does sky box amplify terrestrial aerial??

Found 3rd Mar 2016
My tv upstairs doesn't have its own aerial but receives freeview because my sky box downstairs has a normal aerial into in then has an rf feed to my upstairs tv. I no longer have sky so removed the sky box and joined the aerial and the rf cable with a connector however the picture upstairs now breaks up. I'm wondering if the sky box used to amplify the signal as the cables are very long. Or could it just be the connector, although I have tried 2 different ones! Thanks in advance
Community Updates
AskAerialAmplifierSky
13 Comments
Original Poster
Not sure what happened but some of the description cut off..... I no longer have sky so removed the box and the picture now breaks up. I was wondering if the sky box works as an amplifier as the cables are very long. Or could it just be the connectors I have been using (tried 2 different ones)
A skybox needs to be connected to a dish to receive a signal. It won't receive a signal from a TV aerial. You don't need an active sky sub to receive FTA channels.
Original Poster
Paddy_o_furniture

A skybox needs to be connected to a dish to receive a signal. It won't … A skybox needs to be connected to a dish to receive a signal. It won't receive a signal from a TV aerial. You don't need an active sky sub to receive FTA channels.

Think you've misunderstood what I'm trying to achieve. I just want to send a normal to aerial from downstairs to upstairs. Previously I did this via my sky box ( aerial into sky box and rf feed to second tv) now I just want to bypass the sky box as I no longer have sky so no need for the box. But if I use a connector instead of the sky box the picture breaks up so was wondering if the sky box had been amplify the signal
The RF output on the sky box is not amplified per se by the box, however as it has two RF outputs it uses a pre-amp to increase the gain (to make up for the loss of signal internally)
If you had 2 TVs connected to it for instance it would considerably drop the signal strength, however if you've simply removed the box and have only one tv connected you should not notice a significant drop in signal strength

Edit just read your last post.
It's because the signal coming into the box was pre-amped. By eliminating the box you've simply increased the length of the cable thus reducing its signal strength
Edited by: "wolf359" 3rd Mar 2016
The skybox can pass a small charge through the RF cable (that's how the magic eye works) however I don't think it amplifies the signal of the RF cable.
Original Poster
wolf359

The RF output on the sky box is not amplified per se by the box, however … The RF output on the sky box is not amplified per se by the box, however as it has two RF outputs it uses a pre-amp to increase the gain (to make up for the loss of signal internally) If you had 2 TVs connected to it for instance it would considerably drop the signal strength, however if you've simply removed the box and have only one tv connected you should not notice a significant drop in signal strengthEdit just read your last post.It's because the signal coming into the box was pre-amped. By eliminating the box you've simply increased the length of the cable thus reducing its signal strength

Ok thanks. Is there any way to solve this then?? Or am I best just leaving the sky box in
plug in an amplifier downstairs
Original Poster
steevojohno

plug in an amplifier downstairs

Thought that would be the answer. Might as well just leave the sky box plugged in hidden behind the tv then hadn't I rather than pay for an amplify that's going to do the same job
You could just buy one of these cheap things if you want rid of the box. Probably worth a fiver if it means not having sky plugged in 247! Can find several versions on eBay if just search sky cable amplifier.

pages.ebay.com/lin…web

Actually some for under £3 as well never really checked first time lol
You say you no longer have sky, when in fact you technically do! (unless you took the dish down)
Your gonna be shocked at what sky say you got for your subscription, Nearly everything on freeview will still be there and your card will give you the correct regions, you'll just lose the extras like sports channels and the ability to record (if you had sky+)
Hi I have the same problem as now moved to sky Q. Did you solve the problem? many thanks Nicky
Original Poster
hally100

Hi I have the same problem as now moved to sky Q. Did you solve the … Hi I have the same problem as now moved to sky Q. Did you solve the problem? many thanks Nicky

No just ended up leaving the sky box in to act as an amplifier. Guessing you can buy some sort of amplifier though instead
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants