Groups

Does such a gizmo exist?

My elderly Dad, who has early signs of Alzheimer's, has started getting unwanted phone calls from scum bag scammers who are trying to trick him out of his money.
    Is there either a free-standing gizmo that will plug in between the phone and the wall socket, or something integrated within a phone, that will let me program it and block specific numbers.
    One that is a particular pest is 0444444444.
    These are low life scum bags and although my Dad has enough sense to hang up on these muppets, I would rather have some sort of gizmo that will block specific numbers for me. ( Before his condition worsens ).
    BT aren't interested and say there is nothing they can do.
    He is registerd with the TPS but that makes no difference to these low lifes.
    Does anyone know of anything like I have described that can selectively bar certain incoming calls please?

15 Comments

Hi mate

Just done a quick google search and do you mean something like this?
    truecall.co.uk/?gc…7DQ

Probably be able to find something cheaper, this was one of the first links that came up

Banned

If no such thing exists I would be very tempted to do one of the following;

**Sit with your dad and pretend to be him if the phone rings, ask where to send the cheque and pay them a visit. Take your nephew, baseball bat, with you.

**Contact 'Don't get Done get Dom'/ watchdog hrough the BBC and get him to delve into these scammers and name and shame them. Without offence, a heartbreaking story like yours will get their attention instantly.

**Buy him an answerphone. He will be able to screen his calls- no scammers leave a message on answerphones.

you got my sympathy mate.. i get calls all the time asking if "insert any name here" is there... and when i say no... they start getting aggressive and say he or she owes money... blah blah balh.. then they ask my name.. as if im gonna give them that info...lol.. i lost my rag with one and told him to go do one.. now i say.. yes wait a mo and just leave the phone knowing that they are paying the bill.

Banned

tbh id take a look at the top end digital fones, they are pretty much programable like ur mobile fone....sure you can block numbers

Jumpingphil;5681121

Thanks guys and gals, I have my solution thanks, it was posted really … Thanks guys and gals, I have my solution thanks, it was posted really early on, these children don't bother me.I can remember seeing kids act like this when I used to do voluntary work looking after the mentally handicapped in my younger years.:thumbsup:

I'm glad someone's found something for you. Hope it helps your dad out because I'm sure things are difficult enough already without having to worry about these low life scum calling up to try and con him. He's lucky to have you around :thumbsup:

I'm sure BT will be able to help if you ask them

Tell your dad to start drinking a lot of coffee. Its supposed to be good for alzheimers sufferers.

similar to truecall ?
    ]http//ww…uk/

isn't it possible to block all anonymous callers ?

or do these people have a valid number, numbers such as 04444444444 sound computer generated x x

Banned

deathtrap3000;5681281

Tell your dad to start drinking a lot of coffee. Its supposed to be good … Tell your dad to start drinking a lot of coffee. Its supposed to be good for alzheimers sufferers.

see my avatar for true relief:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Banned

NFS;5680375

Hi mateJust done a quick google search and do you mean something like … Hi mateJust done a quick google search and do you mean something like this?http://www.truecall.co.uk/?gclid=CL7YrsqGwpsCFYUA4wod7Et7DQProbably be able to find something cheaper, this was one of the first links that came up

this has just been on Dragons Den, retails at £97, but then you need the £45 handset to go with it

Toby Jug;5761012

this has just been on Dragons Den, retails at £97, but then you need the … this has just been on Dragons Den, retails at £97, but then you need the £45 handset to go with it

Yeh, if you dont already have a phone, and even if you dont have a phone for some reason they are cheaper than £45.

Banned

deathtrap3000;5761107

Yeh, if you dont already have a phone, and even if you dont have a phone … Yeh, if you dont already have a phone, and even if you dont have a phone for some reason they are cheaper than £45.

I got the impression you needed to purchase THAT phone?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Can't delete friends on Xbox 360 or accept any friend requests, anyone know…33
      2. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1118
      3. Sad news about Barcelona26113
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764188

See more discussions