Does my work have to pay me sick pay if i have Swine Flu?

22 replies
Found 5th Nov 2009
As the title say's, where i work we have a points system and i think i was just a couple of points over when i had chicken pox (yip chicken pox lol!) back in the latter half of May. Now where i work we have a real nasty sickness structure where the main guy will say yes/no for sickness even if you are under the sickness points policy.

Now i'm sure i have seen that companies have to pay out sickness regardless of how many times you have been sick previous or have i dreamt that? Anyway i'm back of to bed i feel like i've been run over a few times ugh!

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
22 Comments

No they don't.

You are entitled to SSP, but they don't have to pay you when you are sick ever.

Banned

No requirement to pay sickness its part of the benefits package. You can claim statutory sick pay though.

Btw i get 14 days sick pay with 6 months on half pay after that.

sickness POINTS??

Never heard of such a thing!

Make sure you get a letter from your GP xxx

BT group is a good company regarding sick. I could have upto 6 months on full pay then a further 6 on 1/2. You get about 2 weeks sick leave a year before questions are asked.

Banned

Paddy_o_furniture;6786887

BT group is a good company regarding sick. I could have upto 6 months on … BT group is a good company regarding sick. I could have upto 6 months on full pay then a further 6 on 1/2. You get about 2 weeks sick leave a year before questions are asked.

Maybe i get 6 months full pay followed by the 6 months on half too But its when you are signed off work by serious illness or surgery right?

it differs from every company if your company has no sick pay scheme then as a previous poster said it will be ssp, which if i remeber rightly you dont get anything for the first 3 days then its like £13 per day after that NICE

lumoruk;6786901

Maybe i get 6 months full pay followed by the 6 months on half too But … Maybe i get 6 months full pay followed by the 6 months on half too But its when you are signed off work by serious illness or surgery right?

I know people who have had 6 months + for "stress"

ilovepink;6786908

it differs from every company if your company has no sick pay scheme then … it differs from every company if your company has no sick pay scheme then as a previous poster said it will be ssp, which if i remeber rightly you dont get anything for the first 3 days then its like £13 per day after that NICE

£13 a day? How you meant to live on that? If your ill a prescription will cost you 1/2 that

SuperEd

the company i used to work for had sickness points lol 1 bout 1 pt per day 2nd bout 2 pts per day 3rd bout 3 points per day ona rolling year first warning 10 pts 2nd warning 21pst 3rd final warning 35 points then anymore within that year up for dismissal!

Paddy_o_furniture;6786920

£13 a day? How you meant to live on that? If your ill a prescription … £13 a day? How you meant to live on that? If your ill a prescription will cost you 1/2 that

tell me about it when i had a 2nd miscarriage whilst working for my previous employer, i was off for around 3 months and ssp is all i got i had to have help from everyone to pay all my bills not that i was bothered as i was too upset

i think in some circumstances ssp is very very harsh

Original Poster

Ahh well thx to everyone!

ilovepink;6786940

tell me about it when i had a 2nd miscarriage whilst working for my … tell me about it when i had a 2nd miscarriage whilst working for my previous employer, i was off for around 3 months and ssp is all i got i had to have help from everyone to pay all my bills not that i was bothered as i was too upseti think in some circumstances ssp is very very harsh

When I had my stillborn my ex-husband had about 3 months off too, the doc marked him off as "stress" but really it was just an excuse to stay home with me as I was a total wreck and totally unable to do much of anything really that required an emotional response to anyone, including caring for the kids.

I went back to work within a couple of weeks.... not that I worked very efficiently though but it helped distract my mind and get me back on track xxxx

I think that people should be able to take paid leave when something genuinely mucks up their lives so much that they cant cope in the usual way, including major sickness, bereavement etc.

It is up to your contract and manager.

Couple of things to remember.

You can be given a disciplinary if you are sick for any reason.
A sick note from a doctor just indicates to the employer that you are sick, NOT that you are unfit to work, that is up to the employer. He/She could give you alternative work that the sickness would not interfere with.
You are only entitled to state SSP, the company do not have to pay you at all. (Contract dependant).

If I owned a small business I would make sure my backside is covered from all directions, I would not want to pay anyone who is sick.

Signed
Tightarse.

Just go to work and infect them all unless your boss is willing to cough up?

I get 6 months full, 6 months half where I work. This isn't just for long term sickness either. Silly thing is if somebody goes into work with swine flu you could end up with loads of people off or everybody sitting coughing and spluttering and not being productive at all. Doctors won't usually issue a sick note for the first 5 days as you self-certificate by law. My doctor once told me that if my employer didn;t belive me then to tell them to request a private sick note at a cost of £70 to them.

I can't actually believe that companies are allowed to sack you for being sick?

No pay, fair enough, surely that's enough incentive for you not to be ill, but losing your job too? doesn't seem right.

Banned

WasStoNed;6787062

Just go to work and infect them all unless your boss is willing to cough … Just go to work and infect them all unless your boss is willing to cough up?

+1

:thumbsup:

Original Poster

Celticsun;6787770

LoL such a crap system that Bradford Points thing.]Bradford Scale … LoL such a crap system that Bradford Points thing.]Bradford Scale Calculator

That's the one, bloody Bradford points!

Go into work & infect them all.

That will f*** them all up !!

Original Poster

ChrisUK;6795641

Go into work & infect them all.That will f*** them all up !!

Wish i could m8 but this flu has totally knacked me up for the week lol!

aphex187;6796231

Wish i could m8 but this flu has totally knacked me up for the week lol!

I couldn't of got near a computer/forum when I had it, I was dying.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Is it illegal to sell train tickets?22
    2. Gearbest: Order - Nowhere to be seen...22
    3. Wuntu - Three (3) Cinema Vouchers Please?11
    4. Ripped off from local garage. Suggestions please.1832

See more discussions