Does the old provider's router work with a new provider?

Posted 15th Apr
by that I mean, do you have to switch around the new router the new provider sends you with the old one or can you just keep the old one plugged in and use that (despite moving to a new provider)?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

18 Comments
You will need to install the new providers router.
I'm still using the old router with the new provider
Why not just use the new router?
All depends.
I know that if you go with Sky, you have to have the Sky router.
Saying that, I never had a problem using a Plusnet router with TalkTalk and visa versa.
Norseg15/04/2019 12:31

Why not just use the new router?

Hassle of re-configuring any port forwarding / parental control filtering / VPN config / etc ?
deleted1204383
Assuming it is the same sort of connection, eg ADSL or VDSL/FTTC, then yes it will probably work fine. You might need to set the correct username/password in the router settings. And maybe a few other settings to tweak, eg MTU.

Though some ISPs lock their routers, so you are not able to change this.
chimp14uk15/04/2019 12:41

All depends. I know that if you go with Sky, you have to have the Sky …All depends. I know that if you go with Sky, you have to have the Sky router

I'm with Sky Fibre & use a Netgear D7000, so not a must to use their router. Thirdparty routers are not supported if anything goes wrong with your connection, which is fair enough. That's why I've retained Sky's router(s) for this - i.e. in case I need to call for support, I'll swap the Netgear for one of theirs.
Crossbow7 m ago

I'm with Sky Fibre & use a Netgear D7000, so not a must to use their …I'm with Sky Fibre & use a Netgear D7000, so not a must to use their router. Thirdparty routers are not supported if anything goes wrong with your connection, which is fair enough. That's why I've retained Sky's router(s) for this - i.e. in case I need to call for support, I'll swap the Netgear for one of theirs.

Ah, I see.
Well, I hoped that if I couldn't switch over the router until a couple of weeks after the switch that the new provider's signal would still work with the old provider's router.
AndyRoyd15/04/2019 13:14

Hassle of re-configuring any port forwarding / parental control filtering …Hassle of re-configuring any port forwarding / parental control filtering / VPN config / etc ?

Not really a hassle IMO
Toxiic15/04/2019 13:54

Well, I hoped that if I couldn't switch over the router until a couple of …Well, I hoped that if I couldn't switch over the router until a couple of weeks after the switch that the new provider's signal would still work with the old provider's router.

No, that most likely won't work as ISP routers come pre-configured with their own details.

Who are your old & new providers?
Norseg10 m ago

Not really a hassle IMO

Could be hassle if new ISP router doesn't support feature of existing router, although I suspect we may be diverging from OPs reason for asking.
Crossbow15/04/2019 14:00

No, that most likely won't work as ISP routers come pre-configured with …No, that most likely won't work as ISP routers come pre-configured with their own details.Who are your old & new providers?

Now Broadband old and (probably) Plusnet new.
In most cases you'd need to change the settings (the vdsl login at very least), and most ISP provided routers have custom firmware that won't allow you to change that.

If you are switching between sky and Now TV, or BT and Plusnet you'll probably be fine.

I've used an unlocked old BT hub5A that I flashed with openwrt with my last 3 ISPs and before that I used an ADSL router I was given by Netgear, and keep the ISP provided router as a spare in case I need to call support to fix a connection issue.
Edited by: "melted" 15th Apr
Toxiic20 m ago

Then you'll need to swap routers, the plusnet hub one is much better than now tv's router anyway.

Copy the wifi SSID and password from your current router to the plusnet one to avoid changing it on all your wifi devices.
Edited by: "melted" 15th Apr
Toxiic2 h, 32 m ago

As melted says above.
1 - Start with the one they provide, so if it doesn't work it's their fault so they have to fix it.

2 - If you have the username and password (plus a few other settings) on the router they provide, you can *usually* buy a new (better) router and use that. Not being able to do that is ridiculous IMO! (see point 3).

3 - SOME providers have become a bit picky... I'm using nowtv for broadband and they won't tell me the username/password so I can't swap... There's things I miss eg graphs to show usage but it's actually a decent router (people on forums rightly complain about previous nowtv routers, which were worth replacing).

Someone already asked "why not use the one they provide", which is valid... It's not like it's any harder to setup than making the necessary changes to the one you have already and they have to fix it if it goes wrong.

BUT... Advantages to using your own include:
- I like to change DNS to my preference (BT homehubs don't allow that but DO let you use your own router)
- Some provided routers have rubbish wifi (etc...) and I'd rather swap to one I *know* does what I need it to do
- Might not have enough ethernet ports (in which case use a switch instead. Netgear GS308 is my preference)
- Don't like the colour (lol but I like black, not white)

That's my take anyway
wide6 h, 24 m ago

3 - SOME providers have become a bit picky... I'm using nowtv for …3 - SOME providers have become a bit picky... I'm using nowtv for broadband and they won't tell me the username/password so I can't swap... There's things I miss eg graphs to show usage but it's actually a decent router (people on forums rightly complain about previous nowtv routers, which were worth replacing). Someone already asked "why not use the one they provide", which is valid... It's not like it's any harder to setup than making the necessary changes to the one you have already and they have to fix it if it goes wrong. BUT... Advantages to using your own include: - I like to change DNS to my preference (BT homehubs don't allow that but DO let you use your own router) - Some provided routers have rubbish wifi (etc...) and I'd rather swap to one I *know* does what I need it to do - Might not have enough ethernet ports (in which case use a switch instead. Netgear GS308 is my preference) - Don't like the colour (lol but I like black, not white) That's my take anyway

I use now TV fibre, they (sky) don't validate the username and password, just need a vdsl router that supports dhcp protocol clientid for authentication (option 61 I think). The content of clientid can be anything. VLAN needs to be 101.

My openwrt flashed bt hub 5a works fine on nowtv.

If you are on their ADSL package, I believe I've read sky logins should work and it uses standard pppoa, so the generic install@o2broadband.co.uk username should be fine, if not try something@nowtv

You can also capture the actual username and password from the nowtv router using wireshark, using the same method as with sky q router, but there should be no need to bother.
Edited by: "melted" 16th Apr
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions