does the NHS provide support for braces administered outside the UK?

Found 5th May 2015
Just wanted to know whether or not the NHS would provide support for braces put on outside of the UK.

Support such as routine check ups, repair in the case of breakage, taking braces off etc.

Comments are appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
as a uk citizen or as someone who came to uk after getting them fitted? as if someone leaves country to get them then i dnt think they should but if u came to this country after and live then yes...
justanothercid

as a uk citizen or as someone who came to uk after getting them fitted? … as a uk citizen or as someone who came to uk after getting them fitted? as if someone leaves country to get them then i dnt think they should but if u came to this country after and live then yes...

I had them on about 6 years ago, and gradually a couple of my teeth have began to go crooked again, even the dentist couldn't provide a adequate answer.

The problem now is I would have to £2500, whereas back then it was free.

As a student I can't really afford to pay that, so looking for cheaper solution.

My country (well my parents country) fits them on for sub 500.

Edited by: "amadahmed2" 5th May 2015
I no my son just got turned down for a nhs brace. He is 15. I have been told I need to go private. As he does not fit the criteria. If I went private it covers the cost of all the appts. For fitting tightening up and so on. So from that I would assume you would have to pay for appts. As if you don't fit the nhs criteria they won't pay.
vikki78vicky

I no my son just got turned down for a nhs brace. He is 15. I have been … I no my son just got turned down for a nhs brace. He is 15. I have been told I need to go private. As he does not fit the criteria. If I went private it covers the cost of all the appts. For fitting tightening up and so on. So from that I would assume you would have to pay for appts. As if you don't fit the nhs criteria they won't pay.

That's just wrong. If the NHS unfairly refuse you braces, you have the right to appeal. As your son is 15 he is well within the rights to get braces whether it be for comestic or medical reasons as he is below the age of 18. Did you seek admission from more than one centre before you decided to go private?
Edited by: "amadahmed2" 5th May 2015
Cause my son is classed as cosmetic. Even though he has quiet a few teeth missing they have not developed or grown. Not due to extraction they won't entertain him. Luckily it's only his bottom set that are a little crooked. There is a tough criteria now to get any form of braces. We haven't gone private yet. As it's just not a option for us at the moment.
vikki78vicky

Cause my son is classed as cosmetic. Even though he has quiet a few teeth … Cause my son is classed as cosmetic. Even though he has quiet a few teeth missing they have not developed or grown. Not due to extraction they won't entertain him. Luckily it's only his bottom set that are a little crooked. There is a tough criteria now to get any form of braces. We haven't gone private yet. As it's just not a option for us at the moment.

Good luck to you! Hope you find a viable option.
amadahmed2

I had them on about 6 years ago, and gradually a couple of my teeth have … I had them on about 6 years ago, and gradually a couple of my teeth have began to go crooked again, even the dentist couldn't provide a adequate answer. The problem now is I would have to £2500, whereas back then it was free. As a student I can't really afford to pay that, so looking for cheaper solution. My country (well my parents country) fits them on for sub 500.

Your teeth move over time. Same happened to me, my dentist said it's completely normal. Unless it's a massive change?
No matter whether you go private or through the NHS you are never guaranteed that your teeth won't move. I know that with the NHS they will cover repairs to permanent retainers etc for up to 12 months after having it fitted then any repairs etc are on you.
If your teeth have moved were you wearing a retainer as advised?
If you get braces fitted abroad you will need to see a private orthodontist for maintenance here but that is still probably cheaper than the full cost here.
Edited by: "sparky64" 5th May 2015
It's the National Health Service not the International Health Service. It's bad enough getting treatment if you live in the UK and have paid NI all your life. I really do think you have a check asking.
This page has a bit of information about getting dental treatment abroad:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Treatmentabroad/Pages/Dentistryabroad.aspx

It doesn't say anything about a charge for repairs once back in the UK but I would assume that it depends on your individual circumstances.

You may want to discuss this with your local dentist. Ask them if they can provide aftercare, repairs etc for free or would it have to be paid for
amadahmed2

I had them on about 6 years ago, and gradually a couple of my teeth have … I had them on about 6 years ago, and gradually a couple of my teeth have began to go crooked again, even the dentist couldn't provide a adequate answer. The problem now is I would have to £2500, whereas back then it was free. As a student I can't really afford to pay that, so looking for cheaper solution. My country (well my parents country) fits them on for sub 500.

Where your retainer every night for years afterwards that's what I am doing.. Did you not get this advice?
vikki78vicky

I no my son just got turned down for a nhs brace. He is 15. I have been … I no my son just got turned down for a nhs brace. He is 15. I have been told I need to go private. As he does not fit the criteria. If I went private it covers the cost of all the appts. For fitting tightening up and so on. So from that I would assume you would have to pay for appts. As if you don't fit the nhs criteria they won't pay.

that's changed then when I was in school they were giving braces to almost everyone even those with almost perfectly straight teeth for no apparent reason. although this was over 15 years ago.
adhkarzf

that's changed then when I was in school they were giving braces to … that's changed then when I was in school they were giving braces to almost everyone even those with almost perfectly straight teeth for no apparent reason. although this was over 15 years ago.

The country had money then
So how much is getting braces for adults privately?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants