Does Sony MDR-ZX310AP (headphones with mic) work on PS4?

Found 12th Feb 2015
I was looking for a new mic for PS4 and wanted just a pair of earphones (not in ear) with inline mic but couldn't find any at all, but saw the Sony MDR-ZX310AP in GAME for £16. Just wondering if anyone has these and/or know if the mic function works on PS4?

Don't want a dedicated gaming headset as I'd prefer a set I can also use as headphones out and about too (in other words not looking like an idiot)

Many thanks, cool people of HUKD.
Community Updates
6 Comments
I wasn't sure if it would work so tested this for ya.

I got a pair of skull candies navigator which have a removable cord and inline mic. (ipod/iphone function switch).

The ps4 detects the plug in cable and says "the mic has been redirected to the controller."

But it does not detect the command "playstation."

I've tried my earphones that came with my Samsung note 3. Plugged and said "playstation" and the voice command list did pop up.

----

Update
went to messages (with ps4 network being down) and went to an old message. Hit triangle to go to "record message."

I tried the skull candies again and was able to record a voice test.

I first expected anything that has a built in mic can be used freely through the controllers port.

But anything built for 5.1/7.1 surround sound goes through the usb ports (not 100% on that).

So in short, I would say yes the mic would work to chat with people through games.

I don't have a gaming headset either. But I don't use a mic when I game (no close friends own a ps4), but my headset of choice is the sony MDR-1R with a standard cable (no mic).

Hope this helps.
Edited by: "kos1c" 12th Feb 2015
kos1c

Hope this helps.

Man that's some investigation, many thanks. I'm not concerned over the 'Playstation' thing, not like I use that now, but if a message is recorded, I'm guessing the mic will work.
Antergaton

Man that's some investigation, many thanks. I'm not concerned over the … Man that's some investigation, many thanks. I'm not concerned over the 'Playstation' thing, not like I use that now, but if a message is recorded, I'm guessing the mic will work.

I had a free time to give it ago. Plus I was curious if my headset would work after seeing your post.

The playstation voice commands is a gimmick and I wouldn't use it either. But voice messaging worked perfectly so I would assume all inline mic headphones work on the console.
I have just bought these headphones and can confirm they do work with the ps4. I have only recorded a voice message and it sounded great. I will be trying online tonight so I'll ask my mate how's the sound quality. I'd recommend the headphones, really good sound and very comfy so far.
Thanks for help guys, I went for it and they work well. Even the 'Playstation' commands worked.
I am not sure about zx310ap but I have used sony headphones with mic MDR XB450AP , it was working fine with PS4.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants