Groups

does the macbook have a mic in port?

I'm thinking of getting one, but does it have a mic in port so i dont have to use the built - in one?

thanks.

8 Comments

my friend uses an external mic with his but im not sure if he uses an adaptor. His is the old version but found on the spec for the new one, which one are you looking at?

Audio

* Built-in stereo speakers
    * Built-in omnidirectional microphone
    * Combined optical digital input/analog line in (minijack)
    * Combined optical digital output/analog line out (minijack)
    * Supports Apple Stereo Headset with microphone

Original Poster

Ah as long as I can use one, it's fine. I'm guessing its a USB Mic in and headphone in one if it is right?

t0mm;4431681

Ah as long as I can use one, it's fine. I'm guessing its a USB Mic in and … Ah as long as I can use one, it's fine. I'm guessing its a USB Mic in and headphone in one if it is right?

]http//ww…tml

im not sure, but theres where i got the specs

]http//st…ers

theres the headset but it doesnt show the connector!

i can confirm that it has a audio in port! which you can use as a mic if you want. I have a macbook with me.

Original Poster

Can you use it for headset and mic at once?

Hang on, on the MacBook and most other Apple computers its a LINE IN jack and not a MICROPHONE jack. So unless you have an expensive line level microphone, you're better off with a USB mic or using something like an iMic in order to use normal mic-level microphones.

The electrical current generated by a microphone is very small. Referred to as mic level, this signal is typically measured in millivolts. Before it can be used for anything serious the signal needs to be amplified, usually to line level (typically 0.5 -2V). Being a stronger and more robust signal, line level is the standard signal strength used by audio processing equipment and common domestic equipment such as CD players, tape machines, VCRs, etc.

You Might need one of these depending on the quality of your Mic.

The iMic supports both line level and mic level inputs:
    griffintechnology.com/pro…ic/
    iMic supports both mic and line level inputs via a selectable switch, as well as a variable level output for connecting speakers or headphones.

]Apple Mic to Mac 101
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …3281160
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764585
      3. Report online material promoting terrorism or extremism1934
      4. Entitled to overtime to be included in your holiday pay1022

See more discussions