Does the S7 edge need a screen protector?

Found 10th Jul 2017
Hi all, just got an S7 edge. I've been reading that apparantly the phone does not need a screen protector as the glass on it is decent and can withstand scratches from keys etc. in your pocket. How true is this? Do I need a screen protector? If so, are there any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

12 Comments

Hi, yes, from what I've read and seen, you don't really need a screen protector, just get a good case.

You can still get a cheap film screen protector to protect the screen from dust and fingerprints though

I haven't got a screen protector on mine, just a thin back cover case.

I have a S7 edge without a screen protector and it has a few tiny chips on the screen, a little scratch on the black glossy area near the front facing camera and a few hairline scratches on the back, even though it's lived inside a case. It doesn't really bother me, but if you want your phone in pristine condition, or if you're thinking about selling it after a few years then I suggest you buy one.

My partner has a screen protector on his ... he's very fussy - he always keeps his phones in mint condition.

Yes. Mine was scratched just from being in a pocket with loose change.

Original Poster

Thanks for your input all, any recommendations on a decent screen protector?
Amazon reviews are varied.
Thanks

Am I the only person who uses different pockets for different things? What monsters mix their pocket contents? X)

I don't have a screen protector for mine, but I rarely have anything in the pocket which I carry my phone in other than my phone.
Edited by: "RossD89" 10th Jul 2017

RossD89

Am I the only person who uses different pockets for different things? … Am I the only person who uses different pockets for different things? What monsters mix their pocket contents? X)I don't have a screen protector for mine, but I rarely have anything in the pocket which I carry my phone in other than my phone.

I'm with you on this. Keys in left pocket phone in right pocket job done.

gsj87

Thanks for your input all, any recommendations on a decent screen … Thanks for your input all, any recommendations on a decent screen protector?Amazon reviews are varied. Thanks

My partner has plastic on his says best one to have on it .

RossD89

Am I the only person who uses different pockets for different things? … Am I the only person who uses different pockets for different things? What monsters mix their pocket contents? X)I don't have a screen protector for mine, but I rarely have anything in the pocket which I carry my phone in other than my phone.

Yep, who puts keys and coins in the same pocket as their phone!?? Recipe for disaster/scratches

All phones need a screen protector if you want to avoid little micro scratches - chiefly because if a piece of hard mineral gets in your pocket then your phone screen will get scratched. No matter what people tell you about Gorilla Glass - even the latest GG5 - it is no more resistant to scratches than ever, and in fact lots of things can easily scratch any phone screen if you're unfortunately. People will tell you that they don't scratch, or that theirs haven't scratched but they're either very lucky or not very fussy.

One of the most common minerals on earth is quartz, which can easily scratch a phone screen - particularly if you're anywhere near a beach. Rich girls will often get scratches on their screen from their diamond earrings or rings as these only have to touch a screen to scratch it.

In the end it depends whether you care. If you want an absolutely pristine phone with no micro scratches then you absolutely should use a screen protector and ignore anyone who tells you the phone doesn't need one; if you aren't bothered about micro scratches and are generally careful to only keep your phone in a dedicated pocket then you shouldn't suffer any bad scratches. Ultimately it depends how OCD you are!

As for screen protectors, I've been through more glass ones than I care to think about with the S7 Edge and S8 and they're all rubbish. The only type that reliably fits these screens is the InvisibleShield style rubbery protectors - even Samsung only makes this kind of screen protector. I guess curved glass on curved glass just doesn't work very well.

Be aware that the InvisibleShield style protectors are not all that easy to fit, and you'll probably get a lot of bubbles - they disappear after a week or so though.

They're all crap for the edge. Get a decent case and insurance for any accidental drops.

Keep it in a different pocket from your keys and it'll be fine.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants