does religious or political debate have a place at all on hukd?

165 replies
Found 16th Dec 2014
Try not to turn this into another slanging match, but what are your thoughts? All I can see is that they just spin out of control into petty arguments (and the same ones over and over). You'll never convince the other party involved that you're right, so why even bother? It just ruins threads which are up until then worth reading, and normally results in suspensions, bans, infractions etc.

Is it really worth it, just so you can be a big man on a shopping forum?

inb4 spam... suspension... ban...

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
165 Comments

don't quite see why you're posting this.....seems a bit hypocritical. ...

Original Poster

PLANKT0N0

don't quite see why you're posting this.....seems a bit hypocritical. ...

Because...

It just ruins threads which are up until then worth reading

And it is really beyond boring now.

Editor

miikeyblue

Because...It just ruins threads which are up until then worth readingAnd … Because...It just ruins threads which are up until then worth readingAnd it is really beyond boring now.

If it's any consolation mate, I'm getting the constant notifications for the pointless arguments.

Original Poster

BuzzDuraband

If it's any consolation mate, I'm getting the constant notifications for … If it's any consolation mate, I'm getting the constant notifications for the pointless arguments.

Wow... Sucks to be you!

BuzzDuraband

If it's any consolation mate, I'm getting the constant notifications for … If it's any consolation mate, I'm getting the constant notifications for the pointless arguments.

Are you subscribed to the threads?

Religious debate seldom occurs on this website.
Edited by: "RossD89" 16th Dec 2014

Just make a religious/political debate/argument section and let anyone who feels the need to let off steam go and run wild in there.
Edited by: "Monkeybumcheeks" 16th Dec 2014

miikeyblue

Wow... Sucks to be you!

Could be worse, he could be me.

Original Poster

deeky

Could be worse, he could be me.

Nah. There's only one deeky.

Editor

Transformers

Are you subscribed to the threads?

Might sound stupid, I wasn't aware I could unsubscribe from my own threads mate?

Anyway seems to have been spammed now? Intended thread for respectful conversation of the tragedy in Pakistan, turned into back and forth religious bickering

Completely agree with you, no idea why the SAME people keep persisting on saying the SAME thing on a million different threads. A thread about the deaths of 100+ children just spiralled into Islam bashing not too long ago.

Original Poster

TheMo123

Completely agree with you, no idea why the SAME people keep persisting on … Completely agree with you, no idea why the SAME people keep persisting on saying the SAME thing on a million different threads. A thread about the deaths of 100+ children just spiralled into Islam bashing not too long ago.

I saw. Hence this thread.

Boring so no

miikeyblue

I saw. Hence this thread.

It would be mean though as there are one or two who only seem to inhabit those types of thread. What would they do?

After being a member for just a few days I'd say the answer to the question is very clearly a NO it does not have a place on here and neither do a handful of members.

Most members in the Pakistan tradegy should either be banned or on a very long suspension from this site. It must put so many off this site, I know its put me off.

What is even sadder is the fact nothing was done to the members that were destroying that thread with a total lack of respect to the 132 and still counting butchered children.

Catholics are cool! the rest are all bobbins.

miikeyblue

That's nothing. I bought a car last Wednesday. Had it written off … That's nothing. I bought a car last Wednesday. Had it written off Saturday

Did you like it as well? Might not have been so bad if you were feeling buyer's remorse X)

Cheers
Edited by: "deeky" 16th Dec 2014

Original Poster

BlackJax

After being a member for just a few days I'd say the answer to the … After being a member for just a few days I'd say the answer to the question is very clearly a NO it does not have a place on here and neither do a handful of members.Most members in the Pakistan tradegy should either be banned or on a very long suspension from this site. It must put so many off this site, I know its put me off.What is even sadder is the fact nothing was done to the members that were destroying that thread with a total lack of respect to the 132 and still counting butchered children.

Interesting to hear your comments. Its a shame that at a time where the site is trying to drum up more membership with the flamedeer comp that people are being put off by these religious rantings.

Original Poster

deeky

Did you like it as well? Might not have been so bad if you were feeling … Did you like it as well? Might not have been so bad if you were feeling buyer's remorse X)Cheers

It was better than the last one I bought - passenger foot well filled with water the first time it rained, going through courts for a refund still!

Respectful debate had a place on here, but the problem is that some people don't understand how to be respectful - it is those members that need to be banned to allow real debate to flourish.

miikeyblue

It was better than the last one I bought - passenger foot well filled … It was better than the last one I bought - passenger foot well filled with water the first time it rained, going through courts for a refund still!

Wasn't a Skoda was it? There have been loads of complaints about Octavias/Superbs with leaking door seals.

With libtards running amok i'd haft to say no.

Original Poster

deeky

Wasn't a Skoda was it? There have been loads of complaints about … Wasn't a Skoda was it? There have been loads of complaints about Octavias/Superbs with leaking door seals.

Nope, vectra. Still on my driveway... Set up a christmassy skating scene in the foot well now.

Original Poster

DeanoLfc5

With libtards running amok i'd haft to say no.

Libtards... Never heard that before

Don't even bother reading them TBH
What you say in the OP certainly applies to the political ones
I don't think they should be banned however there are freedom of speech issues here

Banned

miscellaneous
ˌmɪsəˈleɪnɪəs/
adjective
adjective: miscellaneous

(of items or people gathered or considered together) of various types or from different sources.

You know, when I'm watching tv, sometimes I don't enjoy a show.

When this happens, I change channel.

miikeyblue

Nope, vectra. Still on my driveway... Set up a christmassy skating scene … Nope, vectra. Still on my driveway... Set up a christmassy skating scene in the foot well now.

Don't let rupz know. He'd love an indoor rink X)

that's quite enough of your pontificating thankyou X)

thebaron69

Catholics are cool! the rest are all bobbins.

Religious debate is fine.
Bashing of minorities and certain groups of people is not.

Original Poster

Musician

miscellaneousˌmɪsəˈleɪnɪəs/adjectiveadjective: miscellaneous (of items … miscellaneousˌmɪsəˈleɪnɪəs/adjectiveadjective: miscellaneous (of items or people gathered or considered together) of various types or from different sources.You know, when I'm watching tv, sometimes I don't enjoy a show. When this happens, I change channel.

Sometimes when I'm watching tv, I do enjoy a show, then someone walks in, stands in front of the tv and starts talking really loudly.

Original Poster

teh arn

Religious debate is fine.Bashing of minorities and certain groups of … Religious debate is fine.Bashing of minorities and certain groups of people is not.

But the latter always seems to be inevitable when these debates begin.

Every subject should be open to discussion but people should respect others opinions not challenge them.

Sadly some try to argue their objectives with fact but again with today's media/internet fact can be misinterpreted as fiction by some.and that's where heated discussions become an issue.

The worst is that the "system" allows these individuals the option to spam a thread rather than allowing the mods to moderate it and it's those individuals who should be banned from accessing Misc.

miikeyblue

But the latter always seems to be inevitable when these debates begin.

Yep; many posters here seem to struggle with that when they associate the actions of a tiny minority to a whole religion/race/group.

No doubt this will descent into that kind of topic after they arrive.

Original Poster

teh arn

Yep; many posters here seem to struggle with that when they associate the … Yep; many posters here seem to struggle with that when they associate the actions of a tiny minority to a whole religion/race/group.No doubt this will descent into that kind of topic after they arrive.

I hope it doesn't. This thread isn't for religious debate, its for the debate of religious debate. If people have concerns over this thread, they may wish to start their own, debating the debate over religious debate.

Original Poster

I realise that religion can be a defining point of someone's personality and that this will show through in their comments, which is to be expected. When these comments get so personal and aggressive though (from both sides, no finger pointing) a thread becomes unreadable.

Original Poster

Updated title to include 'political'

I don't think it has a place on HUKD because it's a conversation which goes nowhere. An atheist can say all he wants but it is unlikely a religious person would think otherwise, vice versa.

You can believe in the Fairies or Thor, it wouldn't bother me until it's harmful to others.
Edited by: "kwanzee" 16th Dec 2014

Monkeybumcheeks

Just make a religious/political debate/argument section and let anyone … Just make a religious/political debate/argument section and let anyone who feels the need to let off steam go and run wild in there.

Fixed for you miikey.:)

Original Poster

Monkeybumcheeks

Fixed for you miikey.:)

It was starting to set my OCD off. Thanks.

Any kind of debate should be allowed as long as it's civil.

Unfortunately a small group of people continually post religious threads as a means to bait other members.
Edited by: "coloradorockies" 16th Dec 2014
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769596
    2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247664
    3. US GrandPrix Razzmatazz22
    4. #KoemanIn, Thank You Koeman for trying to get Everton relegated!1013

See more discussions