it was a debt recovery agency acting on DHL's behalf, because the invoice hadn't been paid (even though I never received it). It was all promptly paid via debit card over the phone, but once again another example of them forwarding a parcel without first seeking the VAT payment for it.

Scammed you
This is ridiculous, He avoided the fees therefore he will not/ did not get any letter, sometimes this happens. You have to pay the customs fee to get the parcel released, if there isnt anything to pay then its been released.
I agree, ridiculous...

... That you would bump a year old thread
sancho1983

I agree, ridiculous... ... That you would bump a year old thread

And make his first comment after 2 years
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants